Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Trump impeachment: Senate trial to start

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Trump impeachment: Senate trial to start

Old 15-02-2021, 17:06   #106
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Re: Trump impeachment: Senate trial to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
If I had to bet I still think he would win the nomination.

That's assuming he even wants it. I think he might prefer to have rallies and attention without the actual job.
Trump’s approval rating within Republican Party is 87%. You got State local GOP applying to censure their State representatives in the U.S Senate. Louisiana’s Cassidy was censured in the immediate aftermath of the Senate vote on Saturday, Burr could be next for North Carolina. The Republican Party isn’t yet ready to turf out Trump.

And why would they, he just won the Republican Party, 75,000,000 votes in a U.S Election, the highest ever for a any Sitting President, I know Joe Biden won 80+ Million, but he wasn’t a sitting president during an election cycle. Biden has to prove himself for next four years to sustain it.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-02-2021, 17:31   #107
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
He’s not wrong in what he’s saying. Democrats chose the wrong tool to get to Trump. Impeachment of a private citizen is not constitutional.

If Trump is guilty of an actual crime, then the U.S has a criminal justice system that can convict and punish the 45th President now he is out of office.
Actually, as I understand it, the Constitution does not limit the power of impeachment to serving presidents, or even serving government officers. Look up William Belknap, Secretary of War, who resigned when he was accused of corruption, then, as with Trump, was impeached after he left. Also, as with Trump, the senate, when voting, failed to reach the required two thirds majority, so was acquitted. His defence argued, as the republicans have, that the senate does not have the power to convict when the person has left.

Personally, I do think Trump was guilty. He didn't directly tell the rioters to riot, but bearing in mind the number of people coming into the capital (and I refuse to believe that many people would have suddenly turned up in Washington and not been noticed by the Authorities, who likely would have alerted the Administration), but he should have asked people to leave. He didn't. He did ask them to demonstrate peacefully, but having spent the last four years winding them up, I'd be surprised if he didn't realise that certain rioters would ignore the word "peacefully", especially as it was only said once.

However, I think Trump has been clever in one way. As one lawyer I watched said, he acts like a Godfather. He never directly orders that anything remotely illegal happens to anyone, but heavily implies that something bad should happen, leaving some functionary to actually do the bad stuff, but leaving the Godfather with plausible deniability.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 18:08   #108
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Trump’s approval rating within Republican Party is 87%. You got State local GOP applying to censure their State representatives in the U.S Senate. Louisiana’s Cassidy was censured in the immediate aftermath of the Senate vote on Saturday, Burr could be next for North Carolina. The Republican Party isn’t yet ready to turf out Trump.

And why would they, he just won the Republican Party, 75,000,000 votes in a U.S Election, the highest ever for a any Sitting President, I know Joe Biden won 80+ Million, but he wasn’t a sitting president during an election cycle. Biden has to prove himself for next four years to sustain it.
It's generally harder to unseat a sitting President though. Already being in the White House is an advantage and it's harder for the challenger, there aren't that many one-term Presidents since WW2. Most win their re-election.

But yeah we don't know how Biden will do. I also suspect he won't run again so it'll be a fresh election rather than challenging an Incumbent.

I think Trump is favourite as I said I just don't think it's a slam dunk when there are 3 more years to go until the Primaries. Losing a prior election is a disadvantage.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 18:43   #109
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Actually, as I understand it, the Constitution does not limit the power of impeachment to serving presidents, or even serving government officers. Look up William Belknap, Secretary of War, who resigned when he was accused of corruption, then, as with Trump, was impeached after he left. Also, as with Trump, the senate, when voting, failed to reach the required two thirds majority, so was acquitted. His defence argued, as the republicans have, that the senate does not have the power to convict when the person has left..
Couple of flaws in the above. Trump was impeached before he left office and it is not Constitutional as per Constitutional expert, Alan Dershowitz. The text of the Constitution refers to the current president, not the former. You cannot remove from office, someone no longer in office. Trump is now a private citizen and the Senate lacks jurisdiction to try him.

The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court usually resides in the judges chair, in cases of Presidential impeachment, but John Roberts refused to reside Trump’s 2nd impeachment trial, this would lean on the argument, if Trump went to Supreme Court, they’d probably agree it’s not a Constitutional impeachment.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 10:29   #110
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Couple of flaws in the above. Trump was impeached before he left office and it is not Constitutional as per Constitutional expert, Alan Dershowitz. The text of the Constitution refers to the current president, not the former. You cannot remove from office, someone no longer in office. Trump is now a private citizen and the Senate lacks jurisdiction to try him.

The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court usually resides in the judges chair, in cases of Presidential impeachment, but John Roberts refused to reside Trump’s 2nd impeachment trial, this would lean on the argument, if Trump went to Supreme Court, they’d probably agree it’s not a Constitutional impeachment.
So he remains impeached without recourse. As a private citizen he cannot contest the impeachment as that would be against the constitution.

In other news.

Trump Cuts Ties With Giuliani: Advisor Says Attorney No Longer Representing ‘In Any Legal Matters’

Quote:
Attorney Rudy Giuliani is “not currently” representing former President Donald Trump “in any legal matters,” Trump advisor Jason Miller said in a statement Tuesday, as the ex-president’s former personal lawyer faces multiple lawsuits against him for his role in Trump’s effort to overturn the presidential election results.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisond...h=39aa664131d3
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 14:11   #111
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/0...atement-469150

Quote:
Former President Donald Trump issued a caustic and highly personal statement against Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday, effectively declaring war on the Kentucky Republican for failing to back his attempts to undermine the 2020 election.

“Mitch is a dour, sullen, and unsmiling political hack, and if Republican Senators are going to stay with him, they will not win again,” Trump said in the statement released by his PAC.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote