Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 10-06-2013, 15:53   #1801
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
It has zero usage restrictions; you can download as much as you want.

After a certain amount of download, the speed you can download at is reduced, but you can still download as much as you want.

And even when speed caped, a VM 30meg meg connection is still faster than most Sky BB connections.

Still can't download as much as you would be able to if it wasn't strangled.
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-06-2013, 16:06   #1802
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
Still can't download as much as you would be able to if it wasn't strangled.
Still more than most of Sky's BB users.

You really are clutching at straws, aren't you.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:14   #1803
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top banana View Post
Yes but that is stand alone. I mean offer the triple play package but remove or reduce the line rental cost or move to a package like tv, broadband and 2 mobile phones for x per month with out a land line.

Should be interesting over the next few months. In years gone by, the investor view was that content is king which put Sky in a strong position. The view is that the world is changing and that infrastructure is king, which weakens Sky's position as they hardly have any. BT seem to be getting themselves into a good position as they are getting into the content business and also own their infrastructure.

So the new guy at VM has his work cut out in deciding where VM heading I reckon.
They have their own fibre network don't they , they also have their own equipment installed in over 2,200 exchanges up and down the country , the only difference being they rely on Openreach for the last mile from the exchange to the customers house , this is a service Openreach provide on behalf of all LLU suppliers and the pricing is regulated. They also have wifi infrastructure thanks to its purchase of The Cloud which has its equipment at over 10,000 hotspots , they also have many data centres which provide the servers which house all their On Demand content for both Sky TV and Now TV so to suggest they have no infrastructure isn't quite true.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 16:33   #1804
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice

Quote:
Still more than most of Sky's BB users.

You really are clutching at straws, aren't you.
No, at the moment I'm more than happy with my VM broadband.
Old 10-06-2013, 16:58   #1805
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
It has zero usage restrictions; you can download as much as you want.

After a certain amount of download, the speed you can download at is reduced, but you can still download as much as you want.

And even when speed caped, a VM 30meg meg connection is still faster than most Sky BB connections.

I agree that with Virgin you can download as much as you want, but not always at the speed you are paying for. If you want to avoid your connection being restricted, you have to regulate how much you are downloading during long spells of the day. This doesn’t sound like a service with zero usage restrictions. You get punished for using the service more than Virgin would like you to.

Until 6 months ago I was a Virgin broadband customer. 7 years of custom between Telewest and Virgin Media. Virgin can come out with all the spin they want. I know what service I received and it had built in restrictions based on my usage. Nobody will ever convince me that Virgin broadband doesn’t have usage restrictions.

I feel I get tremendous value for money from SKY for my broadband. This was certainly not how I felt about the service provided by Virgin. I’ll give Virgin their due however, their totally unlimited 20mb broadband connection from about 5 years ago was a fantastic service. The best broadband package I’ve ever had. Brilliant upload and download speeds at all times, well brilliant when compared to other speeds on the market at the time. This was the last time I truly felt like Virgin offered a service with no usage restrictions in anyway.
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 17:40   #1806
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I agree that with Virgin you can download as much as you want, but not always at the speed you are paying for. If you want to avoid your connection being restricted, you have to regulate how much you are downloading during long spells of the day. This doesn’t sound like a service with zero usage restrictions. You get punished for using the service more than Virgin would like you to.

But a point you seem to not want to understand; a capped VM 30meg connection is faster than most sky BB connections; yours included.

I don't see VM hiding the fact that that capping is part of the service and at a guess, I would say that the vast majority of users don't even encounter capping.
Old 10-06-2013, 17:47   #1807
saabmania2

Services: VIP Pack
saabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond reputesaabmania2 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to saabmania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

Until 6 months ago I was a Virgin broadband customer. 7 years of custom between Telewest and Virgin Media. Virgin can come out with all the spin they want. I know what service I received and it had built in restrictions based on my usage. Nobody will ever convince me that Virgin broadband doesn’t have usage restrictions.

I feel I get tremendous value for money from SKY for my broadband. This was certainly not how I felt about the service provided by Virgin. I’ll give Virgin their due however, their totally unlimited 20mb broadband connection from about 5 years ago was a fantastic service. The best broadband package I’ve ever had. Brilliant upload and download speeds at all times, well brilliant when compared to other speeds on the market at the time. This was the last time I truly felt like Virgin offered a service with no usage restrictions in anyway.
in the 10 years of Broadband I've been with VM, NTL and not once have I had cause to moan about the speed of the BB i've never been managed/speed restricted and to be honest it's a good job because we have very little option where we are, BT, SKY or whoever else you care to mention that provides a service via a phone line and even BT's fibre network is complete pants my next door neighbour has Infinity on BT fibre and his max speed is 2.4ghz he used to get 1.1ghz before
Maybe I've just been lucky, doesn't matter who your with at the end of the day if your provider provides the service that you require that's all that anyone wants
saabmania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 17:55   #1808
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
But a point you seem to not want to understand; a capped VM 30meg connection is faster than most sky BB connections; yours included.

I don't see VM hiding the fact that that capping is part of the service and at a guess, I would say that the vast majority of users don't even encounter capping.
My connection works very smoothly but there again l don't download copious amounts for hours upon end.
Old 10-06-2013, 18:09   #1809
BexTech
Inactive

Quote:

They may as well sell half the speed for the same price without throttling, works out more or less the same.

They just like the willy-waving headline speed.
Old 10-06-2013, 18:12   #1810
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
They may as well sell half the speed for the same price without throttling, works out more or less the same.

It is a bit of..look how big mine is...though afterwards realising they have no where to put it
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 18:29   #1811
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:

It is a guess, but I would say most people get the full speed all the time. And even those who don't still gain from faster speeds for most of the time. So I see no point in what you propose; it would give a far lesser value service.
Old 10-06-2013, 18:43   #1812
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
It is a guess, but I would say most people get the full speed all the time. And even those who don't still gain from faster speeds for most of the time. So I see no point in what you propose; it would give a far lesser value service.
I would agree with that, i have 100Mb and i honestly cannot say that i've been disappointed at any time when downloading, all seems pretty fast and stable, for me anyway.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 18:56   #1813
Mr Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
They have their own fibre network don't they , they also have their own equipment installed in over 2,200 exchanges up and down the country , the only difference being they rely on Openreach for the last mile from the exchange to the customers house , this is a service Openreach provide on behalf of all LLU suppliers and the pricing is regulated. They also have wifi infrastructure thanks to its purchase of The Cloud which has its equipment at over 10,000 hotspots , they also have many data centres which provide the servers which house all their On Demand content for both Sky TV and Now TV so to suggest they have no infrastructure isn't quite true.
No, they have parts of a network that they inherited from easy net I think. The kit in the exchanges is theirs but they do not have a complete network and pay wholesale costs to BT and now buy capacity on VMs back haul network. You are right about the cloud though but the investment houses are looking at the core businesses rather than added benefits they may offer.

Not sure if you are allowed to copy and paste subscription based discussion documents?

It's interesting reading as it talks about movie makers bypassing Netflix, sky etc and creating their own stations via iptv
Old 10-06-2013, 18:58   #1814
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I am now starting to get a bit peed off with everything, why doesn't VM come out and tell there customers what is happening.

This typical of VM. the PR is atrocious
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 19:13   #1815
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I am now starting to get a bit peed off with everything, why doesn't VM come out and tell there customers what is happening.

This typical of VM. the PR is atrocious
Maybe they don't have anything to tell us yet, negotiations can take a while!
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote