Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | internet connection problems

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

internet connection problems

Old 06-09-2011, 21:51   #1
fudge
Inactive

fudge is on a distinguished roadfudge is on a distinguished road
internet connection problems

I have a wireless connection to the internet . while i was on the net today i suddenly lost connection .
When i got back on my home page dissplayed but when i tried other web. sites it would not load them.
I turned of the mains to reboot box but still nothing happened .
All the lights on my virgin box were on that are ment to be on but still no joy.
Then i noticed that on my belkin router there is a sighn that looks like the world and this was not flashing which i thought it should be .
I pushed all cables in to make sure none were loose then a while later that world light started flashing, i then tried to connect again and this time alls working .
Could the belkin box be on its way out , when i pushed wires in they did not seem loose and the world light did not flash straight away so im not sure if this was the problem.
Also if this light keeps stoping and i have to get a new wireless box is it a straight forward swop as i have this box security enabled. many thanks
fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2011, 22:01   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: internet connection problems

you have a lifetime warranty with your belkin router, contact belkin support. they have a live chat option so you don't have to call premium lines. if it needs replacing they will replace it.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 22:08   #3
fudge
Inactive

Thanks thenry i did not know about the life time warranty
Old 06-09-2011, 22:11   #4
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

I don't know for sure but judging by your post you have. The old Belkins routers all have lifetime warranties.

open this link, fill it out and submit to speak to an agent...
http://en-uk-support.belkin.com/app/...Q2ZHJEaw%3D%3D
Old 07-09-2011, 17:34   #5
fudge
Inactive

I have just come home from work to find my internet down again. This time all lights on the belkin seem to be all on but the ready light on my ntl 200 box was out . I rebooted this and all ok for half hour then i lost connection again. when i checked the ready light was out again so i picked up the ntl box to check connections in this and when i tipped box up the ready light came back on with out a reeboot . like theres a loose wire someware . So perhaps its not the belkin thats at fault but the ntl box instead. Would virgin send me another if i phoned them .
Old 07-09-2011, 17:39   #6
thenry
Inactive

yes. tell them what you've just said, its faulty etc. and they should send you new modem.
Old 07-09-2011, 21:30   #7
fudge
Inactive

I have spoken to virgin and there sending out an engineer sat pm
Old 10-09-2011, 13:17   #8
fudge
Inactive

Still have problems , came home from work on thursday and a message was on my answer phone saying many people in my area have complained of the same problem so engineers are working on it and this may be my problem so my appointment is now cancelled .
I phoned to say no i will cancelle if my problem gets fixed , to be told we have allready given someone else your appointment . so an engineer was then booked to come to me on monday night between 4-7 and the guy said its a good idea if i have a new modem as mine is getting old .
Today sat. i phoned to see what time my modem may come and also confirmed the monday appointment to be told virgin have again cancelled and now booked again for tuesday eve .
Anyway in the meentime my new wifi modem has arrived i phoned to get it acctivated then got put through to a tech . who has got me connected to the net. ( so far no dissconections ) but am unable to connect wifi .
My wifi light is on but i have a message at the bottom of my screen telling the LAN wifi card is dissconected so unable to go wirsless . i was on phone for an hour to the tech and we checked my wifi updates are ok . So dont know if its a coincidence that my card has gone down .
My son has a wifi laptop but his at work today so i will get him to try his later . If he cant connect wifi what could be the problem . The tech guy said alls well from there end to my home. And to get my LAN card checked by a computer shop.
I dont know if the engineer if he comes on tuesday will be able to help.
Old 10-09-2011, 13:26   #9
thenry
Inactive

why do you want to connect 1 pc to the hub via both ethernet and cable?
Old 10-09-2011, 13:32   #10
fudge
Inactive

i dont know what you meen , i just want to connect wifi and not have to use the ethernet cable like i have to at the moment .
Old 10-09-2011, 13:37   #11
thenry
Inactive

are you behind a firewall? have you updated the wireless cards drivers? have you tried re-installing the wireless network card?
Old 10-09-2011, 18:26   #12
fudge
Inactive

i have just tried again conecting to wireless , and a message is coming up unable to find a wireless connection.
My son is unabel to connect wireless as well on his lap top.

Also if i click on conect to then a list of wifi connections come up my old connection is displayed now with a red cross through and says The savings set on this computor for the net work do not match the requirements of the net work. i dont know what that means.
so at the moment i now have internet access but unable to connect wireless. so am lost of what i should do.
Old 10-09-2011, 18:53   #13
thenry
Inactive

have you reconnected your belkin device or are you trying to connect to the VM hub ?

the vm hub has a network name and password already set up, look at the back/bottom of the hub. have you gone over the settings on the hub using 182.168.0.1 in your browser.
Old 10-09-2011, 19:06   #14
fudge
Inactive

im not useing my old belkin i have a virgin netgear built in wifi
my wire less card allso has the latest updates. when i was on phone to tech. he got me to change the net work name / pass word. In end told me to go to computor repair shop. i know my pc is ok because my sons having same prob. with his lap top.
Old 10-09-2011, 19:16   #15
thenry
Inactive

did the tech try remotely? did he do anything to your computer from his side ?

repair shop, they need to be sent to the repair shop.

does your laptop or any other device pick up the network when searching for the networks?

what security is set up on your computer, firewall?

have you gone over settings via 192.168.0.1