Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 29-08-2021, 10:50   #2116
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

There are global supply issues with blood test tubes but challenges at the UK border are not helping.
Quote:
NHS blood test tube shortage: Doctors 'facing difficult choices'

There are currently global shortages of blood tube products and company Becton Dickinson - which makes vials for the health service - is among those facing serious supply chain issues.

Becton Dickinson said it had seen record demand for its blood collection tubes in recent months, partly driven by the need for tests for Covid patients. It also said it was facing issues transporting the tubes, for example, challenges at the UK border.

Because of the shortage, the NHS in England and Wales has told surgeries and hospitals to temporarily stop some blood testing - with patients told they will only be able to get tests if they are urgent.

The tests put on hold include those for fertility, allergies and pre-diabetes - and the shortage will likely worsen over the next few weeks and last until mid-September, NHS England said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58374553
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2021, 14:04   #2117
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

So … one single line in that entire report justifies you trying to make it a Brexit talking point? You’re properly obsessed.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 14:12   #2118
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
So … one single line in that entire report justifies you trying to make it a Brexit talking point? You’re properly obsessed.
He's just bottom trawling the net for crumbs of comfort.
Old 29-08-2021, 15:59   #2119
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
A lot of chickens coming home to roost. Will all get sorted in the wash eventually. Wages will rise as companies compete for direct labour; prices will rise accordingly. All as in water finding its own level.
Which is fine so long as you’re not one of the many on benefits and perhaps end up further in either food or fuel poverty or both.
Old 29-08-2021, 19:42   #2120
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
He is that.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2021, 23:21   #2121
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

It’s heading towards an illness, time to get in the big chair and get it all off your chest ………and move forward as a constructive member of society
Old 31-08-2021, 10:19   #2122
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
El Gov has clearly decided to make an example of the haulage industry.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58364308
Looping back to this, there's an estimated eighty thousand current licensed & experienced drivers in the UK who currently are working in other careers. Which is pretty much enough to fill the shortage.

It can't be because of a lack of vacancies....
Pay is increasing to an extent, along with significant signing on bonues with certain companies

I wonder why they're not flocking in their droves back to the career in which they trained ?
Old 31-08-2021, 10:31   #2123
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Too much red tape and alterations to the working practice of HGV driving?

In the past I've done delivery jobs using a 7.5T van, used to enjoy it, but then you were suddenly required to have certificates for this that and the other, paid for by yourself of course, which made it not worth doing when there were other joba around that didn't try to hamstring you
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 10:39   #2124
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Too much red tape and alterations to the working practice of HGV driving?

In the past I've done delivery jobs using a 7.5T van, used to enjoy it, but then you were suddenly required to have certificates for this that and the other, paid for by yourself of course, which made it not worth doing when there were other joba around that didn't try to hamstring you

I would think the above is a possibility, I think potentially higher up in the priority would be those who are engaged in the practice known as 'tramping' whereby drivers are away from home multiple days.

I've done my time travelling for work, and whilst enjoyable I'm glad it's no longer a consistent requirement.

Regardless, of the above we get to ask some interesting questions.

1. How do you entice existing licenced drivers who are currently in other fields of employment back into the profession?

2. How do you make the profession appealing to potential new hires?

3. If 1 & 2 cannot be achieved, how do we fill the gap until such time as self driving/automated HGV's become 'a thing' ?
Old 31-08-2021, 10:52   #2125
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Don't HGV drivers have to regularly drive to keep license active? There was article on BBC about FlyBe pilot who could go back to trucks because we worked as driver while doing pilot training so only had short time of not driving.
Old 31-08-2021, 10:55   #2126
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I would think the above is a possibility, I think potentially higher up in the priority would be those who are engaged in the practice known as 'tramping' whereby drivers are away from home multiple days.

I've done my time travelling for work, and whilst enjoyable I'm glad it's no longer a consistent requirement.

Regardless, of the above we get to ask some interesting questions.

1. How do you entice existing licenced drivers who are currently in other fields of employment back into the profession?

2. How do you make the profession appealing to potential new hires?

3. If 1 & 2 cannot be achieved, how do we fill the gap until such time as self driving/automated HGV's become 'a thing' ?
Free full English every day
Old 31-08-2021, 11:22   #2127
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Free full English every day
Good call
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 11:33   #2128
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Good call
Kippers for me. You can't get them in the EU.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2021, 11:35   #2129
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Full South African breakfast is good too. Add some pap and a bit of steak.
Old 31-08-2021, 11:46   #2130
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Full South African breakfast is good too. Add some pap and a bit of steak.
I had a full Australian in Sydney a good many years ago.
The waitress asked me what I thought of it. I replied fine except that the sausages had too much meat in them. Her retort was "Whinging POM".

Do you know - I don't remember a single breakfast I had during my year in South Africa?

In the EU, the best breakfast I can recall was a fresh "broedtchen" filled with raw pork and raw onions. "thüringer mett " it was called.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote