Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Russia has invaded Ukraine

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Russia has invaded Ukraine

Old 23-04-2024, 18:04   #2791
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Russia has invaded Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
You clearly have a problem with the Ukrainian's fighting for their country so let me ask you this question: if you were in charge of Ukraine and could do anything, what would you do to end this conflict today?
With an addendum

"And that would stop a repeat of the same thing happening again, Oblast by Oblast"
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-04-2024, 18:19   #2792
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
You clearly have a problem with the Ukrainian's fighting for their country so let me ask you this question: if you were in charge of Ukraine and could do anything, what would you do to end this conflict today?
Your question is based upon a false assumption where you have inferred something I have not said, nor implied.

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
With an addendum

"And that would stop a repeat of the same thing happening again, Oblast by Oblast"
I’m sorry but the bogey man of perpetual Russian aggression doesn’t warrant sacrificing every Ukrainian man of fighting age in a war it is both losing and being inadequately resourced by its supposed allies.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2024, 18:27   #2793
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Your question is based upon a false assumption where you have inferred something I have not said, nor implied.
I have not inferred anything. I ask again, and it is a simple question: what do you think Ukraine should do today to stop what you see as a "meat grinder"?
Old 23-04-2024, 18:37   #2794
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I have not inferred anything. I ask again, and it is a simple question: what do you think Ukraine should do today to stop what you see as a "meat grinder"?
Sorry Ian that’s a nonsense.

Your own words were:

Quote:
You clearly have a problem with the Ukrainian's fighting for their country
I absolutely reject this framing of the argument, just as I rejected that every post criticising Israel has to condemn Hamas first.

This framing is no more valid than me claiming you are happy to sacrifice Ukranians for Polish, Latvian, or anyone else’s security. How many Ukranians have to die before you’d countenance Ukraine negotiating a settlement and I ask again what mechanism can this be conveyed by the people if the Zelensky regime will not?

Last edited by jfman; 23-04-2024 at 18:49.
Old 23-04-2024, 18:55   #2795
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Sorry Ian that’s a nonsense.

Your own words were:

I absolutely reject this framing of the argument, just as I rejected that every post criticising Israel has to condemn Hamas first.

This framing is no more valid than me claiming you are happy to sacrifice Ukranians for Polish, Latvian, or anyone else’s security. How many Ukranians have to die before you’d countenance Ukraine negotiating a settlement and I ask again what mechanism can this be conveyed by the people if the Zelensky regime will not?
Ok, some progress:

Quote:
How many Ukranians have to die before you’d countenance Ukraine negotiating a settlement
So you think Ukraine should negotiate a settlement so what territory do you think they cede to achieve peace (if any)?
Old 23-04-2024, 19:02   #2796
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Ok, some progress:
No progress. That was a question for you from which you have once again inferred an opinion I hadn’t stated in that post.

Would you be willing to sacrifice them all for Polish security? Til the last Ukranian? Do the conscripts get a choice?
Old 23-04-2024, 19:21   #2797
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
what territory do you think they cede to achieve peace (if any)?
Well they haven’t had Crimea for a decade. They, and the West, gave it up with so much as a whimper.

Along with Donetsk and Luhansk, so they are already effectively part of Russia’s hand. What would now be up for negotiation would be the territory Russia has occupied and held since the invasion of 2022.

What territory they cede would be up to them, as part of any negotiation.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Quote:
With an addendum

Well as someone of more mature years Hugh, and of an exMilitary background, I can assume that if you had to go to war on the frontline you wouldn’t hesitate, as seen as as all the 25-35yr olds were dead.
Old 23-04-2024, 22:40   #2798
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No progress. That was a question for you from which you have once again inferred an opinion I hadn’t stated in that post.

Would you be willing to sacrifice them all for Polish security? Til the last Ukranian? Do the conscripts get a choice?
Another post where you criticise the current Ukrainian strategy yet are unwilling to declare what you think they should actually do.

Forget what I want, what do you think they should do? Last attempt on my part. If you, yet again, dance around the question and mock the current attempts for Ukraine to defend itself, I can only conclude you have no serious intent to debate this subject.
Old 24-04-2024, 07:49   #2799
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Another post where you criticise the current Ukrainian strategy yet are unwilling to declare what you think they should actually do.

Forget what I want, what do you think they should do? Last attempt on my part. If you, yet again, dance around the question and mock the current attempts for Ukraine to defend itself, I can only conclude you have no serious intent to debate this subject.
No, no, no Ian your wilful misinterpretation of my posts doesn't allow you to dictate debate here. The post you quoted doesn't refer to Ukrainian strategy at all - unless you actually think it is "til the last Ukrainian" or sacrificing them for Polish security. If you think millions of dead Ukrainian conscripts is a price worth paying for Polish security that says far more about you than me.

Knowing what know from your keyboard would you be willing to take up arms on Zelensky's front line? Would you encourage your children or grandchildren?

If (or when) Zelensky comes calling for Ukrainian men under 60 in the UK to be sent for slaughter at the hands of the Russian army should we deport them forthwith?

Last edited by jfman; 24-04-2024 at 07:54.
Old 24-04-2024, 07:57   #2800
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://wapo.st/4d7FDKZ

Quote:
The Senate overwhelmingly passed a $95 billion foreign aid bill on Tuesday, delivering billions of dollars in weapons and support to key U.S. allies Ukraine and Israel despite some opposition from both parties’ bases. The legislation, which passed by a 79-18 vote, had seemed all but dead for several months due to opposition in the GOP-led House.
Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.

President Biden said in a statement he would sign the bill into law as soon as it crosses his desk on Wednesday, and send aid to Ukraine this week. The funds help him deliver on his promise to the nation’s NATO allies to continue to aid Ukraine as it enters its third year fending off Russia’s invasion.
Old 24-04-2024, 08:22   #2801
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No, no, no Ian your wilful misinterpretation of my posts doesn't allow you to dictate debate here. The post you quoted doesn't refer to Ukrainian strategy at all - unless you actually think it is "til the last Ukrainian" or sacrificing them for Polish security. If you think millions of dead Ukrainian conscripts is a price worth paying for Polish security that says far more about you than me.

Knowing what know from your keyboard would you be willing to take up arms on Zelensky's front line? Would you encourage your children or grandchildren?

If (or when) Zelensky comes calling for Ukrainian men under 60 in the UK to be sent for slaughter at the hands of the Russian army should we deport them forthwith?
This is really surreal. I am asking a very simple question here and you vector off to criticise me for all sorts of weird stuff.

If you are unable (or unwilling) to say what you would change to stop the very thing you are criticising then there is no debate to be had here.
Old 24-04-2024, 08:31   #2802
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
This is really surreal. I am asking a very simple question here and you vector off to criticise me for all sorts of weird stuff.

If you are unable (or unwilling) to say what you would change to stop the very thing you are criticising then there is no debate to be had here.
There's nothing weird about calling you out for misinterpreting my posts.

That's three in a row now. There's nothing weird about asking if you wouldn't go to the front line to die, nor would you be happy for children or grandchildren to, why unwilling Ukrainian men should by virtue of where they were born.

I'm past dealing with your nonsense but Pierre's post 2797 above makes some pertinent points you have completely ignored in favour of this tedious line.

Last edited by jfman; 24-04-2024 at 08:34.
Old 24-04-2024, 09:26   #2803
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

---------- Post added at 18:19 ---------- Previous post was at 18:12 ----------

I’m sorry but the bogey man of perpetual Russian aggression doesn’t warrant sacrificing every Ukrainian man of fighting age in a war it is both losing and being inadequately resourced by its supposed allies.
Comrade* Haw-Haw, a bogey man is imaginary - Russia’s actions in Chechnya, Georgia, Transnistria, & Ukraine are very real…

*Tankies don’t believe in Lords…
Old 24-04-2024, 10:02   #2804
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There's nothing weird about calling you out for misinterpreting my posts.

That's three in a row now. There's nothing weird about asking if you wouldn't go to the front line to die, nor would you be happy for children or grandchildren to, why unwilling Ukrainian men should by virtue of where they were born.

I'm past dealing with your nonsense but Pierre's post 2797 above makes some pertinent points you have completely ignored in favour of this tedious line.
*Sigh* I am not misinterpreting anything. You rant about unwilling Ukrainians being killed yet you cannot say what should happen to stop it. I think most here would express an opinion on what should happen next.

I think what you don't say, says everything.
Old 24-04-2024, 10:27   #2805
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
*Sigh* I am not misinterpreting anything. You rant about unwilling Ukrainians being killed yet you cannot say what should happen to stop it. I think most here would express an opinion on what should happen next.

I think what you don't say, says everything.
This was not said in the post you quoted.

Quote:
You clearly have a problem with the Ukrainian's fighting for their country
Nor this in the post quoted:

Quote:
Another post where you criticise the current Ukrainian strategy
You may be overdosing on the pro-Ukranian kool aid and believe recapturing Crimea is achievable, and happy to commit the Ukrainian male population to die for it.

However somewhere else (in the real world) there has to be consideration of at least the possibility for some that dying in an ill equipped, never ending and futile war isn’t any more desirable for the average Ukrainians than it is for you from the luxury of your keyboard. How they would extract themselves from that is a good question. I refer again to Pierre’s post that you have not addressed while you persist in misrepresenting mine.

Under Zelensky, they’d need to kill him first.

---------- Post added at 10:27 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Quote:
Comrade* Haw-Haw, a bogey man is imaginary - Russia’s actions in Chechnya, Georgia, Transnistria, & Ukraine are very real…

*Tankies don’t believe in Lords…
For the purposes of this post only, I’ll concede the point and say it still doesn’t warrant sacrificing every Ukrainian man of fighting age in a war it is both losing and being inadequately resourced by its supposed allies.

What steps Ukraine, NATO, or anyone else could take between now and then to better resource the front line more than ritual human sacrifice would be welcome.