Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Help please

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Help please

Old 04-03-2005, 19:28   #16
paulyoung666
Permanently Banned

paulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
paulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny starpaulyoung666 has a nice shiny star
Re: Help please

a likely candidate for most helpful thread of the month i reckon
paulyoung666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-03-2005, 19:32   #17
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
Thanks Raistlin, you have been a GREAT help, much appreciated. Im just shocked help like this is free
You're more than welcome. I've had enough help from people here in the past, it's good to be able to give some back.

And, you'd be suprised what you can get for free:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ght=free+stuff
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 21:36   #18
kash
Inactive

kash is an unknown quantity at this point

haha, couldnt find a free wireless router though
kash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 22:11   #19
Raistlin
Inactive

Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Nah, sorry - if I find one I'll let you know.

Good luck getting your wireless set up, if you get any problems you know where we are
Old 06-03-2005, 00:44   #20
kash
Inactive

Hi again, i need some help getting an internet connection working through my wireless router. basically the guy in the shop told me to wire it up and input in the internet protocol the ip address, subnet mask and dns details. I found these by typing ipcinfig/all in command promt. The network seems to be setup, but i cant actually get on the internet. i tried following the Cable Modem Setup Without the Broadjump advice, but i still cant get on to teh registration page.

please can someone help and tell me where Im going wrong
Old 06-03-2005, 00:51   #21
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

You shouldn't manually specify the IP, DNS, etc.

The router should be set to obtain an IP & DNS automatically - this is usually the default option.

The PC's network card should (to make it easier) be set to obtain an IP & DNS automatically. It will receive these from the router's DHCP server (which should be turned on - normally by default).

The STB needs to be rebooted. Then, you need to register the MAC address of the router - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d...r.html#pacereg
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00   #22
kash
Inactive

Ok thanks matt il give it a go
Old 06-03-2005, 02:25   #23
kash
Inactive

ok, Im not sure what just happened. I did exactly what you said. Then when I booted onto windows, I got an ntl page saying im connected to a new settop box Then asked me to give my pid and password. I did so and then it asked me to name my compter. I did then the only options were logout, add a computer, rename existing computers or delete a computer. I couldnt go on any other websites. I then tried adding a computer name and it told me to reboot my STB. I did that and rebooted my pc and now its working through my router.

Thanks for the quick reply matt

ok, how do I get the dongle that I I put in my laptop's usb to pick up the signal from the wireless router. Iv installed the router's/donge's driver. It detects it.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:46   #24
Raistlin
Inactive

Go to Control Panel > Network Connections

The USB Dongle should appear in there

Right Click on it and select "View Available Wireless Connections"

It should detect the wireless connetion for your router, if it does just highlight it and hit "Connect"

You will need to set up all the wireless security features for the router (this is usually straight forward enough), look in your manual for setting up WEP keys and MAC address filtering

Have fun!
Old 06-03-2005, 15:02   #25
kash
Inactive

yeah, I tried that, but it says no wireless networks were found in range. Then I refresh it and one comes up which is security protected and it doesnt let me connect to that.

I still havent registered the router with ntl yet it seems to be working, is that anything to do with it?
Old 06-03-2005, 15:08   #26
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by kash
I still havent registered the router with ntl yet it seems to be working, is that anything to do with it?

Ah, but you have registered the router with ntl - it's what you did here
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 15:10   #27
kash
Inactive

Fair enough, I was expecting to have to type the mac and serial numbers.

If thats not it, what can be the problem.
Old 06-03-2005, 16:42   #28
Raistlin
Inactive

Hi kash,

Sorry mate, been building my new desk so everything's been offline for a while.

What name does it give to the wireless network that it finds?

If you go into the router control panel what wireless network name has been assigned to the router? (Look for something that says SSID, or wireless network name.)

Are the two the same?

If they are it could be that the network that is being found is your own, and that the reason it won't let you access it is because you have set up the WEP but you haven't specified it within the USB devices connection properties.

Have a look and if that doesn't get you anywhere we can try something else (not sure what yet though ).

BTW, when you first click on View Available Wireless Networks it won't show your home network unless you are connected. Clicking on the Refresh option will force it to find the network.
I'm prepared to be that the one it is finding is your home one.
Old 06-03-2005, 18:21   #29
kash
Inactive

hope yuor desks goin better than my connection

Iv got something to do with the router in my task manager on my laptop. In there I found the same SSID number that is on the router. Enable encryption(wep key)is ticked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin

BTW, when you first click on View Available Wireless Networks it won't show your home network unless you are connected. Clicking on the Refresh option will force it to find the network.
I'm prepared to be that the one it is finding is your home one.
yeah I did that, but it wouldnt let me connect. now it just says windows cannot configure the wireless connection. Then it tells me if im using some other software then i should use that or alternatively windows can do it for me
Old 06-03-2005, 18:56   #30
Raistlin
Inactive

Ok, let's try something.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections

There should be an icon in there representing your wireless device.
Right-Click on it and select properties.
Select the Wireless Networks tab.

Does your wireless network (the one you are trying to connect to) come up in the "Preferred Networks" box?

If it does, highlight it and click on the Properties button. Check that the Data Encryption option is set to WEP and that the WEP key you have setup on the router is entered into the two boxes available.

Let me know how you get on with that.