Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 22:42   #1096
isf
Inactive

isf is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
No I never had a vote on the poll can I have my vote now a no

On another note just decided after visiting webwise to find and delete its cookie gues what my webwise search brought up...
Those __utmz are google analytics cookies set by sites linked from this forum. The referer is sent by your web browser whenever you click on a link, I always disable it.
Advertisement
Old 11-03-2008, 22:45   #1097
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

found couple articles on the register.

One is about US consumer watchdog the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is calling for a bigger stick with which to punish spyware makers.

Maybe this why phorm come here first and maybe they trying to get out of there claws.

Another couple show extreme dangers what phorm could easily cause.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10...are_sanctions/

A Yahoo-owned advertising network became the unwitting ally of cyber crooks after it spewed millions of Trojan-laced banner ads on MySpace, PhotoBucket and other websites.

You wonder what would happen if this attack happened in PHORM. What sort information could be gained and how many computers could be infested.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...areware_peril/

even another warning to what could potentially is likely to happen.

Basically Phorm is most likely end up the trojan horse for many sicko's to try and infest its dirty deeds and thats if phorm intentions are sincere themselves which I doubt.
Old 11-03-2008, 23:00   #1098
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
Would someone please post e-mail links for who to write to at Virgin Media regarding this Phorm business? I know it sounds weak, but the VM customer zone site is such a pile, I can never find anything useful on it, particularly when it comes to contacting them (come to think of it, that's probably what they're aiming for...).
I understand that the only legally provable way of contacting them is by registered snail mail, but until I can get that letter knocked into shape, I'd like to fire off as many e-mails as I can to VM on this subject to make sure they get the message that it's not going away...

Ta.

Why not just use Rob's letter, instead of email?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34492295-post128.html

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddy1 View Post
I was Just on my way home listening to Chris Evans and the news reader on there spoke to the CEO of Phorm and according to him, that we the public have voted for this in huge amounts with our internet providers with all the on line polls we have filled in?????

ROFL. All the online polls I have seen have been overwhelmingly *against* Phorm.

The only polls I can think which would ever be in favour would be rather misleading ones which do not ask the right questions (like Largerme's survey question of "Would you prefer more relevant adverts as opposed to irrelevant ones?").
Old 11-03-2008, 23:15   #1099
Morden
Inactive

Services: Cable, Freeview DVD recorder, telephone L, BB L, TV xl, V+
Morden will become famous soon enoughMorden will become famous soon enoughMorden will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
this was his answer.

The particular server or software is less important than who controls them. The ISP will own the equipment but it may be running software from Phorm. However, the ISP has full visibility of the data that is flowing, and full control over it. As I said, the bottom line is that the ISP ensures that if you opt out, your data is never passed to Phorm.

so read yes your data goes to the Phorm kit in the Virgin POP site.

Yes Virgin will have full visibility of all my surfing habits via Phorm Deep Packet Inspection software. The question will be

Do i trust Virgin Media with that data. The answer is no due to the fact they are selling my data to a spyware and root kit company.

Could this company have a backdoor program sending the data anyway no matter what Virgin Do.

Would you trust that arrangement ????

So it looks like i will be moving to BE.

Any ISP has access to your browsing habits if they wish. In fact even business networks have this kind of access, if they keep the router logs, you dont need phorm to see what users are up to. LOL you dont need deep packet inspection, sniffers do a lot that already and I bet any network admin will have that kind of tool. even basic home routers let you log outgoing/incoming traffic and they have basic functionality and I have a packet sniffer at home to see what the kids are up to, you just need plenty of space for the logs.

I'm not condoning phorm, but Virgin dont need phorm to see what you do.
Old 11-03-2008, 23:19   #1100
Shin Gouki
Inactive

Shin Gouki is an unknown quantity at this point

My contract with Virgin Media is up at the end of the month.

Originally I was just going to get rid of just the broadband but now I might just **** the whole lot off and get me an HD TV and got SKY HD.

I've been with "Telewest" since the company was born but since VM took over it's gone to crappa.

Now I'm about to push the flush!
Old 11-03-2008, 23:35   #1101
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

thanks saved me a bit of time that
Old 11-03-2008, 23:38   #1102
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post

Thanks Matt. It looks good - does anyone know if this letter actually constitutes a DPA notice?

Rob - have you had reply from VM yet?
Old 11-03-2008, 23:51   #1103
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

For those who wish to jump ship since VM seem hell bent on self distruction I have been givien a link to half price reconnection to BT offer closes may 2008 but have to have a BT option 1, 2 or 3 for 18 months, I hasten to add this is just telephone..

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/p...Impl133605.htm

Quote:
44/07 BT Together Option 1, 2 or 3 - Half Price Line Connection Special Offer

This Special Offer is available to eligible residential customers between 9th November 2007 until 9th May 2008 (inclusive) who agree to take BT Together Option 1, 2 or 3 for a minimum period of 18 months.
---------- Post added at 23:51 ---------- Previous post was at 23:47 ----------

A link to watch nice colour to graph. http://www.iii.co.uk/investment/deta...MX5550.L&it=li
Old 11-03-2008, 23:59   #1104
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morden View Post
<snip>I bet any network admin will have that kind of tool. even basic home routers let you log outgoing/incoming traffic and they have basic functionality and I have a packet sniffer at home to see what the kids are up to, you just need plenty of space for the logs.

I'm not condoning phorm, but Virgin dont need phorm to see what you do.
No, all Phorm is doing is datamining that data that as you note takes plenty of space into something useable and smaller.
Old 12-03-2008, 00:13   #1105
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogermevans View Post
thanks saved me a bit of time that
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
Thanks Matt. It looks good - does anyone know if this letter actually constitutes a DPA notice?

Rob - have you had reply from VM yet?

I assume Rob would know if it constitutes one or not. [Rob?]

[And if anyone else knows if it does/doesn't, then chip in! Anything else needed for the letter? ]

Rob said previously (can't remember how many pages back though) that he has had a reply from VM, but is waiting on a scanner.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:28   #1106
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

A couple of Quotes for customers of VM.

Quote:
“In the world of Internet Customer Service, it's important to remember your competitor is only one mouse click away.”
Doug Warner

“Never underestimate the power of the irate customer.”
Joel Ross
Old 12-03-2008, 08:17   #1107
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

I've just thought of a massive flaw in Webwise that will render a lot of its targeted ads largely irrelevent to me. (Apologies if this has already been dicussed, but this particular penny has just dropped)

Assume that I fully embrace the concept and happily start using it, letting the system profile and pigeon-hole me to its hearts content.
Periodically, I will have a burst of activity on a particular subject, for example, I'm looking for a new car. I then start getting ads for cars etc. Great, I guess it's helping.

However, at some point my interest in this subject will stop (when I get a new car). At this point the car ads start to become an annoyance, especially if my next burst of activity is on a new TV. I'm now getting ads for cars when I want ads for TV's. The ads I'm now getting from this targetted ad system are now un-targetted.

What if the system matches me up with lots of different ad channels? They will appear to me to be random and untargetted. At this stage you have to ask, what is the point of Webwise?

Can the overworked PhormPR slave comment on how the ads are kept relevant through time and cater for changing subject focus?

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:21   #1108
aMIGA_dUDE
Inactive

aMIGA_dUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

It interesting to read Ofcom view on thing like recoding phone calls and it not giant leap to this SPYCOMS business, if you get my way of thinking.

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archi...qs/prvfaq3.htm
Old 12-03-2008, 11:15   #1109
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

I'm wondering if there will be an option to switch off adverts for baby stuff in case of loss of a child as there is for junk mail?

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/bmpsr/
Old 12-03-2008, 12:56   #1110
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting stuff from ORG (sourced via BBC article)
http://www.openrightsgroup.org/2008/...he-phorm-storm
Closed Thread