Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 27-11-2018, 11:11   #3841
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I think the point being made was that it was inappropriate to have a view that is based on a small sample (whether it be disability or migrants), as anecdote is not the singular form of data...
Precisely. Benefit fraud accounts for a fraction of one per cent the amounts paid.
Advertisement
Old 27-11-2018, 11:22   #3842
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I think it NOW time to get back on to Brexit - we have far wandered off track, discussing Benefit fraud has nothing to do with Brexit.
Old 27-11-2018, 11:26   #3843
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from Hom3r:

I think vince cable is broken and stuck in a loop as the old fool keeps wining on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on about another vote.
Looking a bit rough these days:

gryla.jpg
Old 27-11-2018, 11:26   #3844
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...deal-great-eu/

Oh dear, Donald isn't helping is he ! Probably had a nudge from his buddy Farage.
Pah, we'll just trade using WTO rules. Their tune will soon change when Ford and Chrysler come knocking at the door. They need us more than we need them, etc.
Old 27-11-2018, 12:29   #3845
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Seems the Govt are defying parliament and refusing to publish the full legal advice on Brexit. Wonder what they are trying to hide?
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&so...43408046240085
Quote:
Ministers have suggested they will not publish the full legal advice given to Cabinet on Theresa May’s Brexit deal despite MPs voting for it to be released in a move which has sparked a major backlash.
Old 27-11-2018, 21:27   #3846
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Seems the Govt are defying parliament and refusing to publish the full legal advice on Brexit. Wonder what they are trying to hide?
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&so...43408046240085
If it's based on legal fact then there is no need to publish it, as everything should already be known and certain. If it's "needed", then it must be yet another meaningless biased report based upon speculation.
Old 27-11-2018, 21:28   #3847
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Certain people in this thread have said that the EU is only doing what it should - namely look after its own interests. This is to sneer at the decision to leave the EU (they should not do that) and to sneer at the guvmin's mishandling of all this (quite right).

No sooner is the ink dry on that awful Withdrawal Agreement then Macron is already demanding a chunk of our fishing rights if we are to stand any chance of a trade agreement. That's a nasty piece of crowing. They are nasty, whether or not they are protecting their interests. If we treat with them, it's a battle we can't win.

Parliament ought to be wise enough to vote down the Withdrawal Agreement. But if not, we are set for another assault on our nation by the EU; so I doubt that will happen.

That leaves No Deal vs Remain. Remain won't be easy because those nasty people will exact a price for allowing Article 50 to be rescinded; we'll lose out rebate for a start. On the other hand, if they really do want us to stay, they could put sweeteners our way during the campaign.

If, in a referendum, we voted No Deal, which is my preference, we would be shot of them. They would be the bad boys in the world's eyes if they stopped Eurostar, etc and the world would laugh at the French who set so much importance by being able to fish our waters.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 27-11-2018, 21:38   #3848
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Certain people in this thread have said that the EU is only doing what it should - namely look after its own interests. This is to sneer at the decision to leave the EU (they should not do that) and to sneer at the guvmin's mishandling of all this (quite right).
If I ask my wife for a divorce, and she tries to get the best deal for her and the kids, I don’t think she would be sneering at me asking for a divorce, she would be trying do what’s right for her.

If people disagree with us, they’re not sneering, just disagreeing - taking it personally is why things escalate.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 27-11-2018, 21:42   #3849
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
If I ask my wife for a divorce, and she tries to get the best deal for her and the kids, I don’t think she would be sneering at me asking for a divorce, she would be trying do what’s right for her.

If people disagree with us, they’re not sneering, just disagreeing - taking it personally is why things escalate.
Indeed, if we had any power in this negotiation we would be using it and any suggestion we shouldn’t try to get the best deal for Britain would be getting laughed out of town.

All trade deals require compromise, so if France has a starting point over fish and we want “frictionless trade” we have to ask ourselves what is most important?

Some of the adjectives getting thrown around are massively disproportionate. It’s cold hard capitalist maths.
Old 27-11-2018, 21:48   #3850
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

There is no valid comparison between Brexit and the analogy you have made. You wrote about your wife sneering at you; I wrote about the UK seeking a divorce from the EU and a cohort on this forum (as distinct from the EU sneering at us) sneering at those (52%) who voted for the divorce.

Old 27-11-2018, 21:56   #3851
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

There is no valid comparison between Brexit and the analogy you have made. You wrote about your wife sneering at you; I wrote about the UK seeking a divorce from the EU and a cohort on this forum (as distinct from the EU sneering at us) sneering at those (52%) who voted for the divorce.
It’s a statement of reality that capitalist entities look after their own financial interests. Even where charity, or aid, comes into it this is often for PR or other political reasons and almost never some grand selfless act.

To expect a trading bloc of 27 nations to do anything other than strike the best deal they can for their own interests is simply delusional.

I’m sorry you feel that is sneering.
Old 27-11-2018, 22:01   #3852
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed, if we had any power in this negotiation we would be using it and any suggestion we shouldn’t try to get the best deal for Britain would be getting laughed out of town.

All trade deals require compromise, so if France has a starting point over fish and we want “frictionless trade” we have to ask ourselves what is most important?

Some of the adjectives getting thrown around are massively disproportionate. It’s cold hard capitalist maths.
We know all that. But it comes down to how much bashing can we take from those bullies? There you go again.

Old 27-11-2018, 22:03   #3853
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

I thought the analogy was quite good !

The EU could equally call us nasty for demanding rebates, opt outs, special treatment, sending Farage to shout abuse in the EU parliament etc etc. Quite frankly we've been a pain in the backside.

Even if we change our minds now, they might not want us back, don't blame them.
Old 27-11-2018, 22:04   #3854
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
We know all that. But it comes down to how much bashing can we take from those bullies? There you go again.
I don’t see how it can be bullying as we invited them to do this.
Old 27-11-2018, 22:09   #3855
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:

Chill mate. No one's sneering at the 52%, Sephiroth.
Closed Thread