Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Do I need a SH3 for 300M?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Do I need a SH3 for 300M?

Old 10-03-2018, 16:40   #1
NoCableForMe
cf.member

NoCableForMe is an unknown quantity at this point
Do I need a SH3 for 300M?

Probably a dumb question but do I need a SH3 for 300mbps connection.

I currently have 100mpbs connection, VM site shows I can get a max of 200 but there are neighbours with SH3's on 300 connections....or should I go for a business 350?
NoCableForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2018, 17:41   #2
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road
Re: Do I need a SH3 for 300M?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCableForMe View Post
Probably a dumb question but do I need a SH3 for 300mbps connection.

I currently have 100mpbs connection, VM site shows I can get a max of 200 but there are neighbours with SH3's on 300 connections....or should I go for a business 350?
In short, yes, you do. You need the extra downstream channels to be able to consistently get 300/350Mb, local congestion (if any) withstanding.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 18:18   #3
NoCableForMe
cf.member

NoCableForMe is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
NoCableForMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 00:54   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

ya, it all comes down to numbers. I think each downstream channel can do something like 55mbits and shubs 1 and 2 can only use 8 channels down so 8x55=440mbits. If you have got a 350mbit connection which is provisioned at 400mbits you are pretty much asking to have all of those 8 channels to yourself which isn't going to happen. I think most areas are going to be on a 20 or 24 channel bonding group and the shub3 will load balance across those channels which gives you a greater chance of achieving max speed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote