Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 18-10-2016, 21:21   #631
pythagoras
cf.addict

pythagoras has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Well Im having the sky Q silver box installed on Wednesday next week so I will be able to compare and contrast Sky and tivo side by side in the same system. Was hoping to compare the new Tivo box but it doesn't look like I will get one soon.
pythagoras is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-10-2016, 02:23   #632
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post
Well Im having the sky Q silver box installed on Wednesday next week so I will be able to compare and contrast Sky and tivo side by side in the same system. Was hoping to compare the new Tivo box but it doesn't look like I will get one soon.
Are you going to keep both?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 06:00   #633
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

He may have given notice already but it may still be on.
Old 19-10-2016, 13:02   #634
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythagoras View Post

Think you'll be impressed. Couple of niggles with Sky Q (different way of doing things) but all in all it's head and shoulder above TiVo.

BT line being installed tomorrow and by this time next week my 30 days notice is up so that's that.

I've seen the new V6 box in Poland and it looks OK. I just hope VM learn their lesson from the current TiVo box issues and in future resist the temptation to fiddle so much they break an otherwise good/working product.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2016, 16:00   #635
pythagoras
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Are you going to keep both?
Ill run both until I get a chance to replace the Tivo for a V6 and then i'll decide which I'm keeping.
pythagoras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 09:55   #636
UnStable
cf.member

UnStable is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post

I've seen the new V6 box in Poland and it looks OK.
All sounds a bit underwhelming if the new VM box is based on technology already available elsewhere.
UnStable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 09:57   #637
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Especially in Poland! lol (no offence meant to any Polish on here) :-)
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 10:37   #638
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnStable View Post
All sounds a bit underwhelming if the new VM box is based on technology already available elsewhere.
I think they are moving to common hardware across their entire footprint but with different software running on it i.e. Tivo for the UK and Horizon for other countries.

Wasn't aware that it had launched anywhere though, maybe it was a test unit that was seen in Poland?
Old 20-10-2016, 10:41   #639
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Especially in Poland! lol (no offence meant to any Polish on here) :-)
Liberty have already said the new box will run both the TiVo and Horizon software so I suppose it should be no surprise they're using the box in other countries they operate in. Anyway here's the Horizon brochure - in Polish so I've no idea what it's saying! - but it's full of pretty pictures including the qwerty handset you can get on the Horizon platform. I can't say for sure it's the same as the V6 but from the little VM have shown us it certainly looks very similar!

---------- Post added at 10:41 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
I think they are moving to common hardware across their entire footprint but with different software running on it i.e. Tivo for the UK and Horizon for other countries.

Wasn't aware that it had launched anywhere though, maybe it was a test unit that was seen in Poland?
It was for openly on offer at the UPC stand in the main shopping centre in Krakow a few weeks ago.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 11:26   #640
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
Liberty have already said the new box will run both the TiVo and Horizon software so I suppose it should be no surprise they're using the box in other countries they operate in. Anyway here's the Horizon brochure - in Polish so I've no idea what it's saying! - but it's full of pretty pictures including the qwerty handset you can get on the Horizon platform. I can't say for sure it's the same as the V6 but from the little VM have shown us it certainly looks very similar!
That's one of the existing Horizon boxes. UPC have only recently announced that they plan to use the same hardware as VM.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...n-horizon-box/
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 12:16   #641
UnStable
cf.member

I see it's been released in Austria too. Record 4 channels, 500GB drive and apps like YouTube Wowee!
Really hope VM have something up their sleeve to match the Sky Q Mini boxes but wouldn't they already be available in the countries where the box has already been released?
Old 20-10-2016, 12:21   #642
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I see it's been released in Austria too. Record 4 channels, 500GB drive and apps like YouTube Wowee!
Really hope VM have something up their sleeve to match the Sky Q Mini boxes but wouldn't they already be available in the countries where the box has already been released?
500 gb is not impressive when we currently have up to 1tb that's a step backwards
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 12:27   #643
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
This is not the new V6 box it's the existing Horizon box. The new V6 box is not available to any customers in any countries yet.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 13:23   #644
UnStable
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
This is not the new V6 box it's the existing Horizon box. The new V6 box is not available to any customers in any countries yet.
That article says it's the new EOS box which is the same as the one to be released in the UK?
Old 20-10-2016, 13:49   #645
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
500 gb is not impressive when we currently have up to 1tb that's a step backwards
That's not what we are getting, though. It looks like ours will be 2TB and at least six tuners.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote