Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 16-10-2014, 13:02   #856
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Basing this on USA price it is $9.99p/m i believe in USA if they keep that same price structure when launched in uk it would be about £6.20.
The other option could be they launch a HBOGO service similar to HBOnordic which offers content from other providers too.
I think quite a few people will take the sub tbh, but i think Sky will probably get something like HBOGO included in a sub too.
Most providers are charging $17.99 -$19.99 for HBO , HBO On Demand and HBOGO. I'd be amazed if the UK gets a version whilst the Sky deal is in place but that's just my opinion.
Advertisement
Old 16-10-2014, 13:18   #857
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Most providers are charging $17.99 -$19.99 for HBO , HBO On Demand and HBOGO. I'd be amazed if the UK gets a version whilst the Sky deal is in place but that's just my opinion.
I'm still optimistic about that, but given the Sky exclusivity deal with HBO, the first run shows will have to be aired on Sky Atlantic first. The shows are likely then to be accessible on a PPV basis (as they are currently via Amazon Prime) for the following two years and after that could be part of an HBO subscription.

I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work and I would be happy to take an HBO streaming service on that basis via the TIVO.

I can wait to watch material under a subscription three years after becoming available as a new series on Sky Atlantic. After all, I'm a year behind watching my recordings!
Old 16-10-2014, 13:20   #858
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
You are correct i've not long got of phone to my friend in the states and she has confirmed that she is only paying $9.99p/m as she is on a special offer for having showtime otherwise it'd be $19.99p/m which is crazy as it's $19.99p/m for both showtime and hbo anyway lol.
Old 16-10-2014, 13:29   #859
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:

Half baked or not Now TV still offers premium HBO content along with content from many other studios and for the price of £6.99 how much would you expect a HBO standalone offering to be ?
But for anyone who is only interested in Premium US cable content from the likes of HBO, Starz and Showtime etc., Now TV is very poor compared to HBO Nordic, which is only £1.40 p/m more.
Old 16-10-2014, 13:34   #860
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I decided against getting Now TV when they pulled all the previous series of Game of Thrones when the new one started airing.

The programming available via streaming needs to be reliable - I don't want to start watching a series only to find it pulled, and I don't want to be locked in to a pre-set restricted period to view it either.

I much prefer the Netflix model. Watched Breaking Bad over a period of about three months and still haven't completed the first series of Orange is the New Black. I'm not happy at all with watching programmes back to back although I know some enjoy doing so.
Old 16-10-2014, 13:35   #861
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
But for anyone who is only interested in Premium US cable content from the likes of HBO, Starz and Showtime etc., Now TV is very poor compared to HBO Nordic, which is only £1.40 p/m more.
Spot on mate, i think this is how HBO will launch HBOGO globally by doing a similar service to HBOnordic.
Old 16-10-2014, 13:37   #862
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Spot on mate, i think this is how HBO will launch HBOGO globally by doing a similar service to HBOnordic.
Sounds good. Let's hope it comes to TIVO sooner rather than later!
Old 16-10-2014, 13:45   #863
passingbat
Inactive

passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I decided against getting Now TV when they pulled all the previous series of Game of Thrones when the new one started airing.

The programming available via streaming needs to be reliable - I don't want to start watching a series only to find it pulled, and I don't want to be locked in to a pre-set restricted period to view it either.

This is where a proper HBO service would be different (based on how they operate in the Nordic region); all back seasons are always available and new episodes are available the day after they aired in the states.

It is such a shame that Sky have the rights tied up for such a long period, as in my view, it will prevent a proper HBO service launching in the UK for a long time.
Old 16-10-2014, 13:49   #864
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
And how many in the UK actually know anything about HBO Nordic ? Very few I'd say.
Old 16-10-2014, 13:54   #865
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
This is where a proper HBO service would be different (based on how they operate in the Nordic region); all back seasons are always available and new episodes are available the day after they aired in the states.

It is such a shame that Sky have the rights tied up for such a long period, as in my view, it will prevent a proper HBO service launching in the UK for a long time.
I totally agree with the arrangement in your first paragraph.

As far as Sky rights are concerned, my understanding is that the exclusivity only relates to first run shows. This means that once the new series has been shown, they would be available to other platforms.
Old 16-10-2014, 14:24   #866
passingbat
Inactive

Quote:
And how many in the UK actually know anything about HBO Nordic ? Very few I'd say.
I was purely comparing the services. The UK needs an HBO service such as HBO Nordic as it is clearly better than Now TV for premium cable content. I fear that Sky's long term deal with HBO will prevent that and leave us with the inferior Now TV version for a long time. I sincerely hope that I am wrong on this.

---------- Post added at 14:24 ---------- Previous post was at 14:00 ----------

Quote:
It would make sense to do it that way and I hope you are right.
Old 16-10-2014, 18:03   #867
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

What's the whole spotify offer? It appears in "offers" but offers me the opportunity to link my account to spotify (what is the point?) and states there are no deals currently. I don't even see why vm were advertising spotify?
Old 16-10-2014, 18:12   #868
steveh
Inactive

steveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of lightsteveh is a glorious beacon of light

If you were HBO, would you prefer a) guaranteed income over 7 years from a single company who handle everything for you in a particular territory and are paying a premium for exclusivity or b) implementing IPTV technology, billing systems, customer support, marketing and everything else needed to go it alone?

Maybe also worth pointing out that HBO Nordic is in partnership with and delivered by a local company with extensive pay TV experience in that market.
Old 16-10-2014, 19:32   #869
devilincarnate
Still REIGNING

devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star
devilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny stardevilincarnate has a nice shiny star

CBS are doing the same?

http://crackberry.com/cbs-launches-a...out-need-cable
Old 16-10-2014, 20:29   #870
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilincarnate View Post
Nice find just had a peek and it will cost $5.99p/m i think more networks will follow suite and i can see companies such as uktv in the uk starting similar services in the future too.
Closed Thread