Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media News Discussion

Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

Old 24-01-2016, 22:02   #31
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media could make 900 redundancies

I hope they dont outsource fault techncians like they have done with installers. Would be a disaster for customer service and maintenance in the network
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2016, 23:11   #32
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Merely interpreting your "statistics"

a photo of a street cab, of course only employees could possibly have one of those.

---------- Post added at 08:21 ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 ----------

I didn't say that.
Sorry but your English grammar is very poor and makes it hard to actually understand what you're trying to saying. There is a difference between 'where, we're and were' although they sound the same

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Banana View Post
There is a site called glass door where you can read people's views on any particular business. On this site you can also see that they have over 200 current vacancies.

In the official press release it talks about increasing heads by 2000 in other parts of the business but that seems to have been overlooked by some of the press outlets for some reason?

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Overview...6248.11,23.htm
200 current vacancies......100 of which are in Direct Sales!!!! lol
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 00:36   #33
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleguy View Post
Sorry but your English grammar is very poor and makes it hard to actually understand what you're trying to saying. There is a difference between 'where, we're and were' although they sound the same[COLOR="Silver"]
Actually they don't sound the same.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 06:53   #34
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Sorry but your English grammar is very poor and makes it hard to actually understand what you're trying to saying. There is a difference between 'where, we're and were' although they sound the same[COLOR="Silver"]

The comma after no idea is what you missed, read slower.
Old 25-01-2016, 06:58   #35
Mr Banana

Quote:
Sorry but your English grammar is very poor and makes it hard to actually understand what you're trying to saying. There is a difference between 'where, we're and were' although they sound the same

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 22:42 ----------

200 current vacancies......100 of which are in Direct Sales!!!! lol
Didn't you say you worked for VM? If so, you may want to get up to speed on what they are up to. Eg if building past another x million homes, they will need sales people to sell their products.
Old 25-01-2016, 13:03   #36
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Seems to be a problem finding reliable employees in Ipswich.
The irony of an ISP having trouble hiring in a place called IP-Swi[t]ch.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 15:42   #37
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
It took long enough to come out. It was announced on Tuesday.

There are no specifics, quite annoying. It's pretty much were getting rid of 900 positions but we don't know where and we don't know when

So you can all worry for the next 24 months.

Very shabby IMO
Indeed on a hook waiting
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:39   #38
vm_tech
cf.addict

vm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to allvm_tech is a name known to all

Heard my position is safe today, thank god, albeit with a lot of departmental shuffling. Hope everything goes well for the other staff on here!
vm_tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 18:21   #39
DJSADERS
Ex - McNicholas Guildford

Services: Sky Q 1TB, 2 x Sky Q Minis, Virgin Media Business Voom Fibre 2
DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via MSN to DJSADERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
I hope they dont outsource fault techncians like they have done with installers. Would be a disaster for customer service and maintenance in the network
Excuse me ?!?!?!?!?!?! Want to explain!?!?!?! I am a "outsourced technician" with better stats than some of the in-house techs in my area... So i say again... EXCUSE ME!?!?!?!?!?!
DJSADERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 19:08   #40
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
Excuse me ?!?!?!?!?!?! Want to explain!?!?!?! I am a "outsourced technician" with better stats than some of the in-house techs in my area... So i say again... EXCUSE ME!?!?!?!?!?!
I think hiring someone per hour rather than per job is best for faults to be fixed. The whole paid per job is wrong IMO but It does seem to work for installs
Old 25-01-2016, 19:21   #41
DJSADERS

DJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of lightDJSADERS is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I think hiring someone per hour rather than per job is best for faults to be fixed. The whole paid per job is wrong IMO but It does seem to work for installs
And i beg to differ... so far this month... 0 repeats...
More jobs get done when being paid per job, which means less wait times for the customer, and better productivity for the business... Also means a decent wage can be earned... Also it doesn't make a difference, as being a contractor we are measured on every single stat that the in-house people are measured on... only difference is that a contractor can be kicked off faults if they don't perform...

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Also wanna state i got offered in-house last year because of my stats... i turned it down as it would be a massive pay cut for the same job allbeit 10hrs less per week...
Old 25-01-2016, 19:28   #42
Nedkelly
Inactive

Services: V6 & Tivo SH3 on 300mb and 200mb and a telephone
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal
Nedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appealNedkelly has a bronzed appeal

Not been on for a long time . Just been reading the comments on this . So for me this would of been the 4th time i would off had to go through this but we were told that we are safe and moving across to another dept . But those who have been told that they are not safe i feel for you as the next few weeks are going to be nerve racking .
As for the debate in-house or contractor faults need to be done by in-house be great if thats all they did and leave installs to partners . it also depends where you live i was a installer many moons ago 1995 but i have also been a install supervisor in-house and as a contractor so i know both sides to the story and a couple of my friends are installers and mangers for some of our contract partners and the turn over of staff for some of our partners is high because of they way they treat the staff . But yes i have seen in-house beat the partners and vice versa so which is best ? by having 2 you keep the competition alive which can be good .
Nedkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 19:35   #43
jungleguy
Inactive

Services: phone TV & BB
jungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of lightjungleguy is a glorious beacon of light

I had service out for a faulty modem, bloke was useless, I've wired all the cable behind the skirting boards, hence there's no slack, and the cable is just long enough to reach the isolator tap.....first thing he did was take a pair of pliers and cut 2 inches of cable off!!!! WTF So the cable now won't reach the isolator tap......complete school boy error
jungleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 20:13   #44
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSADERS View Post
And i beg to differ... so far this month... 0 repeats...
More jobs get done when being paid per job, which means less wait times for the customer, and better productivity for the business... Also means a decent wage can be earned... Also it doesn't make a difference, as being a contractor we are measured on every single stat that the in-house people are measured on... only difference is that a contractor can be kicked off faults if they don't perform...

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:15 ----------

Also wanna state i got offered in-house last year because of my stats... i turned it down as it would be a massive pay cut for the same job allbeit 10hrs less per week...
Its faster to fit a 2 way hdu than find a faulty joint in the garden, its faster to share a drop than fix a drop, its faster to steal a dside rather than fix it, all of the above would probably look good statwise but in the long run is a ticking time bomb, I'm not saying that you do this, but someone who is paid by the job could havr that mentality.

Did you take in account the aspire bonus scheme for salary? I'm a high earner on it and would be surprised if I could be better off as contracor

---------- Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 20:06 ----------

Quote:
I had service out for a faulty modem, bloke was useless, I've wired all the cable behind the skirting boards, hence there's no slack, and the cable is just long enough to reach the isolator tap.....first thing he did was take a pair of pliers and cut 2 inches of cable off!!!! WTF So the cable now won't reach the isolator tap......complete school boy error
Why would he cut it off? was it your own F connector?
Old 25-01-2016, 20:28   #45
DJSADERS

Quote:
Its faster to fit a 2 way hdu than find a faulty joint in the garden, its faster to share a drop than fix a drop, its faster to steal a dside rather than fix it, all of the above would probably look good statwise but in the long run is a ticking time bomb, I'm not saying that you do this, but someone who is paid by the job could havr that mentality.

Did you take in account the aspire bonus scheme for salary? I'm a high earner on it and would be surprised if I could be better off as contracor
I make nearly 28k as a contractor without needing a bonus, the offer i got in-house even with 5 years experience was 18k (starting wage)... i don't know anyone willing to loose 10k to do the same job.

If your trying to say that in-house do this then i want to work on your network lol, as i can guaratee you thats not done on my network, im happy to dig a garden and repair a cable however i cant same the same for some in-house, the repairing of d-sides is left to networks... changing to an unused d-side and reporting the damaged d-side to networks is enough (they are extremely helpful and active), sharing a drop while waiting for a repull if damaged outside of the boundary is a must, however as stated above if damaged in the boundary then either the fix is found and repaired or a new piece of wire from the tee to etb, as a contractor the work is still audited by the same in-house PT's that audit in-house work, and HAS to be of the same quality.
Given a choice i will not be going back to installs ever i would rather be homeless and unemployed than be worked like an animal again, as a faults engineer i have to work with the exact same rules that you in-house guys have to work within, but still for 10hrs more per week with less perks.