Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

Old 25-01-2016, 20:40   #46
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
I make nearly 28k as a contractor without needing a bonus, the offer i got in-house even with 5 years experience was 18k (starting wage)... i don't know anyone willing to loose 10k to do the same job.

If your trying to say that in-house do this then i want to work on your network lol, as i can guaratee you thats not done on my network, im happy to dig a garden and repair a cable however i cant same the same for some in-house, the repairing of d-sides is left to networks... changing to an unused d-side and reporting the damaged d-side to networks is enough (they are extremely helpful and active), sharing a drop while waiting for a repull if damaged outside of the boundary is a must, however as stated above if damaged in the boundary then either the fix is found and repaired or a new piece of wire from the tee to etb, as a contractor the work is still audited by the same in-house PT's that audit in-house work, and HAS to be of the same quality.
Given a choice i will not be going back to installs ever i would rather be homeless and unemployed than be worked like an animal again, as a faults engineer i have to work with the exact same rules that you in-house guys have to work within, but still for 10hrs more per week with less perks.
I see, well sounds like I was wrong
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2016, 20:47   #47
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

[/COLOR]

Why would he cut it off? was it your own F connector?[/QUOTE]

All work originally done with VM kit so compliant F connector and RG59 cable, but it was my isolator as it had 3 taps. You'll need to ask the tech why he cut it off, I know his PT, I've not raised this with him, the tech broke into a sweat when he realised what he had done....just a plonker.
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 12:13   #48
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
The irony of an ISP having trouble hiring in a place called IP-Swi[t]ch.
What is this, bad pun Tuesday?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 18:29   #49
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
What is this, bad pun Tuesday?
Sure is, I even got you a gif[t]:

Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 18:31   #50
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
... and for many more of us, an excellent firm of which to be a customer.

Let us hope that the redundancies weed out the twirks.
Let's hope so.

Has anything more been heard about this, I can't find anything online and it's been almost a year?

Also, if the headcount is actually going to increase as a result of Project Lightening, could they not juggle things about by the use of redeployment?

Their Q4 figures will make very interesting reading. I predict TV customers down, due to the sluggish TiVo and broadband to be up, due to Project Lightening.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 18:36   #51
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Well your predictions so far Richard are not that good.
Old 06-11-2016, 20:25   #52
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well your predictions so far Richard are not that good.
What predictions do you mean?
Old 07-11-2016, 05:34   #53
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
What predictions do you mean?
Well there is such a plethora of them it might take me a little while to find them all....
Old 07-11-2016, 07:09   #54
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

One thing is for sure, they've already cut the numbers of UK support staff. The VM forum team take one week at least to respond. And they still have that wretched offshore call centre despite howling complaints from customers.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:58   #55
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Let's hope so.

Has anything more been heard about this, I can't find anything online and it's been almost a year?
The process is now over and the new organisation structure in place on 1st November.
Quote:

Also, if the headcount is actually going to increase as a result of Project Lightening, could they not juggle things about by the use of redeployment?
Those at risk were free to apply for all available and suitable roles in the company
Old 07-11-2016, 14:04   #56
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Well there is such a plethora of them it might take me a little while to find them all....
Is that really the best you can come up with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
One thing is for sure, they've already cut the numbers of UK support staff. The VM forum team take one week at least to respond. And they still have that wretched offshore call centre despite howling complaints from customers.
It looks like you could well be right, it took over a week for a complaint of mine to be dealt with (got sorted this morning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
The process is now over and the new organisation structure in place on 1st November.

Those at risk were free to apply for all available and suitable roles in the company
That's good.
Old 11-11-2016, 15:41   #57
MrIca
Inactive

MrIca is on a distinguished roadMrIca is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
I make nearly 28k as a contractor without needing a bonus, the offer i got in-house even with 5 years experience was 18k (starting wage)... i don't know anyone willing to loose 10k to do the same job.

If your trying to say that in-house do this then i want to work on your network lol, as i can guaratee you thats not done on my network, im happy to dig a garden and repair a cable however i cant same the same for some in-house, the repairing of d-sides is left to networks... changing to an unused d-side and reporting the damaged d-side to networks is enough (they are extremely helpful and active), sharing a drop while waiting for a repull if damaged outside of the boundary is a must, however as stated above if damaged in the boundary then either the fix is found and repaired or a new piece of wire from the tee to etb, as a contractor the work is still audited by the same in-house PT's that audit in-house work, and HAS to be of the same quality.
Given a choice i will not be going back to installs ever i would rather be homeless and unemployed than be worked like an animal again, as a faults engineer i have to work with the exact same rules that you in-house guys have to work within, but still for 10hrs more per week with less perks.
Surely in house repair techs would earn more than £28k? If not I'll never be working for VM.

Wouldn't in-house repair techs get overtime on top of their basic pay too? Usually direct labour would be on more than contractors. In Openreach direct labour staff earn much more than contractors.

Also, wouldn't you find repairs much more interesting than doing installs day in day out?

Last edited by MrIca; 11-11-2016 at 15:45.
MrIca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 15:54   #58
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post
Surely in house repair techs would earn more than £28k? If not I'll never be working for VM.

Wouldn't in-house repair techs get overtime on top of their basic pay too? Usually direct labour would be on more than contractors. In Openreach direct labour staff earn much more than contractors.

Also, wouldn't you find repairs much more interesting than doing installs day in day out?
I was earning £12k on first line. I got moved to Outage, you know - monitoring the entire country, raising outages, coordinating with the various *NMC's, etc.

Know how much I was on? £12k still.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 18:30   #59
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIca View Post

As always it depends, but in my experience contracting staff have nearly always made more money that client staff
Old 11-11-2016, 18:59   #60
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

According to this, the start for an engineer is just over 22K.

http://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/Ou...fits/index.htm

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote