Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 21-09-2020, 10:30   #5851
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’ve only heard anecdotally from someone who routinely shops online.

I shop in person but we don’t have a Waitrose though so it’s more downmarket than others on here.
If you had a waitrose surely you would send one of the staff to get the shopping like i do
Old 21-09-2020, 10:32   #5852
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

More slots seem to be available locally where I am. They've been increasing capacity for some time now.

On the other hand any lack of slots could be seen as a good sign, in that people aren't going out unnecessarily. That reduces the risks for everybody.
Old 21-09-2020, 10:40   #5853
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’d say increased measures are appropriate given we have near exponential growth and test, trace, isolate has failed.

I’ve been banging on all summer about the inevitability of further restrictions if test, trace, isolate fails so this should really be a surprise to no-one who reads this thread. We need to know who has it, where they are and who is at risk from catching it from them. Without that information we are fire fighting in the dark.
He's right you know.

There's no way we can know who has it unless we test everybody, and we'd have to do that every week to ensure those negative last week were still negative the week after. Obviously there is no way this can be done.

All we can do, is to try to trace those who have been in contact with a person who has tested positive, and then trace on from those to whoever they've had contact with - which as we all know isn't as easy or clever as it sounds - and we're back to chasing shadows again.

If, as is being 'suggested', cases are rising at an alarming rate, the only real option left is to try and reduce contact between people and see if cases begin to level off.

Back in Feb/March we didn't have many of the preventative measures we have today, so we are already way ahead of the curve compared to back then, although with the colder months coming we are going to see a rise in the death rate 'with Covid 19 present'. Covid 19 may not be the killer, but it can (and will) be a contributory factor.

Nobody wants another massive lock down, but nobody wants to see another 10,000 deaths.

Let's roll with it and see where we are next month.
Old 21-09-2020, 10:42   #5854
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Went to Costco (Southampton) on Saturday and the queue for tills was huge and silly people panic buying (especially water - what's wrong with tap). And report on BBC suggests panic buying of Christmas birds. There are some real idiots around.

---
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistic...ekly-file.xlsx
--
Some interesting data in here. These are the newer adjusted figures, the old counts had no limit on time after positive test to death (you could die years after test and still count as Covid), the limit is now 28 days but you could still get hit by a bus on day 27 and still counts as Covid death.
If you look at the age/condition tab - the number of deaths for the under 60's with no underlying condition to date of report is still around 300. Even with the older ones added the total is around 1,400.
Old 21-09-2020, 10:53   #5855
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Went to Costco (Southampton) on Saturday and the queue for tills was huge and silly people panic buying (especially water - what's wrong with tap). And report on BBC suggests panic buying of Christmas birds. There are some real idiots around.

---
https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistic...ekly-file.xlsx
--
Some interesting data in here. These are the newer adjusted figures, the old counts had no limit on time after positive test to death (you could die years after test and still count as Covid), the limit is now 28 days but you could still get hit by a bus on day 27 and still counts as Covid death.
If you look at the age/condition tab - the number of deaths for the under 60's with no underlying condition to date of report is still around 300. Even with the older ones added the total is around 1,400.
I doubt there is any panic buying of Turkeys. We won't have reached the peak level of supply yet, and are people really going to take up so much freezer space for something to be used in 3 months time? Probably used as a cheap alternative.
Old 21-09-2020, 11:17   #5856
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Over the last few months I've been getting a little extra each week of stuff that can be stored like toilet rolls, beans, tinned meat etc so we won't run short if the panic buying starts again.

I had plenty stored before the last time but we went through nearly all of it.
Old 21-09-2020, 11:20   #5857
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
At the moment we think the epidemic is doubling roughly every seven days, says Sir Patrick, the UK's chief scientific adviser.

If that continues unabated, then by mid-October we would end up with 50,000 cases per day, he said.

That would be expected to lead to 200 plus deaths per day by the middle of November.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-54231625
Old 21-09-2020, 11:52   #5858
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
If that continues
Nuff said.

IF I win the lottery jackpot, I'll probably be a millionaire.

Quote:
Stores bosses have insisted they have more enough to go around as they urged everyone to be sensible.
Well all know that wont happen, they need to control the idiot panicers.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 21-09-2020, 12:04   #5859
nomadking
cf.mega poster

How big a family is it that needs 80 rolls of toilet paper?
Doesn't help when the media include misleading pictures. Eg A picture of items on special offer and not from the main area for toilet paper.
Old 21-09-2020, 12:10   #5860
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Hard to police, how do you separate the panicer from someone buying for vulnerable others and themselves?
We buy rice in large quantities (10kg sacks) as we use rice often and it's cheaper that way. I have 10kg basmati, 10kg sticky and 5 kg Thai that will last a good while but will get used within a year. Is that panic/hoarding? I buy at Costco so get trays of cans as that's how it's sold, panic or just being wise to get good unit price?

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
How big a family is it that needs 80 rolls of toilet paper?
Doesn't help when the media include misleading pictures. Eg A picture of items on special offer and not from the main area for toilet paper.
If you use Costco then you buy in 48's or so. But you only do it every couple/few months.
Old 21-09-2020, 12:15   #5861
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

I'm gonna hold it in and use the toilets at work
Old 21-09-2020, 12:22   #5862
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
I'm gonna hold it in and use the toilets at work
Might as well do it on company time.
Old 21-09-2020, 12:28   #5863
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Hard to police, how do you separate the panicer from someone buying for vulnerable others and themselves?
We buy rice in large quantities (10kg sacks) as we use rice often and it's cheaper that way. I have 10kg basmati, 10kg sticky and 5 kg Thai that will last a good while but will get used within a year. Is that panic/hoarding? I buy at Costco so get trays of cans as that's how it's sold, panic or just being wise to get good unit price?

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 ----------

If you use Costco then you buy in 48's or so. But you only do it every couple/few months.
But we're not talking about single packs of 48. Eg A picture of a trolley loaded with more than ten 18 roll packs(that's 180 rolls), and somebody else in the queue with around 8 of the same item.
Link.
Old 21-09-2020, 12:34   #5864
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Nuff said.

IF I win the lottery jackpot, I'll probably be a millionaire.

Here we go the science of IF rears it's head once again.
Old 21-09-2020, 12:48   #5865
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Here we go the science of IF rears it's head once again.
But . . but . . there are hundreds of experts well versed in the art of 'if, maybe, could, up to, possibly' etc etc

Making good money at it too
Closed Thread