Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | latency (Ping )

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

latency (Ping )

Old 11-07-2019, 09:16   #31
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: latency (Ping )

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
Slightly off topic, but we dumped Virgin TV several months ago, and can't say I've missed any of it. We now have a Humax Freeview recorder instead, along with a Now TV box for the odd movie. In fairness however, we don't watch a lot of TV.
Yeah, off-topic I have a bee in my bonnet about Murdoch.

Yes, WTG. So much can be got, including freesat, without resorting to the Full Kahoona

Back on topic. Virgin will really have to up its game regarding latency and connection symmetry. This affects gaming, but also applications like remote surgery and manufacture where instant response is vital. Not only will the competition soon beat them on speed, but also on connection quality.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2019, 10:20   #32
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
applications like remote surgery and manufacture where instant response is vital.
Who is doing remote surgery via a residential broadband connection?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:40   #33
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
I think these request for ports 53 (DNS) 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS) come about from "XBox Live". If you read the posts on the VM Help Forums, lots of people are getting angry that they can't forward these ports on the Hub's ....
At least that's my understanding, as I've always used Modem mode and my own Routers.

I believe there's an option to DMZ on the SHUB3 (not 100% as mine is in modem mode only) this could possibly solve some issues
Old 11-07-2019, 18:22   #34
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I think this connection is suffering some packet loss...
Attached Files
File Type: wmv packet loss (2).wmv (348.7 KB, 9 views)
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:51   #35
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Who is doing remote surgery via a residential broadband connection?
Lol. I was making a generalised comment about internet connections. Apparently manufacture from your living room is the future.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote