Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Dominic Cummings visited parents during lockdown measures

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Dominic Cummings visited parents during lockdown measures
Closed Thread

Old 24-05-2020, 22:30   #346
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Dominic Cummings visited parents during lockdown measures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
1. The whole country is not asking that, I'd venture most really dont care that much, and are sick of the subject.

2. How can anyone take seriously a paper whose main banner is "Diet that could help you beat corona".

Baby, I was born this way.
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2020, 22:41   #347
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
But it is, partly.

Why the media obsession in Cummings?

Why has someone paid some expense and parked a pickup with large tv screen and parked it outside his house earlier this afternoon?

That is not normal behaviour, it's psychotic, usually attributed to people suffering some kind of derangement syndrome.
For some it will be, of course. That’s the nature of our adversarial political system, which Cummings, all SpAds and advisers to other political parties are part of. They can’t plead ignorance to the game.

However for some people in the middle it’s just a case that he made an error of judgement and rather than apologise and repent the Government has simply doubled down on it looking ridiculous in the process. You can’t dismiss all opposition to it (on this issue) by party or Brexit any longer.

They could easily have Mandelsoned him and got his input via the back door (pun not intended) on think tanks or consultancies then got him back in the game when tensions lowered.

---------- Post added at 22:41 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
1. The whole country is not asking that, I'd venture most really dont care that much, and are sick of the subject.

2. How can anyone take seriously a paper whose main banner is "Diet that could help you beat corona".
I’m sure good health is helpful but 4 pages from the Hairy Bikers maybe not so much.
Old 24-05-2020, 22:42   #348
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

"The whole country" is a figure of speech, it's not literal.
Old 24-05-2020, 22:42   #349
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:

I wouldn't take it seriously at all anyway but it is the one of the most sold papers in the country .

Quote:
I think it's caught the attention of the public. At least judging by social media feeds in which people who don't talk about politics suddenly are....
Old 24-05-2020, 22:45   #350
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
"The whole country" is a figure of speech, it's not literal.
So I can safely say then that "The whole country" doesnt give a toss what he did, as its just a figure of speech.

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think it's caught the attention of the public. At least judging by social media feeds in which people who don't talk about politics suddenly are....
You mean its a Bank Holiday, and everyone is bored and fed up of lockdown, and has nothing better to do.

Old 24-05-2020, 22:47   #351
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
So I can safely say then that "The whole country" doesnt give a toss what he did, as its just a figure of speech.
If you had reliable intel to suggest a majority of people felt this way then yes. As Damien says, "If their read on their audience is that they're angry at the Tories then the Mail will reflect that anger..."
Old 24-05-2020, 22:54   #352
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
If you had reliable intel to suggest a majority of people felt this way then yes.
Do thay have reliable intel ? or just their own view.

Old 24-05-2020, 22:54   #353
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
If you had reliable intel to suggest a majority of people felt this way then yes. As Damien says, "If their read on their audience is that they're angry at the Tories then the Mail will reflect that anger..."
I’m sure a straw poll of the forum would probably give a majority

Actually looking at the list of who has posted in this thread it’s quite tight.

Last edited by jfman; 24-05-2020 at 22:57. Reason: Further info
Old 24-05-2020, 23:00   #354
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
However for some people in the middle it’s just a case that he made an error of judgement and rather than apologise and repent the Government has simply doubled down on it looking ridiculous in the process. You can’t dismiss all opposition to it (on this issue) by party or Brexit any longer.
I think if Cummings had early on said he'd panicked and made a mistake due to pressure of work etc and apologised then to the country it would have been a non-issue. Certainly to me, anyway. But he didn't do this.

The current story of one rule for them, another for us plays out against a background io people making incredible sacrifices for the benefit of the nation. And they feel stabbed in the back. The ironical thing is that Cummings would be pleased of such strong and simple messaging. It actually plays to his theme of attacking institutions!

I think this is a prime example of Cummings' flawed genius: he sees apologising and admitting his mistakes as a weakness, so will do anything to avoid doing so. Even if it undermines the Government.

---------- Post added at 23:00 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Quote:
Do thay have reliable intel ? or just their own view.
They've been around since 1896 so they must have or they wouldn't still be in businesss.
Old 24-05-2020, 23:01   #355
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I certainly am.

Pierre, what about you?
I’m all for due process.
Old 24-05-2020, 23:07   #356
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
They've been around since 1896 so they must have or they wouldn't still be in businesss.
ROFL.

So thats a no then.

Old 24-05-2020, 23:07   #357
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:

It's about what sells the newspaper.I think that the Daily Mail knows it's target audience very well.
Old 24-05-2020, 23:16   #358
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’m all for due process.

---------- Post added at 23:11 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Quote:
ROFL.

So thats a no then.
They've got their reader panels, editorial conferences, surveys, reader comments, reader polls, reader emails, etc. They know how to gauge these matters or they wouldn't still be in business.

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
It's about what sells the newspaper.I think that the Daily Mail knows it's target audience very well.
I think that's what makes it particularly hard for those still backing Cummings. They can accept The Mirror and The Guardian voicing such opinions. But when the voice of Middle England - the Daily Mail - voices the same opinion, they know it's a serious wake-up call.
Old 24-05-2020, 23:20   #359
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I think key to any question of being seen a second time (and any subsequent time) will be did he go to London in the interim. If he was still residing in Durham I think given the way the law is phrased: “reasonable excuse“ and the first step being for an officer to ask you to return home it’s a case of “well, we don’t think you should have done that, don’t do it again”. For travelling to Durham in the first instance it’d clearly be unreasonable to make him travel back to London.

It’s always been the case the Government know the law as written, guidance and some statements made don’t 100% match. E.g. Gove said around an hour would be reasonable for exercise. I’m not having a go at Gove, or the Government for that - it’s the nature of emergency legislation - it had to be wooly to pass with consensus (e.g. no human rights challenges etc.) essentially relying on communications to fill the gaps. Something they did reasonably well.
Old 24-05-2020, 23:33   #360
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

My feeling is that no more detail is needed on this as far as the public mood is concerned, as it has already made up its mind. It feels let down with differing standards being applied. Cummings may well stay but the Government will suffer for it in the future.
Closed Thread