Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Tivo box, wifi or network cable

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

Tivo box, wifi or network cable

Old 26-05-2018, 12:34   #1
wifi_user
Inactive

wifi_user is an unknown quantity at this point
Tivo box, wifi or network cable

Hi,

I recently had a Virgin 'upgrade' and an engineer installed a new 'super fast' router. In doing so he connected the Tivo to my network by wireless.

I need to use wireless for my Mac for work and so I need wifi to be reliable and consistent.

Since installing the new 'super router' (Hub 3.0) and upgrading the speed of the connection (350mbps I think) I am now getting wifi drop outs in my study - where I was not before.

I wondered if having the TV connected to the network by wifi is hogging the wifi and so I plugged one end of a network cable into the router and the other into the Tivo box.

Does this now mean that the TV is connected to the network by cable, or do I need to do something else?

Also, does anyone know of an app that will show me what devices in my home (or next door !!) are connected to my wifi and what sort of connection I have for each - also what impact it would have if I disconnected them?

Also, sorry I am new here, I have I a cordless phone which I don't use much (I mostly use mobile) - would getting rid of this help my wifi?

Also, I use a hifi streamer in my study that relies on access to Tidal lossless via wifi. I sometimes get drop outs - possibly because of too many devices hogging the wifi - does anyone have any suggestions for prioritising this over other devices as it is very annoying when it drops out. I don't think a powerline will work for this as I understand that the mains are 'dirty' and apparently that will impact the sound quality.

Sorry for so many questions all at once.

Cheers,
Tony
wifi_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2018, 15:25   #2
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Tivo box, wifi or network cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi_user View Post
Hi,

I recently had a Virgin 'upgrade' and an engineer installed a new 'super fast' router. In doing so he connected the Tivo to my network by wireless.

I need to use wireless for my Mac for work and so I need wifi to be reliable and consistent.

Since installing the new 'super router' (Hub 3.0) and upgrading the speed of the connection (350mbps I think) I am now getting wifi drop outs in my study - where I was not before.

I wondered if having the TV connected to the network by wifi is hogging the wifi and so I plugged one end of a network cable into the router and the other into the Tivo box.

Does this now mean that the TV is connected to the network by cable, or do I need to do something else?

Also, does anyone know of an app that will show me what devices in my home (or next door !!) are connected to my wifi and what sort of connection I have for each - also what impact it would have if I disconnected them?

Also, sorry I am new here, I have I a cordless phone which I don't use much (I mostly use mobile) - would getting rid of this help my wifi?

Also, I use a hifi streamer in my study that relies on access to Tidal lossless via wifi. I sometimes get drop outs - possibly because of too many devices hogging the wifi - does anyone have any suggestions for prioritising this over other devices as it is very annoying when it drops out. I don't think a powerline will work for this as I understand that the mains are 'dirty' and apparently that will impact the sound quality.

Sorry for so many questions all at once.

Cheers,
Tony
I think if ethernet is plugged into the V6 (if that's what you mean by 'tivo') it uses that by default, as it's best. However I've used WiFi without much issue. The problem is likely down to the sh3, people have had issues. Report it to them and let them fix it , if all else fails you could use the sh3 in modem mode and use your own router, I've never used a VM hub any other way.

There are apps to monitor strength of WiFi and what channels they are on, if a neighbour is using the same channel that could cause issues. I use WiFi Analyzer from the Google Play store.

(Oh and by default, your VM WiFi is shared with other passing customers, you can opt out in 'my account' or using modem mode also opts you out I think. )

Welcome to the forum btw

Last edited by Mr K; 26-05-2018 at 15:34.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 19:45   #3
wifi_user
Inactive

wifi_user is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
I think if ethernet is plugged into the V6 (if that's what you mean by 'tivo') it uses that by default, as it's best. However I've used WiFi without much issue. The problem is likely down to the sh3, people have had issues. Report it to them and let them fix it , if all else fails you could use the sh3 in modem mode and use your own router, I've never used a VM hub any other way.
Yes, V6. Thanks, I will monitor it, see what happens. I rather took on face value when the engineer said the hardware was really good.

Quote:
(Oh and by default, your VM WiFi is shared with other passing customers, you can opt out in 'my account' or using modem mode also opts you out I think.
Oh really, I will look at that, could be a drain on bandwidth - lot of VM customers round here.

With regards to the app, I have found a few that measures my strength and other users (my neighbours) but I after something that show which of my devices are hogging the wifi... That would be useful.

Thanks a lot for your comments.
wifi_user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 19:50   #4
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

If the superhub is running wifi connections as well as ethernet, it has more things to think about, so everything would in theory operate more slowly and less reliably.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 22:02   #5
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
If the superhub is running wifi connections as well as ethernet, it has more things to think about, so everything would in theory operate more slowly and less reliably.
Not a great piece of IT equipment if it struggles to do more than one thing at a time !
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2018, 22:14   #6
Onramp
Inactive

Onramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enoughOnramp will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Not a great piece of IT equipment if it struggles to do more than one thing at a time !
Well, sure - but assuming it's an integrated chipset, I'm imagining that it uses a single central processor for all functionality (and for cost reasons). I doubt the Puma 6 has WiFi functionality totally separated in hardware from hard wired networking. When it comes to CPU usage - it probably has an embedded operating system that runs WiFi related tasks some of the time and packet processing at other times, but I could be wrong on that.

If it used to stutter while processing packets, WiFi could be "just another thing for it to have to do"

Last edited by Onramp; 26-05-2018 at 22:17.
Onramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2018, 12:21   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I have fitted my 2 TiVos & V6 TiVo via a vired connect, because I could and it was simple for me to do.

The downstairs one via a powerline adaptor.

Plus they are linked.