Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 keeps rebooting literally every 5 minutes.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

V6 keeps rebooting literally every 5 minutes.

Old 25-10-2020, 21:53   #1
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
V6 keeps rebooting literally every 5 minutes.

Since the early hours of this morning, my V6 has been rebooting itself exactly every 5 minutes!

Anyone know what this could be? A search says that it could be the HDD that's on it's way out, but why would it happen exactly every 5 minutes?

I cannot call VM as my phone isn't working (nothing to do with VM, it's the phone that's faulty). Where can I find live chat? Everytime I try to find it, it loops me round to useless self help pages & their phone number!

Thanks.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-10-2020, 21:57   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: V6 keeps rebooting literally every 5 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Since the early hours of this morning, my V6 keeps rebooting itself exactly every 5 minutes!

Anyone know what this could be? A search says it could be the HDD is on it's way out, but why would it happen exactly every 5 minutes?

I cannot call VM as my phone isn't working (nothing to do with VM, it's the phone that's fauoty). Wherd can I find live chat? Everytime I try to find it, it loops me round to useless self help pages & their phone number!
If nothing else Richard,if its exactly every five minutes, you could use it as an atomic clock.
Otherwise Freeview is a very reasonable price, and save yourself a monthly sub.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 22:11   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If nothing else Richard,if its exactly every five minutes, you could use it as an atomic clock.
Otherwise Freeview is a very reasonable price, and save yourself a monthly sub.

I've recently recontracted following a good deal being offered as part of an out of court settlement package to reflect the issues that I faced following a data breach.
Old 25-10-2020, 22:43   #4
newapollo
cf.addict

newapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant futurenewapollo has a brilliant future

Hi Richard, you have plenty of options to report a fault.

If you log into your online account you can run a test on your equipment. Using that method VM should be able to send a signal to your box and try to repair it.

If you have a mobile you can use the freephone number 0800 052 0422. or the 0345 454 1111 number which is a normal free number on most call plans, but depends upon the mobile contract you have as on some plans it may be chargeable

You can also use the online chat messenger.https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/con...ncing-an-issue scroll down and click on the "Message us" icon in the red box, it isn't always online as telephone calls take priority.

There is also the text number 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days.
newapollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 02:29   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post
Hi Richard, you have plenty of options to report a fault.

If you log into your online account you can run a test on your equipment. Using that method VM should be able to send a signal to your box and try to repair it.

If you have a mobile you can use the freephone number 0800 052 0422. or the 0345 454 1111 number which is a normal free number on most call plans, but depends upon the mobile contract you have as on some plans it may be chargeable

You can also use the online chat messenger.https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/con...ncing-an-issue scroll down and click on the "Message us" icon in the red box, it isn't always online as telephone calls take priority.

There is also the text number 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days.
Thanks very much ☺
Old 26-10-2020, 08:39   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

While you are waiting for a replacement, you might be able to stop it rebooting by disconnecting it from your broadband.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 08:49   #7
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Thanks very much ☺
Richard, the text number is the best way to report it in my mind
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 10:58   #8
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by newapollo View Post

Just to mention, 0800 numbers are free calls from all UK phones. 03x numbera are landline rate numbers, but on any call plan with inclusive calls - these would be part of that.
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:17   #9
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
While you are waiting for a replacement, you might be able to stop it rebooting by disconnecting it from your broadband.
Ohhh thanks, I'll try that. Any idea why it's rebooting every 5 minutes, it seems very odd.
Old 26-10-2020, 12:59   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Ohhh thanks, I'll try that. Any idea why it's rebooting every 5 minutes, it seems very odd.
Sometimes faulty boxes reboot every time they try to connect to the servers to download new guide data. If there is a 5 minute retry time on the connection, that would explain the pattern.
Old 26-10-2020, 17:12   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Are there any faults listed in your area, Richard?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 18:19   #12
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Are there any faults listed in your area, Richard?
No area fault could cause this. It's probably a faulty box.
Old 26-10-2020, 22:37   #13
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I've tried this but, unfortunately, it doesn't make any difference.
Old 27-10-2020, 17:04   #14
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I suspect it is a hard disk problem, possibly it is overheating? Which might explain the 5 minutes.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 18:59   #15
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I suspect it is a hard disk problem, possibly it is overheating? Which might explain the 5 minutes.
Maybe it is, I might try positioning a fan on it to see if it makes any difference.

Live Chat looks to have been taken off, so i'm going to have to order a phone online as that seems to be the only way to contact them. Even when the phone arrives i've read horrendous tales of being left on hold for over an hour and then cut off!