Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Old 15-08-2019, 19:23   #1591
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2019)

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l suspect given time Prime Video will eventually be integrated into the Search & Discover menu on the V6.
It already does, Den. It's the UHD it can't seem to access for some reason. When you do a search, only the HD version comes up. I understand that they are working on this.

---------- Post added at 19:23 ---------- Previous post was at 19:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicMaster View Post
Eventually... sigh.

Like they will eventually get around to updating the TCM logos that Sky and BT managed to do immediately. They have even added E! HD with 2 different logos on both the TV Guide and the website, neither of which are the same as on Sky and BT.

It's classic VM 😂
Personally, I'm not worried about the logos. But the Amazon search glitch needs fixing as soon as possible.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-08-2019, 20:27   #1592
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

[QUOTE=OLD BOY;36006176]It already does, Den. It's the UHD it can't seem to access for some reason. When you do a search, only the HD version comes up. I understand that they are working on this.[COLOR="Silver"]

Is the OP not referring to the "Search & Discover" sub menu on the "Home" Page? A Prime Video header ideally should be listed in there surely, along side Netflix and YouTube.
I find the generic "Search" facility a bit hit and miss regarding Prime content. I always use Primes own search within the app anyway.
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 20:51   #1593
SonicMaster
cf.geek

SonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of lightSonicMaster is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=fox35;36006190]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It already does, Den. It's the UHD it can't seem to access for some reason. When you do a search, only the HD version comes up. I understand that they are working on this.[COLOR="Silver"]

Is the OP not referring to the "Search & Discover" sub menu on the "Home" Page? A Prime Video header ideally should be listed in there surely, along side Netflix and YouTube.
I find the generic "Search" facility a bit hit and miss regarding Prime content. I always use Primes own search within the app anyway.
That's correct.
SonicMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 09:24   #1594
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

[QUOTE=fox35;36006190]
Quote:
It already does, Den. It's the UHD it can't seem to access for some reason. When you do a search, only the HD version comes up. I understand that they are working on this.[COLOR="Silver"]

I was referring to Virgin's 'search and discover' page. Prime programmes do come up when you search for them, but it's only the HD version that appears.

Whether or not programmes are missing, I don't know as I've only searched for one or two programmes on Prime this way because I'm waiting for that UHD fix. However, those programmes I have searched for do appear. Maybe they are still adding stuff now - Amazon hasn't been on the platform for long. I notice that some Netflix shows don't appear immediately.
Old 16-08-2019, 09:34   #1595
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

If VM are moving over to the Horizon platform soon I don't see them putting the time, money and effort to fix the Amazon search thing on Tivo, they'll leave it be and just make sure it works on Horizon.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 09:53   #1596
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
If VM are moving over to the Horizon platform soon I don't see them putting the time, money and effort to fix the Amazon search thing on Tivo, they'll leave it be and just make sure it works on Horizon.
I can live with that if it's planned for this year, but I don't think they should wait for Horizon if they don't have a short time frame until launch. We still don't have a date and I suspect we will still be waiting this time next year.
Old 16-08-2019, 10:46   #1597
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I can live with that if it's planned for this year, but I don't think they should wait for Horizon if they don't have a short time frame until launch. We still don't have a date and I suspect we will still be waiting this time next year.
I'd got the impression there may be trials/soft launch at end of this year with aim to launch next year.

What I was reading to get this impression I can't remember.

I may be in my own wee world...
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 15:02   #1598
RegularCapital
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media
RegularCapital is an unknown quantity at this point

From what I understand, Virgin still wants to use TiVo for the backend and data and use the Horizon User Interface on top of it, from what I heard Liberty Global are working with TiVo in order to do this.

https://www.multichannel.com/blog/vi...-report-418549

Knowing that Liberty Global have been mass-selling their European assets to Vodafone and to other companies (also Liberty and Vodafone co-owns Vodafone Ziggo in the Netherlands), it seems that Horizon's software (as in the backend that powers the UI) could eventually be scrapped. The V6 box's remote has TiVo's patented thumbs up and thumbs down buttons and its said that the box will eventually use the new UI, so I don't think they're going to remove TiVo's key features. So Virgin will be able to incorporate Amazon's library in the search as only the "shell" of the software and how its presented will be changed.

It seems that Liberty Global want to focus on the UK and Irish market, selling most of the European assets and the funds raised from the transaction will allow them to expand Virgin's network.

Last edited by RegularCapital; 16-08-2019 at 15:06.
RegularCapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 15:39   #1599
fox35
cf.addict

fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegularCapital View Post
From what I understand, Virgin still wants to use TiVo for the backend and data and use the Horizon User Interface on top of it, from what I heard Liberty Global are working with TiVo in order to do this.

https://www.multichannel.com/blog/vi...-report-418549

Knowing that Liberty Global have been mass-selling their European assets to Vodafone and to other companies (also Liberty and Vodafone co-owns Vodafone Ziggo in the Netherlands), it seems that Horizon's software (as in the backend that powers the UI) could eventually be scrapped. The V6 box's remote has TiVo's patented thumbs up and thumbs down buttons and its said that the box will eventually use the new UI, so I don't think they're going to remove TiVo's key features. So Virgin will be able to incorporate Amazon's library in the search as only the "shell" of the software and how its presented will be changed.

It seems that Liberty Global want to focus on the UK and Irish market, selling most of the European assets and the funds raised from the transaction will allow them to expand Virgin's network.
Indeed, in much the same way that Sky Q uses Tivo software, under license, buried deep within its own firmware operation. So, I'm guessing features which are similar on both VM and Sky boxes, such as Series Link and the Search facilities etc, are Tivo patented and used under agreement. Just a different branded UI.
Old 16-08-2019, 18:03   #1600
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
Indeed, in much the same way that Sky Q uses Tivo software, under license, buried deep within its own firmware operation. So, I'm guessing features which are similar on both VM and Sky boxes, such as Series Link and the Search facilities etc, are Tivo patented and used under agreement. Just a different branded UI.
It's interesting that TiVo are prepared to do business with Sky after Sky screwed them over all those years ago, but I suppose with the passage of time, there are now different people involved.

Do you know if this means that TiVo patented features such as Wishlists, Quickview & Thumbs up/down could now theoretically be utilised on Sky Q boxes? This is one of the things that would put me off from moving over to Sky.

I don't think that Series Link & the search capabilities can be patented as the V+ (and many other boxes) had/have these features.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 16-08-2019 at 18:06.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 18:14   #1601
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

They're in the business of making money, not harbouring a vendetta over something that happened nearly twenty years ago.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 19:21   #1602
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
They're in the business of making money, not harbouring a vendetta over something that happened nearly twenty years ago.
We agree on that one. Additionally, Sky seems not to be so aggressive against its competitors these days.
Old 16-08-2019, 19:27   #1603
fox35
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
It's interesting that TiVo are prepared to do business with Sky after Sky screwed them over all those years ago, but I suppose with the passage of time, there are now different people involved.

Do you know if this means that TiVo patented features such as Wishlists, Quickview & Thumbs up/down could now theoretically be utilised on Sky Q boxes? This is one of the things that would put me off from moving over to Sky.

I don't think that Series Link & the search capabilities can be patented as the V+ (and many other boxes) had/have these features.
I remember you could read the Tivo (Rovi) licensing agreement in a sub menu on the Sky box. Here is some basic info on the Sky agreement to use Tivo patented technology..
https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...1013005690/en/
Old 16-08-2019, 19:42   #1604
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
We agree on that one. Additionally, Sky seems not to be so aggressive against its competitors these days.
There's no point, it's not a perfectly competitive market. Where there's a small number of suppliers the trend is always upwards towards monopoly pricing levels - that's where everyone makes the most profit.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2019, 19:52   #1605
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox35 View Post
Two things comes to mind here.. both with series-links...

I understood that Sky's series links were much like the original V+, i.e. timeslot dependent and not sticky between series. The flip side being, I thought both were USP of TiVo and therefore USP for Virgin's TV service.

I'm not massively surprised that Sky use TiVo software (albeit not to the extent of VM) but it just makes me curious where the dividing line is...
japitts is offline   Reply With Quote