Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

Old 14-03-2019, 21:14   #16
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age
Wink Re: Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Batteries? Were they designed to work during a power cut?
..only if you had a battery TV.
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2019, 22:34   #17
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
Re: Virgin Media UK to remove V+ HD Boxes from network

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Some V-HD boxes are being replaced now, so it probably is legit. Not sure whether you'd get a V6 or a TiVo 500GB as a replacement.

So you haven't had messages popping up on your box since Monday?
No messages at all except the phone call. I have just rechecked and there are no messages on the V6 and can't see where they would show up on the V HD.

Jo.
Old 14-03-2019, 22:40   #18
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Battery-backed static RAM to save the user settings etc when the box was powered off. This was in the days before EEPROM and Flash were widely available.

---------- Post added at 21:40 ---------- Previous post was at 21:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
No messages at all except the phone call. I have just rechecked and there are no messages on the V6 and can't see where they would show up on the V HD.

Jo.
If you were getting them, they would appear on the V-HD just after you changed channel, two or three times a day. There won't be a message on your V6.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2019, 22:47   #19
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
originally posted by spiderplant;

If you were getting them, they would appear on the V-HD just after you changed channel, two or three times a day. There won't be a message on your V6.
So no messages as yet. Will just carry on until VM get around to us. Thank you so much SP you really are very helpful.

Jo xx
Old 15-03-2019, 11:56   #20
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

I certainly don't want the Cisco V HD box swapped out. It has the very useful SD SCART output (down scaled on HD chanels) that I use with my DVD/HDD recorder and the RF modulator round the house.

DVD feeds through the SCART signals whilst on standby.
Old 15-03-2019, 12:02   #21
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No they were designed to work after power was restored
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 12:07   #22
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I certainly don't want the Cisco V HD box swapped out. It has the very useful SD SCART output (down scaled on HD chanels) that I use with my DVD/HDD recorder and the RF modulator round the house.

Sorry, but when it comes to it you won't have a choice to keep it. All V boxes will be decommissioned as the whole platform that runs them will be switched off eventually.
Old 15-03-2019, 12:46   #23
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

If you need SCART (or don't have broadband), you'll be given a TiVo rather than a V6.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 13:21   #24
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:

Depends how quickly VM want to bin the Liberate Middleware platform that drives the VHD boxes & EPG. The VHD's were I believe upgradable to other firmware platforms, but VM opted for a pure PVR route & never developed it any more.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 14:15   #25
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from spiderplant:

If you need SCART (or don't have broadband), you'll be given a TiVo rather than a V6.
Thanks spiderplant. We almost never have clashes on TV progammes so no need to record more than one at any time. A TiVo would suit just fine.
Old 15-03-2019, 15:11   #26
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Thanks spiderplant. We almost never have clashes on TV progammes so no need to record more than one at any time. A TiVo would suit just fine.
We found the problem with Tivo was that it was slow, and the apps did not always work very well. The BBC i-Player was virtually unwatchable.

That was a couple of years ago now, maybe it's improved in the meantime.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 16:30   #27
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We found the problem with Tivo was that it was slow, and the apps did not always work very well. The BBC i-Player was virtually unwatchable.

VM did an update that sped up the box since then. Due to how the update worked not everyone was happy though. As I understand it, they changed it so that the tuners not currently recording a user set programme sit doing nothing until they are required, whereas previously they continuously recorded whatever channel they were tuned to regardless of whether the user was recording something.

The annoyance for some being that they couldn't switch tuners and rewind, like the V6 still allows.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 18:56   #28
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Quote from OLD BOY:

Most of the TiVo apps are covered by versions on our Sony smart TV. All the TiVo has to do is emulate the Cisco HD box functions. Anything else is really superfluous.
Old 15-03-2019, 19:26   #29
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

iPlayer on Tivo now works fine for me, a if a bit slow to load up (used to have horrendous problems). Must be less demand on the system now more have moved to the V6.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2019, 19:29   #30
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
iPlayer on Tivo now works fine for me, a if a bit slow to load up (used to have horrendous problems). Must be less demand on the system now more have moved to the V6.
It's not a network change as I understand it, as I mentioned above the box is doing less.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote