Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Any V6 users also tried SkyQ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Any V6 users also tried SkyQ?

Old 15-09-2019, 13:46   #1
southlad
cf.member

southlad is on a distinguished roadsouthlad is on a distinguished road
Any V6 users also tried SkyQ?

Just wondered if anyone had used both the V6 and SkyQ and could give me your opinion on advantages and disadvantages of both?
southlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-09-2019, 14:58   #2
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Any V6 users also tried SkyQ?

I have both.

SkyQ is best with late programme changes - although that too has been bad on BBC recently - BBC issue as they changed their update system.

V6 is best for series links as SkyQ seems often seems to forget them between series. V6 also does links across channels.

Interface are very different - but it is what you get used to as it is personal choice.

Netflix works well on V6 - but some films judder on SkyQ as it is unable to handle some frame rates.

There is still no HDR on SkyQ.

Additional boxes only need WiFi access on SkyQ - but then they just slave off the main box. So 6 recordings at once is maximum for house and all boxes share same recording folder.

Additional boxes on VM each need RF and network connections - but they can be set to either share their resources or keep them private.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 16:01   #3
FrogGuy
cf.member

FrogGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

I switched from the V6 to SkyQ and switched right back again! The SkyQ system is good but series linking can be poor, plus I think the navigation is better on Virgin.

One example is the backward catch up guide on the V6 is so good. Sky doesn't have this, but trying to find catch up shows is clunky.
FrogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2019, 22:03   #4
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogGuy View Post
I switched from the V6 to SkyQ and switched right back again! The SkyQ system is good but series linking can be poor, plus I think the navigation is better on Virgin.

One example is the backward catch up guide on the V6 is so good. Sky doesn't have this, but trying to find catch up shows is clunky.
I've always found speaking the show name into the remote has got me there pretty easy.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 04:48   #5
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

V6 is ideal for the 7-day catch up - but not beyond that.

I wanted to watch last week's QI on SkyQ and said "QI". I got a long list of episodes from catch-up, BBC and UKTV - in addition to lots of QIXL episodes.

Sky Q speaking is ideal for finding the show - but not the last episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I've always found speaking the show name into the remote has got me there pretty easy.
Old 16-09-2019, 06:02   #6
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I've never had trouble using voice finding the last episode.

As an example I voice searched Sanditon (currently working on ITV)

It pulls up on this week and On Demand by selecting On Demand all 4 episodes are listed with air dates and yesterday's at the bottom it literally took seconds.

As I say it's probably habit with me but that's the way I've always found quickest , that's not knocking the merits of a backwards EPG though.
Old 16-09-2019, 12:40   #7
FrogGuy
cf.member

FrogGuy is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
The voice search is good. However, let's take EastEnders as an example. I can use the V6 backwards guide to find last nights episode in about 5 seconds.

On Sky Q, I would say 'EastEnders' into the voice remote and then have to scroll through lots of Classic EastEnders episodes from Drama and the latest BBC1 episode was always at the bottom. Then, I have to download it.

That's just one example.
FrogGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 13:12   #8
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The voice search is good. However, let's take EastEnders as an example. I can use the V6 backwards guide to find last nights episode in about 5 seconds.

On Sky Q, I would say 'EastEnders' into the voice remote and then have to scroll through lots of Classic EastEnders episodes from Drama and the latest BBC1 episode was always at the bottom. Then, I have to download it.

That's just one example.
The real question here is why would you want to scroll past the classic eastenders episodes! Far superior in every way.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 13:16   #9
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:

That's just one example.
I've just tried that example and with the touch remote swipe down and hold got to Fridays episode in seconds.

I guess its what you get familiar with , I suppose there is no right or wrong.
Old 16-09-2019, 13:18   #10
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

If you follow EastEnders, why not set up a Series Link?
oliver1948uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2019, 13:22   #11
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
If you follow EastEnders, why not set up a Series Link?
Exactly..
Old 16-09-2019, 14:32   #12
ozsat
cf.mega poster

It is all personal choice - but for every niggle one has - an equally annoying one is on the other.

The big thing for me on the V6 is wishlists.
Old 16-09-2019, 14:39   #13
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
It is all personal choice - but for every niggle one has - an equally annoying one is on the other.
Extremely useful for digging up those golden TV nuggets.
Old 17-09-2019, 20:04   #14
wildfruit
cf.member

Services: M600, talk more anytime 2 x V6, sky cinema, Sky sports Maxit TV, kids pack, unlimited sim
wildfruit is an unknown quantity at this point

I have had Q. Currently on V6.
Subjective of course but I prefer the interface colours on the V6 to the blue on Q.
The Q boxes get a lot warmer.
Sky movies & on demand in general is better laid out on Q.
V6 boxes seem to stay paired better than the Q and mini I had.
4 k on every v6 versus only on main box on Q.
Don’t watch much telly so that’s about all I can weigh in.
wildfruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2019, 20:44   #15
ozsat
cf.mega poster

The V2 SkyQ boxes have the external power supply which reduced the heat of the main box. V1 is in the main set-top-box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildfruit View Post
I have had Q. Currently on V6.
Subjective of course but I prefer the interface colours on the V6 to the blue on Q.
The Q boxes get a lot warmer.
Sky movies & on demand in general is better laid out on Q.
V6 boxes seem to stay paired better than the Q and mini I had.
4 k on every v6 versus only on main box on Q.
Don’t watch much telly so that’s about all I can weigh in.