Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 25-06-2015, 12:42   #1591
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkC1984 View Post

The majority of welfare is spent on pensions. Would anyone object to the pension pot being cut drastically?
Yes. Because pensioners are the ones who have paid into the system all their lives.
Advertisement
Old 25-06-2015, 13:16   #1592
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
If you ever need to borrow a few quid give me a shout
I need £10,000 - £50,000.
be generous and God bless you

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:10 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
Yes. Because pensioners are the ones who have paid into the system all their lives.
Not even £1 a week?
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:40   #1593
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod View Post
That is a good but emotive reason. It is unsustainable it is a bad medicine to swallow but if it does not change then the welfare bill will grow and grow no matter what cuts are made
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:41   #1594
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhook View Post
In all honesty yes because you do not need it. The state pension is part of the welfare budget in all honesty Hugh do you need welfare? will you ever need it?

I know what the state pension was meant to be originally but this failed. I do find it amusing that a guy on a high end wage wants his state pension irrelevant of where it comes from
Irrelevant of where it came from?

There was me thinking part of it came from me working solidly for 49 years, happily contributing through tax (at least 40% for the last 20 and the next 8 years) and NI....

Don't forget, I will be taxed on my pensions, including the state pension, so the country will be getting it back - or should I just not bother paying into my pension, and spend all the money now....

ymmv....
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 13:56   #1595
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhook View Post
In all honesty yes because you do not need it. The state pension is part of the welfare budget in all honesty Hugh do you need welfare? will you ever need it?

I know what the state pension was meant to be originally but this failed. I do find it amusing that a guy on a high end wage wants his state pension irrelevant of where it comes from
There it is people.

It's where we've been heading for some time now.

The "you provide for me" culture

The you've worked hard all your life, been a net contributor to the system, well we want it all, and you can't have anything back - you richer than me greedy *******. You keep paying for me.
Old 25-06-2015, 14:28   #1596
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Irrelevant of where it came from?

There was me thinking part of it came from me working solidly for 49 years, happily contributing through tax (at least 40% for the last 20 and the next 8 years) and NI....

Don't forget, I will be taxed on my pensions, including the state pension, so the country will be getting it back - or should I just not bother paying into my pension, and spend all the money now....

ymmv....
yes and fair play I respect you for it. I am sure you have had a high standard of living and enjoyed a good life for your hard work to? and you have self respect. As I said it is a very emotive subject but still alters nothing really the state pension is rapidly increasing and is unsustainable

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
There it is people.

It's where we've been heading for some time now.

The "you provide for me" culture

The you've worked hard all your life, been a net contributor to the system, well we want it all, and you can't have anything back - you richer than me greedy *******. You keep paying for me.
utter crap

All I am saying is the state pension keeps rising and no one is prepared to accept it is a problem. Instead you have a pop and totally ignore the facts

Having to repeat myself because people ignore what I am saying and make assumptions that I want their tax
Old 25-06-2015, 15:31   #1597
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Ignore Kursk; he appears to live in a different reality. A selfish, misanthropic one at that.
That's plainly unfair. My point of view is different to yours; that doesn't make me selfish or misanthropic. There are also others here who agree with my point of view.

Pensioners have earned their pension through times that have been difficult but they didn't bleat about it. Those who want to enjoy similar security will have to earn it too.

I suggest they get on with it instead of expending all their energy crying woe is me.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 16:38   #1598
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

I can see both points of view but we are getting his hard from all areas, while they might be able to sustain the current state pension my gripe is that there are a lot of old folks now that retired at 55/60

I have to work a further 10 years beyond that to get state pension. so while these oldies are bleating on about paying in all their lives and living it up at being able to go at 55/60 and thinking of themselves lets look at the younger generation that are having to work 10/15 or even 20 years longer to keep those older ones going.

At the moment like I said it's 70 for me state pension but that's under this current Gov. I've got 33 years left to work to reach 70 we are talking about 5/6 general elections in my working life time and their either wont be a state pension by then or I'll be working till 100 to claim
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 17:29   #1599
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

On the bright side, we are living longer nowadays...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 17:37   #1600
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Those in their 20's and 30's will have to provide for their own pensions as the giant Ponzie state scheme is coming to a shuddering halt. The triangle is collapsing as the population ages.

I think we have a duty to provide for those who have decades of contributions. The real losers here are likely to be those in their forties and early fifties, being caught between being unable to build a personal pension pot and the state pension falling in value.
Old 25-06-2015, 18:28   #1601
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Those in their 20's and 30's will have to provide for their own pensions as the giant Ponzie state scheme is coming to a shuddering halt. The triangle is collapsing as the population ages.

I think we have a duty to provide for those who have decades of contributions. The real losers here are likely to be those in their forties and early fifties, being caught between being unable to build a personal pension pot and the state pension falling in value.
good job the welfare state will look after those in need
Old 25-06-2015, 20:09   #1602
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
On the bright side, we are living longer nowadays...
And triple-locked longer into the bargain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin78 View Post
I'll be working till 100 to claim
I think the young are to blame for living longer due to their healthy lifestyles, the contentment of owning their own home and their feckless procreation .
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 15:45   #1603
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
You're actually entirely accurate there. Since 2012-13 welfare outside of that being paid to pensioners has dropped while the pensioner welfare bill continues to rise.

It'll also only get worse if wage growth remains weak, as pensions are guaranteed to rise by at least 2.5% even if inflation and wage growth run below that level.

Ignore Kursk; he appears to live in a different reality. A selfish, misanthropic one at that.
I got no idea if ignition agrees with me on what should be done with working age benefits, but I 100% agree with ignition that there needs to be something done about the special treatment to pensioners, pensions make a huge chunk of the DWP budget, and yet we have a government claiming much smaller budgets the country cannot afford.

My view is that pensioners should get the same treatment as working age sickness benefits, so increases and decreases are linked, and things like heating allowance, free tv licenses scrapped. Also they should be subject to the same housing changes, so bedroom tax and council tax support changes.

The entire benefit system is geared around giving a level of support depending on your age. e.g. the single room rate for housing benefit threshold was pushed to 35 years of age from 25, and I expect in 10 years it will be pushed again to 45 and 10 years later then 55 and so on. The cuts are been aimed at certain age groups, and of course this applies to pensions as well, as those currently funding the current pensioners will not get the same treatment when they retire.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 16:43   #1604
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Lost for words.. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-expenses.html
Old 01-07-2015, 18:03   #1605
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Bit of a non-story really.

MPs have a credit card they can use for incidentals. They have to square it off every month by justifying the expenditure or it is blocked. seems like a good system to me.

All this is highlighting is that MPs are bad with their paperwork nothing more

Quote:
All have since cleared their debts.