Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 14:57   #8341
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Could be Ben the £2 price rise is to cover Star but as far as we're aware Star will be a seperate service.
I interpret it as a price rise and it will be another "tile" alongside other "tiles" like National Geographic.
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2020, 17:35   #8342
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I interpret it as a price rise and it will be another "tile" alongside other "tiles" like National Geographic.
I'm keeping a close eye on developments ofcourse i'll keep everyone updated best i can.
Old 13-12-2020, 11:38   #8343
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

US consumers paying the price for streaming
Quote:
Consumers have complained bitterly over the years about traditional “bundled” cable and satellite packages, where they paid a monthly subscription for 100s of channels when they only ever watched a handful. Now many would welcome a return to that aggregation to find all of the content they want to watch in one place at a single price. Direct-to-consumer is the name of the current internet game and that can mean cutting out the middle man of traditional broadcaster or cable operator.

...However, catalogues such as Amazon’s and Hulu’s are shrinking as studios hold back content for their own streaming services, forcing viewers into paying for multiple subscriptions to access all the TV and movies they want.

There is much more that’s watchable in the post-57 channel age, but as Ampere concludes: “The golden age of cheap access to content is coming to a close.”
https://www.ft.com/content/079b8766-...c-4f333e95776c
Old 14-12-2020, 10:24   #8344
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/artic...-for-christmas

Sky & Amazon have signed a deal... going to be interesting to see how this affects the next PL auction and how aggressive (or not) the relevant parties will be...
Old 14-12-2020, 10:53   #8345
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post

Sky & Amazon have signed a deal... going to be interesting to see how this affects the next PL auction and how aggressive (or not) the relevant parties will be...
Don't see it impacting on the next PL auction and a sensible move for Sky given the profusion of Smart TVs; it keeps their customers in the Sky system. Amazon could have gone in big on sports rights before but they've decided not to and this is a global approach. Get people signed up to their Prime Service is the key aim with some sports rights and make money on such people using Amazon as their preferred online shopping site.
Old 14-12-2020, 11:52   #8346
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post

Great news noticed the app earlier on my box.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

I notice you can also watch your previous purchases and buy/rent new movies in the Amazon app which I never thought Sky would agree to.
Old 14-12-2020, 11:58   #8347
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Great news noticed the app earlier on my box.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 ----------

I notice you can also watch your previous purchases and buy/rent new movies in the Amazon app which I never thought Sky would agree to.
Reports some time back indicated that was a major stumbling block - they weren’t happy about the transactional content and the Prime channels. However Amazon didn’t want to give Sky integrated search and homepage access which will also be available in the coming months so clearly both sides were ultimately happy to get over that and also get Now TV onto Fire.
Old 14-12-2020, 12:42   #8348
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Just as an aside, I was flicking through the Tesco magazine and they had an ad for Technika Smart TV with Fire TV built-in. Don't recall seeing Fire OS in a 3rd Party -branded device before.
Old 14-12-2020, 16:30   #8349
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Just as an aside, I was flicking through the Tesco magazine and they had an ad for Technika Smart TV with Fire TV built-in. Don't recall seeing Fire OS in a 3rd Party -branded device before.
Been on tvs in USA for awhile now, prob are some in uk too https://www.androidcentral.com/best-...0u21-4k-uhd-tv
Old 14-12-2020, 18:35   #8350
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

JVC sell some TV's with Fire OS on them in this country.

Also the Now TV app on my 4k Firestick doesn't framerate switch so unless you want to manually switch the video output of the stick to 50hz be prepared for jerky sports on it.
Old 14-12-2020, 18:42   #8351
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Been on tvs in USA for awhile now, prob are some in uk too https://www.androidcentral.com/best-...0u21-4k-uhd-tv
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
JVC sell some TV's with Fire OS on them in this country.

Also the Now TV app on my 4k Firestick doesn't framerate switch so unless you want to manually switch the video output of the stick to 50hz be prepared for jerky sports on it.
Thanks for replies.
Old 14-12-2020, 21:31   #8352
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Don't see it impacting on the next PL auction and a sensible move for Sky given the profusion of Smart TVs; it keeps their customers in the Sky system. Amazon could have gone in big on sports rights before but they've decided not to and this is a global approach. Get people signed up to their Prime Service is the key aim with some sports rights and make money on such people using Amazon as their preferred online shopping site.
I'm not sure why you say that, the article I read in the telegraph stated prime app would be on skyQ in time to watch amazons 20 EPL matches (they start tomorrow) and it is.

It also said sky/Amazon had come to an agreement over future EPL rights and the income from UK rights was likely to fall (already sky/BT have an agreement)

So it wouldn't surprise me at all.
Old 15-12-2020, 13:44   #8353
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Anyone know how to get rid of the spinning Netflix loading ball?

On several films or TV programs I find I then click on them and they just have the loading ball going round and round and it never plays.

Old 15-12-2020, 13:51   #8354
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I've not seen that behaviour in the circumstances you seem to be having (am I right in understanding that it always prevents you watching certain titles, while always allowing others?)

The loading ball may hang on 25% for a while if you have low bandwidth. It will hang on 24% if you have no bandwidth at all. If your internet connection speed is unstable, you may see this behaviour if you have a moment of poor speed coinciding with you starting a new programme. Netflix's bandwidth-adaptive tech is second to none so it is quite rare even on a poor connection for a programme to stall once it's going and has a reasonable buffer.

Have you tried going into your Netflix app's settings and running its internal speed/connectivity test?
Old 15-12-2020, 13:56   #8355
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Thanks Chris.
I'l take a look tonight and do a speed test. It does indeed only happen on certain programs.
A reboot of my AppleTV sometimes sort sit out, but not always.

Closed Thread