Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 04:50   #4681
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
... that idea would be the ultimate cutting out the middleman. Very interesting.

Pay tv like Sky was always driven primarily by football, if the pay tv platforms lose this to the streamers or the PL directly, its game over for the likes of Sky and BT.
You have no substantive proof of that nor are you likely to.

---------- Post added at 04:45 ---------- Previous post was at 04:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It's just a toe in the water before the big plunge, Raider.
You keep saying OB but if you keep saying that you might believe yourself one day.

---------- Post added at 04:47 ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 ----------

Quote:
Agreed, but for some strange reason, there are some people who would like Sky, who have single-handedly raised the cost of Premiership football to this astronomical level, to retain the exclusive rights to the majority of rights to screen these football matches.
Who l wonder? as l myself have been a consistent critic on many a occasion.

---------- Post added at 04:49 ---------- Previous post was at 04:47 ----------

Quote:
I think that ultimately the new players will forge a course that will see a reduction in these obscene level of charges to football supporters.
As ever the dream world and OB go hand in hand.

---------- Post added at 04:50 ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So more bidding competition for Premier League football equals cheaper costs for us the viewers interesting.
l await like you for that to ever come to fruition.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:09   #4682
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
It's just a toe in the water before the big plunge, Raider.

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:04 ----------

Agreed, but for some strange reason, there are some people who would like Sky, who have single-handedly raised the cost of Premiership football to this astronomical level, to retain the exclusive rights to the majority of rights to screen these football matches.

I think that ultimately the new players will forge a course that will see a reduction in these obscene level of charges to football supporters.

Not at all - the level of payments increased astronomically when the PL were forced to sell packages of rights with no 1 broadcaster allowed them all. This is when sky had to substantially increase their bids.

Without this intervention (in the guise of competition to benefit the customer) the payments would not have risen so high as any newcomer would have had to outbid sky for all the rights rather than 1 or 2 packages - this has proven detrimental to the customer as they have ended up paying significantly more to view all broadcast games.

I would not be surprised if PL tried to set up their own streaming service - however would clubs throw away all that guaranteed income for a share of a hypothetical amount - bearing in mind the cost of processing the payments, securing content and advertising would fall on them rather than sky/BT.

I suspect we will never get to see the viewing figures per match for these 2 streamed packages.
Old 04-11-2018, 18:19   #4683
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Now TV offline viewing is coming to Sky Cinema, Entertainment and Hayu before Christmas

https://www.t3.com/news/exclusive-no...fore-christmas
Old 05-11-2018, 13:33   #4684
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Fully agree.

The media landscape will look very different to now.

I can't remember whether there was a single incident or not (I seem to recall Netflix having a spat with Disney several years ago, at the back of my mind, but I'm maybe wrong on that), but when Netflix decided to make its own shows, that totally changed everything.

All of a sudden there was a platform available globally (almost) which had a direct relationship to its customers and fully controlled its own content. No licensing deals to haggle over, no arguing over how much to pay per subscriber, it totally changed everything. No middlemen. No extra costs.

As I've said before, I hate all these separate apps. It was easy when you could switch on your stb and you could select what you wanted from the same interface and with Sky integrating Netflix into their system, that may be the case in the future too with the streamers.

Pay tv companies may integrate the streamers into their systems and offer bundles of streamers for a set price to offset the decline of channels. It may go like that, or it may not.

Well, the Disney app appears to be in the offing for the UK soon.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/11/...g-comcast.html

Media analysts say that Sky could face the loss of programmes and movies from Disney and Fox following the failure of 21st Century Fox, and its new owner Disney, to gain control of the company.

Contracts are due to be renewed by 2020, but Disney is known to be in the advanced stages of planning its own direct-to-consumer streaming and on-demand service, which could side-step the need to do a deal with Sky.

The Guardian quotes Sarah Simon of research firm Berenberg as saying that "Disney now doesn’t have any incentive to renew its programming deals with Sky unless it’s on extremely good financial terms.”

Sky has traditionally enjoyed a strong relationship with Disney, encompassing a Disney-branded movie channel and a long term carriage agreement for Disney's children's channels. However, in 2016, Disney Channel left Sky's streaming service Now TV in an early move away from providing online content through Sky in favour of building its own portfolio. Disney has also pulled content from streaming service Netflix to ensure it has full control over its content online.

However, it is also being reported that Sky has already secured longer-term movie deals with two other Hollywood studios ensuring that the company will continue to be able to provide blockbuster content in the coming years, regardless of any issues with Disney.

In a statement last month, Sky boss Jeremy Darroch revealed that the company would be buying in fewer niche movies going forward.
Old 05-11-2018, 15:19   #4685
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Right so what content we talking movies or movies and TV shows ?

If it's the latter it seems a risky manoeuvre in the UK even for someone the size of Disney.

I'd imagine Disney makes significant money by being included in pay TV platforms subscription bundles plus the money it makes from Sky Cinema you also have to factor in the licensing deals it has with numerous pay TV sand terrestrial UK broadcasters for its shows.
Old 05-11-2018, 16:44   #4686
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:

If it's the latter it seems a risky manoeuvre in the UK even for someone the size of Disney.

I'd imagine Disney makes significant money by being included in pay TV platforms subscription bundles plus the money it makes from Sky Cinema you also have to factor in the licensing deals it has with numerous pay TV sand terrestrial UK broadcasters for its shows.
I think it will be the films, but I wouldn't be surprised if they also included TV series. They could still be made available to other operators, just not on an exclusive basis.
Old 05-11-2018, 17:38   #4687
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Without exclusivity Sky will pay nowhere near what they currently do.

My point is that if Disney are going to go Direct to the Consumer is that with all it's content ie Fox , Disney Movies , Pixar , ABC TV Shows etc.

If so we could well see Disney content going from all pay TV platforms I suppose the only possibility would be a deal for the app to be included on the STB.

Movies could soon be as pricey as Sport , 3 or 4 subscriptions to see all the studios.

I know you predict this better app world but in my opinion it's going to be a costlier one.
Old 05-11-2018, 18:18   #4688
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

My point is that if Disney are going to go Direct to the Consumer is that with all it's content ie Fox , Disney Movies , Pixar , ABC TV Shows etc.

If so we could well see Disney content going from all pay TV platforms I suppose the only possibility would be a deal for the app to be included on the STB.

Movies could soon be as pricey as Sport , 3 or 4 subscriptions to see all the studios.

I know you predict this better app world but in my opinion it's going to be a costlier one.
On the other hand, if you drop the exclusivity, you get a lower price but you also have the option to make it available on more platforms. There are various ways Disney could play this, including making their streaming apps available on Sky and Virgin in place of the TV channels they are now on. It doesn't necessarily mean a higher price to be paid by the subscriber. It just means the scheduled channels depart and in their place we get a streaming service. Sky and Virgin would still have to pay Disney for the programmes, but these programmes would be made available in a different way.

It is true that Sky could demand that subscribers pay Disney directly and continue to charge the same for their channel bundles, but why would they do that? If the cost to Sky was about the same or lower, surely the Disney app would just be made part of existing channel packages. Wholesale deals like this must be good for the streamers because it guarantees a level of income, which should mean that they can reduce the price charged to Sky, Virgin and BT.
Old 05-11-2018, 22:26   #4689
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Personally, I see no reason why movies should be cheaper than sport anyway.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:30   #4690
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Well, the Disney app appears to be in the offing for the UK soon.

https://www.a516digital.com/2018/11/...g-comcast.html[/I]
Most interesting and so it begins. Expect the same from AT&T, Viacom/CBS and others at some point too.
Quote:

We spoke about this the other day and yes it is Very risky for Disney to give up on all its lucractive revenue it makes from various broadcasters. But the media cos have seen what Netflix has done, can they afford not to do the same, even if it is a major gamble?

---------- Post added at 01:19 ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 ----------

Quote:

Could be and I agree, the only bit of cash Sky might get out of Disney in the future, is if the Disney app is integrated into SkyQ. As for what will be on the Disney app, we'll have to wait and see. We don't know yet whether it will be one all inclusive app, or separate ones like they're doing in the States at the moment.

---------- Post added at 01:30 ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 ----------

Quote:
On the other hand, if you drop the exclusivity, you get a lower price but you also have the option to make it available on more platforms. There are various ways Disney could play this, including making their streaming apps available on Sky and Virgin in place of the TV channels they are now on. It doesn't necessarily mean a higher price to be paid by the subscriber. It just means the scheduled channels depart and in their place we get a streaming service. Sky and Virgin would still have to pay Disney for the programmes, but these programmes would be made available in a different way.

It is true that Sky could demand that subscribers pay Disney directly and continue to charge the same for their channel bundles, but why would they do that? If the cost to Sky was about the same or lower, surely the Disney app would just be made part of existing channel packages. Wholesale deals like this must be good for the streamers because it guarantees a level of income, which should mean that they can reduce the price charged to Sky, Virgin and BT.
Channel wise, Disney and Fox don't have that much of a presence in the UK, so the real issue here is on demand rights and specifically films.

The enlarged Disney will control a third of all Hollywood's content and if they pull their content from Sky's film channels, it threatens the future viability of these channels. If the other media cos copy Disney and do the same, that will destroy Sky's film service totally.

Last edited by Horizon; 06-11-2018 at 01:16.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:41   #4691
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

Channel wise, Disney and Fox don't have that much of a presence in the UK, so the real issue here is on demand rights and specifically films.

The enlarged Disney will control a third of all Hollywood's content and if they pull their content from Sky's film channels, it threatens the future viability of these channels. If the other media cos copy Disney and do the same, that will destroy Sky's film service totally.
If that happens, instead of Sky Cinema channels, we will get film apps from the big players on the Sky and Virgin services. I should imagine there will be both films and TV shows on these channels.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:37   #4692
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
The Guardian has learned that Sky has recently struck wide-ranging content deals with two of the other major Hollywood studios. Sources say these deals were extensions of existing agreements and struck well ahead of expiry, suggesting Sky is keen to lock-in prime content early ahead of what will be tough negotiations with Disney.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...s-the-ftse-100
Old 06-11-2018, 11:49   #4693
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Sky's future is secure. It's parent has several decades worth of content and rights to tons of stuff. The question is, what that future will be.

Personally, as a traditional pay tv platform, I think that will start to come to end now, especially if Disney pull their content. Whether Comcast, America's largest cable co, decides to invest in UK fibre broadband, remains to be see. Openreach is now "separate" from BT and the poles and ducts are meant to be open to anyone, a potentially very attractive proposition for Comcast. They could "cable" up the UK's cities and largest towns very quickly, if they so choose to do so.

Going by the Comcast/Sky webcast the other week though, I think the direction is clear. Comcast will use Sky/Now Tv and turn that into a global streaming service. So, the days of being able to watch all the new Hollywood films from one service is probably coming to a end, but we'll see. It's a high stakes gamble and if it goes wrong, it will kill off the "old" Hollywood media companies.

Old boy, I don't see there being several specific film apps into the long term. Either these companies "do" streaming properly in the end, with a Netflix like service, or they don't.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:42   #4694
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Sky's future is secure. It's parent has several decades worth of content and rights to tons of stuff. The question is, what that future will be.

Personally, as a traditional pay tv platform, I think that will start to come to end now, especially if Disney pull their content. Whether Comcast, America's largest cable co, decides to invest in UK fibre broadband, remains to be see. Openreach is now "separate" from BT and the poles and ducts are meant to be open to anyone, a potentially very attractive proposition for Comcast. They could "cable" up the UK's cities and largest towns very quickly, if they so choose to do so.

Going by the Comcast/Sky webcast the other week though, I think the direction is clear. Comcast will use Sky/Now Tv and turn that into a global streaming service. So, the days of being able to watch all the new Hollywood films from one service is probably coming to a end, but we'll see. It's a high stakes gamble and if it goes wrong, it will kill off the "old" Hollywood media companies.

Old boy, I don't see there being several specific film apps into the long term. Either these companies "do" streaming properly in the end, with a Netflix like service, or they don't.
I think that there is still an attraction for the film studios to let one or two streaming services deal with making their material available to the public, and Netflix and Amazon are the obvious choices for that. However, some of the film studios clearly do want to go it alone and others may follow if the Disney experience proves to be successful.

Either way, Sky, Virgin and BT almost certainly will be showing films via streaming services rather than Sky-owned channels in the foreseeable future. Once Disney does it in the UK, big changes will be made across the board, I think.
Old 06-11-2018, 13:19   #4695
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Crickey OB no wonder Denphone pulls you up so much your views change more than that of a politician.

The link above confirms Sky has just extended its deals with 2 other studios and Universal are owned by Comcast so I'd expect Sky Cinema to stay even if it loses Disney/Fox content in 2020.

The studios going alone eventually will see content removed from Netflix and Amazon.

Last edited by muppetman11; 06-11-2018 at 13:23.
Closed Thread