Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Superhub & Wireless N devices

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Superhub & Wireless N devices

Old 17-05-2012, 10:02   #1
UserOfVirgin
Inactive

UserOfVirgin is an unknown quantity at this point
Superhub & Wireless N devices

Hi all,

My superhub is due to arrive today with my upgrade from 10Mb to 30Mb. I have a few questions.......

All my devices in the house now support Wireless N, however it appears they support 2.4ghz, not 5ghz. This includes 2 laptops, 1 printer, 2 smartphones and a games console. Other items are going to be wired through the Gigabit ports.

I'm a little gutted my devices don't support the 5ghz range because I believe I'll get less speed over the WiFi?

Will the devices connected by WiFi get the benefit of the 30Mb upgrade or will it be similar to 10Mb due to the 2.4 limitations?

Will I be able to get 300Mbs on 2.4 or will I be stuck at 150?
UserOfVirgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-05-2012, 10:15   #2
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Re: Superhub & Wireless N devices

Hi,

on 30Mb your N devices will be totally fine and give you the full speed. I am on 100Mb with the Superhub and on 2.4Ghz N still manage about 80Mb speed.
Old 17-05-2012, 10:26   #3
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

I don't think that you will find many people on here who would recommend using the Superhub at 5GHz or at 300Mbps. As you say, you don't have any 5GHz devices so that point is moot. However the Superhub is not renowned for it's stability when set to 300Mbps. Leave it at 145Mbps and if possible use a channel which is not too congested.
Old 17-05-2012, 12:27   #4
UserOfVirgin
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
I don't think that you will find many people on here who would recommend using the Superhub at 5GHz or at 300Mbps. As you say, you don't have any 5GHz devices so that point is moot. However the Superhub is not renowned for it's stability when set to 300Mbps. Leave it at 145Mbps and if possible use a channel which is not too congested.
Would 145Mbs give me the full 30Mbs speed over WiFi?

On the subject of the SH, is it really as bad as it sounds? Would I be better off getting a second router, switching the SH to modem mode and using the second router in 300Mbs mode?
Old 17-05-2012, 13:32   #5
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserOfVirgin View Post
Would 145Mbs give me the full 30Mbs speed over WiFi?
Yes

Quote:
On the subject of the SH, is it really as bad as it sounds?
Worse.

Quote:
Would I be better off getting a second router, switching the SH to modem mode
Yes

Quote:
and using the second router in 300Mbs mode?
No you don't need it.
use 2.4ghtz at 145mbps
use 5ghtz at 300mbps
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 13:35   #6
jempalmer

Services: 500gb Tivo & V+. TV XL, 60MB BB, M Phone.

The wireless speed of the Superhub is somewhat variable. If you look through the many posts on here with regard to that you'll find that a good number of people (myself included) are using a separate wireless router. It really is a case of suck it and see. Some have no problem with the Superhub whilst others have no end of trouble.
Old 17-05-2012, 14:29   #7
UserOfVirgin
Inactive

I've been looking at the Belkin n750 or the Netgear n750.

Both look like excellent routers, would anyone recommend one over the other?

I'm looking for,
  • really good QOS controls
  • potential to add 5Ghz N devices in the future
  • 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz at the same time
  • Guest network would also be nice, but not 100% essential.
  • Gigabit LAN connection

I tend to use my connection for my PS3 for online gaming. That's on a wired connection at the moment. My laptop I use for downloading and web surfing, that's wireless. I have to share my connection with my wife who also has a laptop and we both have smartphones. My wife's favourite thing is to use Youtube or other web video supplier while I'm on call of duty, so I want to cut her down with QOS if possible to ensure that I can play 100% lag free.
Old 17-05-2012, 17:25   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

300mbps at 2.4Ghz is generally not recommended and any wifi certified router will have it switched off by default for good reason. You'll want 5Ghz for 300Mbps but even at 145, you'll get well more than your connection speed at 2.4
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:57   #9
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I must admit my SH loses the internet for 2-3 mins at a time at least 2-6 times a day really annoying for online gaming
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote