Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:46   #3001
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

33 was it you BNz Operator

seems we have our first "bob" here.

http://home.online.no/~anlun/bots.htm

go on , own up, whos running an Eliza here

seems he's better at replying than the Phorm PR guys anyway.
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2008, 03:51   #3002
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

I am beginning to wonder if "AMANFROMMARS" has escaped the El Reg comments system...

Alexander Hanff
Old 12-04-2008, 03:53   #3003
Bobby's-Nutz
Permanently Banned

Bobby's-Nutz is an unknown quantity at this point

Nooo... You cannot read my personal court statements, who do you think you are, Phorm??? Geez who do you work for, don't answer I think we know... haaaa, grow up phorm....
Old 12-04-2008, 03:55   #3004
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

There is no such thing as a personal court statement, they are public record. Thats why we have teletypers and public galleries.

Alexander Hanff
Old 12-04-2008, 03:59   #3005
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Thread cleanup to commence shortly.

Bobby - Stop posting nonsensical rubbish over and over.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:28   #3006
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Thanks Mick,

I suspect he just had a little too much to drink this evening.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 03:28 ---------- Previous post was at 03:18 ----------

No way I am going to finish this paper tonight now after our little distraction. Still it is fashionable to be late right? I will finish it tomorrow I promise
Old 12-04-2008, 07:13   #3007
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

VM are upping the price of the packages soon (sneeky),so people might use that as a good way easly get out of your contract after 30 days notice without penalty if your so inclined and still within the 12 minimum term.

as pointed out by Conniff elseware
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/changes.html
"...
When do the price changes happen?

All of the changes are happening from 1st June 2008. But since you pay for your services a month in advance, you'll see these in your May bill.
"

---------- Post added at 06:13 ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 ----------

hmmm
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...edia/comments/
"
OFCOM might use OIX?

By Gnasher
Posted Thursday 10th April 2008 23:13 GMT
"According to that wiki article, it says the BBC, ft.com, The Guardian, iVillage, Universal McCann, Myspace, MGM OMD and Unanimis had initially expressed an interest about Phorm."

Universal McCann says on its website that OFCOM is its customer"
Old 12-04-2008, 10:36   #3008
amateria
Inactive

amateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
This has been a concern of mine since this whole Phorm thing came to light, but I've not really known how best to describe it.

As there would be another tier between user and ISP/bank on a phorm enabled ISP the risk of fraud increses increases, in the event of a substantial increase of fraud on a Phorm enabled ISP could the ISP/Phorm be held accountable?
I've been wondering the same thing. The ISP and/or Phorm would of course be liable if ANY fraud could be shown to be caused by them. Note that the Virgin terms and conditions seek to limit Virgin's liability for our financial losses to £1 million and to exclude liability for all "indirect" loss caused by them. But Virgin could not rely on these in the case of fraud: they would be liable for the whole amount of any and all frauds that they had a part in. It's not such an unlikely scenario: the surveillance makes it easy to identify high net worth individuals. The interception and the impersonation of 3rd party websites provides a ready-made route for the frauds to be perpetrated.

I am drafting a letter to send to my bank and credit card companies, asking them (in effect) whether they consider I am sharing my security data with a third party by allowing my ISP to intercept and process it, and what effect that has on the bank's liability to compensate me in the event of fraud. This is quite well-developed and I'm happy to share it.

The other thing I am thinking about is asking an insurance broker for a quote for a premium to insure myself against the possibility that the Russian programmers and/or the ISP staff intercept and extract my banking and credit card details. Comments welcome from people who know more about insurance than I do,
Old 12-04-2008, 11:48   #3009
Bonglet
cf.addict

Bonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about them

The chances of phorm only using your data to serve ads upon you would be about 50/50 most of the other data will be used in such a way which is shockingly worrying for many people, this coming from a company whos previous existence as 121 media was to infect you and data mine as much information as they could and btw they didnt serve you forward ads then .

I guess phormpr had a bit too much to drink last night after finding out his job is coming to an end pretty soon and decided to come and post rubbish on a alt name *cough*.
Keep up the good work alexander dont let they who walk among us distract you from events .
Old 12-04-2008, 12:33   #3010
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateria View Post
I am drafting a letter to send to my bank and credit card companies, asking them (in effect) whether they consider I am sharing my security data with a third party by allowing my ISP to intercept and process it, and what effect that has on the bank's liability to compensate me in the event of fraud. This is quite well-developed and I'm happy to share it.
Yes, please do, we need to get the banks on our side.

A few weeks ago I phoned online support at Natwest to gain assurances that they would protect my online banking from interception. They'd never heard of Phorm - neither the man I spoke to, nor his manager.

So yes, a letter would be good. We need to find out if they are going to take responsibility for interception.
Old 12-04-2008, 14:35   #3011
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

@Alexander:

I've just read your latest draft of paper at http://www.paladine.org.uk/phorm_paper.pdf

You've probably already stated elsewhere, but will you be going to the public meeting on Tuesday? I sincerely hope you will be there to confront Kent and Marc on each and every illegality identified in your paper.

Give 'em hell, and keep up the good work - it's hugely appreciated by me and, I'm sure, many, many others who are concerned about the way privacy could go in this country.
Old 12-04-2008, 14:44   #3012
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Yes I will be at the meeting.

Wow this is nice just got up at 1pm, my son is at his grandparents for the weekend so I got to sleep in Mind you I never went to bed til 7am this morning hehehe.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:38 ----------

Ooo thread broke 3000 posts!
Old 12-04-2008, 15:55   #3013
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Holy moly, I dont post or read for a few days because of a being unwell and I come back to find I missed about 700 posts LOL You all been busy. I am glad to see the fight against Phorm is still raging on.

Keep up the good fight Alexander and thank you for all your hard work on this. I cant make the meeting but I am hugely reassured that you will be there to give them hell.

Contrary to what the "astroturfer" said [my guess is it was a PR bod or other Phorm employee trying to distract everyone with something irrelevant or maybe even a disgruntled investor?] this battle is NOT won and we must continue the fight. A great many people have spent many hours posting, writing letters, telling friends, colleagues and acquaintances about the dangers Phorm represents. I thank each and everyone of you.

[ Relatives of Winston Churchill please forgive me for this....]

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight for everyone,
we shall fight on the news sites and blogs
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in our cause, we shall defend our privacy, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight in the media,
we shall fight online,
we shall fight in chat rooms,
we shall fight in courts;
we shall never surrender

Viva la resistance!

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

I just submitted the following two questions to the downing street site for Home Secretary Jacqui Smith to hopefully answer:

"BT recently admitted to carrying out secret trials without permission or consent from over 18000 of their customers in 2006 and 2007. Given that they did not have consent from their customers for this trial of technology provided by an ex-spyware company called Phorm, when will the Home Secretary order the police to launch an investigation into these criminally illegal interceptions under Section 1 of the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA), Section 3 of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 and Section 2 of the Fraud Act 2006.

If the Home Secretary will not order such an investigation, is this because she believes large corporations such as BT should be above the law and immune from prosecution?"
Old 12-04-2008, 16:06   #3014
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Sounds familiar

Alexander Hanff
Old 12-04-2008, 16:14   #3015
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Sounds familiar

Alexander Hanff
You betcha I used your question as a template and just slightly reworded it etc. Wanted to dive back in after a few days away. Hopefully lots of others here will do the same and post similar questions. If they get enough questions on it then maybe they will feel compelled to actually address the issue?

Gonna read your updated article in a minute too.
Closed Thread