Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | TV Show Snippets & General Information

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television

TV Show Snippets & General Information

Old 22-01-2008, 07:10   #511
Alien
Inactive

Services: VM Phone, V+, VM 10Mb
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Re: Science Fiction, Fantasy, and other Snippets

Just read the whole thread, so a few more points/posts to respond to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homealone View Post
I've just heard about a new Sci Fi series, which should show in 2005, called Starhyke.

A bit more info at

http://www.starhyke.com/
The site still says it's supposed to be showing in 2007. I'm not sure what to think of it. The only thing that would get me to give it a chance is that it has Claudia Christian in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I also remember Earth: Final Conflict. Lasted more than one season, but still got killed prematurely in the end.
5 seasons is still better than a lot of shows manage these days. I've got season 1 on DVD, I'm hoping they'll bring out the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantis View Post
Anyone have a favourite theme tune or music from their sci-fi shows they love to hear?
Not sure if I have just 1 favourite. Earth: Final Conflict would be on the list, as would Voyager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
I'm annoyed that The Dresden Files was cancelled though. I thought the 1st season showed a lot of potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognitas View Post
The books are soooo much better...
Absolutely! If they'd made the series more like the books it might have lasted longer. Can't wait for the next 1, due out in April, IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverwar View Post
Trailer for Pixar's Wall-E
Stupid websites removing videos! Grrr! :mad Fortunately, I found it on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblUO0LjPUg
Not sure if that's the same version as was previously linked to, but I thought I'd post a link in case anyone hasn't seen it. It looks good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers View Post
Don't you remember them spinning in ToS?
I remember something spinning in ToS, but thought that was just cheesey bad effects or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson T View Post
I could be geeky and point out that they are part of the magnetic field system that works the ships Bussard ram scoop system, which us used to gather fuel in an emergency. But I don't think I will.

You can also see the scoops bring used in next gen and on the 1701e to blow up a sonar ship, I do believe that the front of the nacelles on the e also wobble due to the presence of the "turbine blades"
I recall the Bussard collectors, it's just the whole concept of moving parts in a Starfleet starship engine... it just seems so... primitive.
Alien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-01-2008, 10:18   #512
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

The Bussard ramscoop collectors are used to gather hydrogen to replenish the fuel systems. They are not only used in emergencies.

See here full info
Quote:
the main function a Starfleet Bussard collector is to collect interstellar hydrogen atoms for fuel replenishment. The device consists of a set of coils which generate a magnetic field. Collected gases are compressed and stored into holding tanks.
Old 22-01-2008, 18:47   #513
Alien
Inactive

Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze
Alien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronzeAlien is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthYoda View Post
The Bussard ramscoop collectors are used to gather hydrogen to replenish the fuel systems. They are not only used in emergencies.

See here full info
None of which would explain the use of moving parts in the form of what looks like turbine blades in the trailer.
Old 22-01-2008, 18:53   #514
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Sure it would. If it's supposedly sucking stuff in from space......
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 18:57   #515
Alien
Inactive

Quote:
Sure it would. If it's supposedly sucking stuff in from space......
Sucking with magnetic fields, not a turbine.
Old 22-01-2008, 19:09   #516
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

You DO know it's make belive right?
Old 22-01-2008, 19:14   #517
Alien
Inactive

Quote:
You DO know it's make belive right?
Ye cannae change the laws of physics.
Old 22-01-2008, 19:15   #518
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

...unless it's star trek.
Old 22-01-2008, 19:21   #519
Alien
Inactive

Quote:
...unless it's star trek.
Yeah, but even in Star Trek the idea of using a turbine in a vacuum is just... silly.
Old 22-01-2008, 19:29   #520
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

I get the feeling I'm going to he thinking that about a lot of things with new new film.

But its life the universal translator making everybody speak English even down to their lips synching on a video in English too, you just give it a nod and a wink.
Old 22-01-2008, 20:34   #521
Alien
Inactive

Quote:
I get the feeling I'm going to he thinking that about a lot of things with new new film.

But its life the universal translator making everybody speak English even down to their lips synching on a video in English too, you just give it a nod and a wink.
Some things, maybe. The universal translator issue is probably similar to why they didn't bother inventing a new language for every alien species in Stargate: it would be too much hassle/effort. But when it comes to physically representing something that even someone with a basic knowledge of physics knows is silly, when it would be simpler & less effort to represent something more feasible [e.g. field coils], it just makes no sense.
Old 22-01-2008, 20:43   #522
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

It's the laws of physics, pass a current through a magnetic field and you get motion, it's how motors work.
Obviously as the hydrogen atoms get pulled in, the magnetic field strips them of their electrons making them ions, which carry a charge.
Simple really.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 21:00   #523
Alien
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaccers View Post
It's the laws of physics, pass a current through a magnetic field and you get motion, it's how motors work.
Obviously as the hydrogen atoms get pulled in, the magnetic field strips them of their electrons making them ions, which carry a charge.
Simple really.
I know that's how motors work, but what I'm saying is that the whole concept of turbine blades in a vacuum is silly. You could draw the hydrogen atoms in without any moving parts, using energy to rotate the turbine blades would be pointless. Sure, they might hit & deflect the trajectory of the occasional atom, but otherwise they'll be just a waste of space, materials, & energy.

Think of it like this: aircraft that use propellers can only work up to a certain altitude [I don't happen to know what it is off the top of my head], because the air is just too thin. Yet even at those high altitudes the air is orders of magnitude more dense than the distribution of hydrogen atoms in space.
Old 22-01-2008, 21:04   #524
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

But having the moving parts create the magnetic field would probably be correct. Also the moving parts look more cool than no moving parts.
Old 22-01-2008, 21:47   #525
Xaccers
Inactive

Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars
Xaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny starsXaccers has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien View Post
I know that's how motors work, but what I'm saying is that the whole concept of turbine blades in a vacuum is silly. You could draw the hydrogen atoms in without any moving parts, using energy to rotate the turbine blades would be pointless. Sure, they might hit & deflect the trajectory of the occasional atom, but otherwise they'll be just a waste of space, materials, & energy.

Think of it like this: aircraft that use propellers can only work up to a certain altitude [I don't happen to know what it is off the top of my head], because the air is just too thin. Yet even at those high altitudes the air is orders of magnitude more dense than the distribution of hydrogen atoms in space.
You're thinking about it the wrong way round.
The turbines (which they aren't, and in the picture they don't even look like they move, but I'll humour you ) don't spin and suck in hydrogen, they are spun by the protons (hydrogen ions) being drawn in through the magnetic field, just as a motor spins when electrons are passed through a magnetic field.

Think of an electrical circuit with a lightbulb and a motor in series.
In order for the lightbulb to turn on, current must first pass through the motor, which causes it to spin.
The motor spinning doesn't cause the light bulb to light up, it's a byproduct of the current moving through a magnetic field on the way to power the bulb.
Xaccers is offline   Reply With Quote