Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | V6 Netflix 4K bandwidth limited?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

V6 Netflix 4K bandwidth limited?

Old 18-11-2020, 20:08   #1
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road
V6 Netflix 4K bandwidth limited?

Hello
I happened to notice today when I pressed Info whilst watching a 4K Netflix show on the V6 box the resolution was showing as 2160 but the bandwidth was only ~6mbps - like it was during lockdown when they limited it. Still plays/looks fine.

If I load the Netflix app on my TV and resume the same show it shows 2160 and 11-15mbps as I would expect.

They are both connected to the same switch and I am getting my full 545 mbps

Does anyone else have this out of interest?
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-11-2020, 20:16   #2
paul0363
cf.member

paul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nice
Re: V6 Netflix 4K bandwidth limited?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_w2k View Post
Hello
I happened to notice today when I pressed Info whilst watching a 4K Netflix show on the V6 box the resolution was showing as 2160 but the bandwidth was only ~6mbps - like it was during lockdown when they limited it. Still plays/looks fine.

If I load the Netflix app on my TV and resume the same show it shows 2160 and 11-15mbps as I would expect.

It's by design and not what was happening in lockdown:

https://netflixtechblog.com/optimize...g-47b516b10bbb

I had a look at their blog when I noticed the same thing the other way round (i.e. lower bitrate on my TV than on V6). It can depend on which stream you pick up as you may not always connect to the same data centre.

Last edited by paul0363; 18-11-2020 at 20:20.
paul0363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 20:18   #3
david_w2k
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0363 View Post
It's by design and not what was happening in lockdown:

https://netflixtechblog.com/optimize...g-47b516b10bbb
Ah interesting, will have a read. Still strange though it is different on my TV vs. the V6 though?

thanks for the speedy reply!
Old 18-11-2020, 20:22   #4
paul0363
cf.member

paul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nicepaul0363 is just really nice

I was editing my reply when you replied!! I think if you read the article you'll see what they're up to. As I said in the edit, it can depend on which stream you pick up if the "new version" hasn't reached all the delivery points.
paul0363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 20:23   #5
david_w2k
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul0363 View Post
I was editing my reply when you replied!! I think if you read the article you'll see what they're up to. As I said in the edit, it can depend on which stream you pick up if the "new version" hasn't reached all the delivery points.
Haha good timing. Will have a read of that!

Cheers
Old 19-11-2020, 13:58   #6
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I just tried Queen's Gambit on a V6 and got 15.25 / 2160 - which is what I would expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_w2k View Post
Hello

ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote