Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [UPDATED] Oscar Winners 2018

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

[UPDATED] Oscar Winners 2018

Old 23-01-2018, 15:55   #1
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
[UPDATED] Oscar Winners 2018

The nominations are out today and they are probably what you would expect given the nominations from the Golden Globes, SAG's etc. Who do you want to win each award or who do you think is going to win? Unfortunately in my case they are usually two completely different things . I have put together a quick list for the main awards below and left out stuff like foreign language film and documentary short etc.

I wouldn't mind having a crack at most of them now but to be fair I am going to watch all the films nominated for the big awards first and when I have done that I'll come back with my hopes/predictions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (475.9 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by General Maximus; 23-01-2018 at 15:58.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-01-2018, 16:48   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Oscar nominations 2018: who do you want to win?

TBH, I dont care.

Very little of what ever gets oscars is anything I would ever watch, or give any kind of award to.

For example, I have not watched, nor have any interest in, a single nomination for "Best Picture".

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2018, 16:54   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

haven't you seen Dunkirk? Darkest Hour was very moving and I genuinely want to see The Shape of Water as well. I am going to watch the rest of them anyway because I used to get explosive when I wanted something like Dunkirk to win and then random film X (Lady Bird for example) that I hadn't seen won. Same goes for the acting categories. I love Denzel Washington but I think Gary Oldman should win this year. I am going to watch the other nominated performances though just in case someone else gets it so I understand/appreciate why.

Another one which gets me every year is Original Score. What the pluck has John Williams got to do to get an Oscar?
Old 23-01-2018, 18:39   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Nope, I have no interest in Dunkirk, or The Darkest Hour.
I saw the trailer for The Shape of Water last year and again, not my kind of film.

As for John Williams, if he has never got an oscar then thats surprising.

Old 23-01-2018, 19:01   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

he has got one Oscar and a gazillion nominations. He is the most nominated person for anything in Oscar history. I'll admit that some years his scores are good but nothing special and there have been other composers which deserved to win but there have been plenty of times (and more often than not) when he should win hands down but the Oscar goes to some shitty person who whacked a couple of keys on a piano for a film you haven't heard of. This year I think it is definitely between John Williams and Hans Zimmer. I love Hans Zimmer as well but the soundtrack to Dunkirk, amazing as it is, is less (no) music and more sound effects so I think John Williams should get it. As I said at the time, the music in The Last Jedi is one of the few things I loved about the film; it is a pleasure to listen to and very powerful and moving.
Old 23-01-2018, 20:18   #6
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

So here is what I think will win and what I want to win. I have * next to the films I haven't yet seen (Shape of Water and Lady Bird as well as I, Tonya I'll go see):

Best picture
Call Me by Your Name*
Darkest Hour
Should win: Dunkirk or Get Out
Lady Bird*
Phantom Thread*
The Post
The Shape of Water*
Will Win: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Best actor
Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name*
Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread*
Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out
Should and Will win: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour
Denzel Washington, Roman J Israel, Esq*

Best actress
Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water*
Should and Will win: Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Margot Robbie, I, Tonya*
Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird*
Meryl Streep, The Post

Best director
Paul Thomas Anderson, Phantom Thread*
Will Win: Guillermo del Toro, The Shape of Water*
Greta Gerwig, Lady Bird*
Should win: Christopher Nolan, Dunkirk
Jordan Peele, Get Out

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
haven't you seen Dunkirk? Darkest Hour was very moving and I genuinely want to see The Shape of Water as well. I am going to watch the rest of them anyway because I used to get explosive when I wanted something like Dunkirk to win and then random film X (Lady Bird for example) that I hadn't seen won. Same goes for the acting categories. I love Denzel Washington but I think Gary Oldman should win this year. I am going to watch the other nominated performances though just in case someone else gets it so I understand/appreciate why.

Another one which gets me every year is Original Score. What the pluck has John Williams got to do to get an Oscar?
Out of the films I have seen for Best Score it has to go to Dunkirk.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 19:28   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Old 01-03-2018, 14:24   #8
CassieJ
Inactive

CassieJ is on a distinguished roadCassieJ is on a distinguished road

"Shape of water" does have lots of nomination! I haven't watched it yet but I heard all good reviews.
CassieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 15:24   #9
General Maximus
Ran Away

Okay, I have left it a bit last minute but I have watched all the films nominated for the big awards and I am going to have my first ever stab at who is going to win what. Unfortunately who I want to win and who I think is going to win usually tend to be different completely different things. I think the biggest thing which is really going to piss me off for the irony is if makeup and hair don't go to Darkest Hour for how they did Gary Oldman, especially if he wins Best Actor. The one category in which I think all the nominees are equally deserving and I would gladly see any of them win is Visual Effects.

Best Picture:
Want: Darkest Hour
Think: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Lead Actor:
Want & Think: Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”

Lead Actress:
Want & Think: Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Supporting Actor:
Want & Think:Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”

Supporting Actress:
Want & Think: Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”

Director:
Want: “Dunkirk,” Christopher Nolan
Think: “The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro

Animated Feature:
Want & Think: “Coco,” Lee Unkrich, Darla K. Anderson

Adapted Screenplay:
Think: “Call Me by Your Name,” James Ivory
Want: “Logan,” Scott Frank & James Mangold and Michael Green

Original Screenplay:
Want & Think: “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,” Martin McDonagh

Cinematography:
Want & Think: “Dunkirk,” Hoyte van Hoytema

Film Editing:
Want & Think: “Dunkirk,” Lee Smith

Sound Editing:
Want: “Blade Runner 2049,” Mark Mangini, Theo Green
Think: “Dunkirk,” Alex Gibson, Richard King

Sound Mixing:
Want: “Blade Runner 2049,” Mac Ruth, Ron Bartlett, Doug Hephill
Think: “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” Stuart Wilson, Ren Klyce, David Parker, Michael Semanick

Production Design:
Want: “Beauty and the Beast,” Sarah Greenwood; Katie Spencer
Think: “Darkest Hour,” Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer

Original Score:
Think: “The Shape of Water,” Alexandre Desplat
Want: “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” John Williams

Original Song:
Think: “Stand Up for Something” from “Marshall,” Diane Warren, Common
Want: “This Is Me” from “The Greatest Showman,” Benj Pasek, Justin Paul

Makeup and Hair:
Want & Think: “Darkest Hour,” Kazuhiro Tsuji, David Malinowski, Lucy Sibbick

Costume Design:
Want: “Beauty and the Beast,” Jacqueline Durran
Think: “Victoria and Abdul,” Consolata Boyle

Visual Effects:
Want: “Blade Runner 2049,” John Nelson, Paul Lambert, Richard R. Hoover, Gerd Nefzer
Think: “War for the Planet of the Apes,” Joe Letteri, Dan Lemmon, Daniel Barrett, Joel Whist
Old 05-03-2018, 07:02   #10
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

The winners and the losers from the 2018 Oscars ceremony.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...f-winners-live
Old 05-03-2018, 17:35   #11
General Maximus
Ran Away

Re: [UPDATED}Oscar Winners 2018

I know many of you will think the Oscars is a snooze fest but this is worth a watch. I love it when they do stuff like this (similar prank last year as well) and it would be the best day of my lift if Gal Gadot walked in and surprised me.

Old 05-03-2018, 18:18   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I know many of you will think the Oscars is a snooze fest ....
I dont even rate it that highly.

A bunch of people full of their own self importance, for films that get further and further away from what the majority of the public watch each year.

Old 05-03-2018, 18:53   #13
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Oscars TV ratings plunge again on last year to an historic low according to LA Times.

Liberal and Virtue self signalling on an award show is not a winning formula.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 20:46   #14
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I know many of you will think the Oscars is a snooze fest but this is worth a watch. I love it when they do stuff like this (similar prank last year as well) and it would be the best day of my lift if Gal Gadot walked in and surprised me.

My Mum loves watching it.
Old 05-03-2018, 23:17   #15
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
A bunch of people full of their own self importance, for films that get further and further away from what the majority of the public watch each year.
Most of the Best Picture nominees were box office successes as well. They're not on the scale of Star Wars or Marvel films but they make a lot of money, cost a lot of money, and have wide releases. These weren't art house films.

Award shows a bit of a nonsense of course but they've never been a measure of what sold the most tickets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Oscars TV ratings plunge again on last year to an historic low according to LA Times.

Liberal and Virtue self signalling on an award show is not a winning formula.
The Oscars have always been liberal. It's probably more to do with the general decline of TV watching in favour of things like Netflix and YouTube. Also something like the Oscars isn't even going to be time-shifted because once you know the results, who cares?
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote