Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 25-11-2018, 09:16   #3706
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

Indeed but has ever a country been so deeply divided.
Old 25-11-2018, 09:18   #3707
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Brexit voters were sold an impossible dream back in 2016, but the Brexit elite were happy to provide snappy phrases like "Project Fear" when challenged by the realities.
Once Brexiters have moved into the stage of accepting this, and I appreciate that this phase won't happen overnight, they should direct their fire at those who sold them that dream, and not just those who had to pick up the pieces.
Old 25-11-2018, 09:22   #3708
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Her poll numbers have actually gone up since the deal. This effort to engage public to build support is working for her.
Old 25-11-2018, 09:37   #3709
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
What else can you expect as many politicians are full of contradictions and insincerity sadly.
In defence of the PM (something I’m loathed to do) she is a remainer, implementing a policy she doesn’t agree with because everyone who campaigned to leave had no coherent plan of how to achieve Brexit.

One thing she most definitely isn’t is a traitor. She stepped up when no-one else would.
Old 25-11-2018, 09:52   #3710
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
In defence of the PM (something I’m loathed to do) she is a remainer, implementing a policy she doesn’t agree with because everyone who campaigned to leave had no coherent plan of how to achieve Brexit.
And there lies why it has been such a omnishambles.

---------- Post added at 09:52 ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 ----------

Quote:
One thing she most definitely isn’t is a traitor. She stepped up when no-one else would.
l for one would not call her a traitor as even though l am no fan of her l am glad she has not given in to the hardliners.
Old 25-11-2018, 09:53   #3711
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I agree with that statement, but it’s not a shambles because of TM.
Old 25-11-2018, 09:54   #3712
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Her poll numbers have actually gone up since the deal. This effort to engage public to build support is working for her.
It’s not public support she needs.
Old 25-11-2018, 10:00   #3713
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It’s not public support she needs.
Nope but this is a clear strategy they have. They are probably hoping that public support will apply political pressure on MPs, make it an unpopular thing to do to vote against this deal. Especially if as predicted it goes to a second round after being rejected once.

I think May's best argument is the 'let's get on with it'. The voters might be sick of this whole thing by now and back it just to get it over and done with. I am certainly sick of it.
Old 25-11-2018, 10:14   #3714
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

That is far too simplistic. Theresa May was not an enthusiastic supporter of 'Remain' and did not throw herself into the debate. In reality, she probably voted to remain to show loyalty to David Cameron.

It is an absolute fallacy to continue to spread this myth that as a remainer she cannot grasp what is needed to leave the EU. I've had to do many things in my time at work that I have not personally believed in and been congratulated for my efforts. Theresa May soon realised that there was a fair bit of fluff flying around from the likes of Boris and realised that she was probably the only one to have a vision of how we could leave without causing too much disruption to business.

TM's assessment was a fair one, although personally, I have little doubt that with the right leadership, we could have made a 'no deal' Brexit work. Either way, we'll get there in the end.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

Quote:
Nope but this is a clear strategy they have. They are probably hoping that public support will apply political pressure on MPs, make it an unpopular thing to do to vote against this deal. Especially if as predicted it goes to a second round after being rejected once.

I think May's best argument is the 'let's get on with it'. The voters might be sick of this whole thing by now and back it just to get it over and done with. I am certainly sick of it.
I agree, and it is pretty clear now I tbink, that the public do just want to get on with it.
Old 25-11-2018, 10:18   #3715
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Correct.

But how many MPs voted in Remain in staunch Leave constituencies?

However, I think it’s too close to the finishing line now.

If it gets voted down in Parliament.........god knows.
Old 25-11-2018, 10:25   #3716
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I think it will get voted down at the first but then what?

Labour will go 'well, General Election' which won't happen.

There isn't Parliamentary support for a second referendum. There isn't Parliamentary support for a Hard Brexit and the only option remaining for the second group, the MPs wanting to avoid a hard Brexit, is this deal on a second try....
Old 25-11-2018, 10:38   #3717
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I think Theress May will keep plugging away till it's either passed or she gets bored and resigns. I don't think the other options have more support than her proposals, unpopular as her proposals are in Parliament.
Curve ball would be something like a Norway deal but I don't think there's much support for that either and time is against it. As others have said, people are bored with Brexit and There's a May's agreement tackles this issue
Old 25-11-2018, 10:42   #3718
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
That is far too simplistic. Theresa May was not an enthusiastic supporter of 'Remain' and did not throw herself into the debate. In reality, she probably voted to remain to show loyalty to David Cameron.

It is an absolute fallacy to continue to spread this myth that as a remainer she cannot grasp what is needed to leave the EU. I've had to do many things in my time at work that I have not personally believed in and been congratulated for my efforts. Theresa May soon realised that there was a fair bit of fluff flying around from the likes of Boris and realised that she was probably the only one to have a vision of how we could leave without causing too much disruption to business.

TM's assessment was a fair one, although personally, I have little doubt that with the right leadership, we could have made a 'no deal' Brexit work. Either way, we'll get there in the end.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 ----------

I agree, and it is pretty clear now I tbink, that the public do just want to get on with it.
At no point did I suggest she cannot grasp what is needed to leave the EU. I think that, as someone in favour of remaining, she can look at it with the cold objectivity required.

Others, mainly on the leave side, lack objectivity and often view it through some outdated view of Empire and nationalist pride. Often demonstrated with wartime terminology, of stances more appropriate to the 19th century than the 21st.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:40 ----------

Quote:
I think it will get voted down at the first but then what?

Labour will go 'well, General Election' which won't happen.

There isn't Parliamentary support for a second referendum. There isn't Parliamentary support for a Hard Brexit and the only option remaining for the second group, the MPs wanting to avoid a hard Brexit, is this deal on a second try....
This is when kicking the can down the road becomes a viable option everyone can agree upon.
Old 25-11-2018, 10:59   #3719
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I think EEA is better than this deal btw.
Old 25-11-2018, 11:27   #3720
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Brexit means Brexit - she’s delivering on leaving the EU.

She was never going to satisfy everyone.
How dare you? She's delivering a win for the EU and a serious loss for the UK.

She is satisfying nobody except the EU who are laughing up our asses.

My advice is at your risk.
Closed Thread