Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 22:16   #8206
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I’m not trying to imply anything - i’m stating you initially said that cablecos were set to move on from the traditional scheduled TV, and now you’re saying that scheduled TV could be delivered over IPTV.
Only live streaming services. Not pre-recorded programmes, which represent the vast majority of TV programmes.

I've always acknowledged the need for live TV for sport, live shows, etc. But my point is that live TV will be streamed, and pre-recorded material will be via VOD.

I really don't see why you are confused over this.
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2020, 22:21   #8207
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Only live streaming services. Not pre-recorded programmes, which represent the vast majority of TV programmes.

I've always acknowledged the need for live TV for sport, live shows, etc. But my point is that live TV will be streamed, and pre-recorded material will be via VOD.

I really don't see why you are confused over this.
Your misuse of the word ‘linear’ perhaps?
Old 11-11-2020, 22:25   #8208
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Your misuse of the word ‘linear’ perhaps?
Old 11-11-2020, 22:59   #8209
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Taken from a recent OFCOM report:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse.../km_report.pdf

Quote:
Understanding viewing behaviours and motivations

Linear TV valued for in-the-moment viewing across all age groups

The vast majority of participants favoured linear viewing of ‘event TV’ content, to avoid spoilers and be part of the conversation surrounding the broadcast. In particular, they strongly preferred linear viewing of live sports events and, to a lesser extent, drama series and soaps. Linear viewing was also valued by most participants for offering a familiar, effortless and often more passive viewing experience with scheduled content served to them. However, several participants identified more negative aspects of linear viewing, such as the irritation of adverts and repeats, and the lack of personalisation when compared to on-demand services.
Note that nowhere does it define linear television by technology used to deliver it.
Old 11-11-2020, 23:25   #8210
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Taken from a recent OFCOM report:

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/asse.../km_report.pdf

Note that nowhere does it define linear television by technology used to deliver it.
So what? Ofcom will use the correct terminology of course, but the media was not back in 2014/15.
Old 11-11-2020, 23:42   #8211
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
So what? Ofcom will use the correct terminology of course, but the media was not back in 2014/15.
So what?

I think details are important Old Boy. That’s what.

I’ve now spent part of the last day and a half reading your posts and getting contradicted by Chris, Hugh and others and it still isn’t obvious to me your position on technology agnostic linear television - in line with the OFCOM definition above - where someone could click a button on an app, or go to a number on an EPG, and watch endless content as scheduled by a broadcaster. This content would be in no way tailored to them - an almost unlimited number of people could go to the same channel/app and watch the same scheduled programming at the exact same time.

So please clarify will this exist in your vision of 20x5? This could be delivered by absolutely anyone - Netflix, Sky, Amazon, BBC, ITV, etc.

Last edited by jfman; 11-11-2020 at 23:45.
Old 12-11-2020, 00:08   #8212
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Linear means what Old Boy wants it to mean at the time - Schrödinger‘s linear (the outcome will depend on the observer)...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:37   #8213
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So what?

I think details are important Old Boy. That’s what.

I’ve now spent part of the last day and a half reading your posts and getting contradicted by Chris, Hugh and others and it still isn’t obvious to me your position on technology agnostic linear television - in line with the OFCOM definition above - where someone could click a button on an app, or go to a number on an EPG, and watch endless content as scheduled by a broadcaster. This content would be in no way tailored to them - an almost unlimited number of people could go to the same channel/app and watch the same scheduled programming at the exact same time.

So please clarify will this exist in your vision of 20x5? This could be delivered by absolutely anyone - Netflix, Sky, Amazon, BBC, ITV, etc.
You are missing the point. You keep asking the same questions and making the same points and not listening to the answers. I agree that the word 'linear' was not an appropriate word to use because streaming is also linear. It was a shorthand for our conventional TV channels used by the media. In their minds, it was the difference between those channels and on demand, which is not linear.

So, in the future, in my view, the choice will be mainly between a huge selection of videos which you can select as required, and streaming for live TV. There may well be some streamers, like Pluto and Now TV, that also offer channels as they do now, but this type of viewing will not appeal to the majority and will not capture a mass audience. Our main TV channels like BBC and ITV will present their offerings in much the same way as Britbox does, but I don't think that the i-Player will break up their offerings by channel, but by category. Live TV will be accessible through streams available on the OTT application itself, and this will be the linear option.

I have said all this before, but if something is confusing you, tell me what it is and I'll answer it.
Old 12-11-2020, 07:44   #8214
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

In the future you have just sketched out, where broadcasters are still interested in delivering a linear broadcast schedule, then no matter how shiny their iPlayer is they will still operate over conventional broadcast technologies like digital terrestrial and satellite. They will do this because it costs a small fraction of what it costs to broadcast over the internet, because it is easier to deliver at high quality to 100% of consumers 100% of the time, and because, unless the terms of their public service obligation change radically in the meantime, they are obliged to be available on those platforms (for the reasons above, because universal availability is one of the key considerations in British public service broadcasting).
Old 12-11-2020, 08:59   #8215
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
In the future you have just sketched out, where broadcasters are still interested in delivering a linear broadcast schedule, then no matter how shiny their iPlayer is they will still operate over conventional broadcast technologies like digital terrestrial and satellite. They will do this because it costs a small fraction of what it costs to broadcast over the internet, because it is easier to deliver at high quality to 100% of consumers 100% of the time, and because, unless the terms of their public service obligation change radically in the meantime, they are obliged to be available on those platforms (for the reasons above, because universal availability is one of the key considerations in British public service broadcasting).
Agreed. Which is why one of the pillars of Old Boy's argument - namely that the UK follows the US - is flawed. It does not take account of the two distinct regulatory environments each country's broadcasters operate under. We might have a lot of the same big players in the market like Comcast and Disney and the same technology. But drill down to the regulations, and we're two different beasts.
Old 12-11-2020, 11:27   #8216
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
You are missing the point. You keep asking the same questions and making the same points and not listening to the answers. I agree that the word 'linear' was not an appropriate word to use because streaming is also linear. It was a shorthand for our conventional TV channels used by the media. In their minds, it was the difference between those channels and on demand, which is not linear.

So, in the future, in my view, the choice will be mainly between a huge selection of videos which you can select as required, and streaming for live TV. There may well be some streamers, like Pluto and Now TV, that also offer channels as they do now, but this type of viewing will not appeal to the majority and will not capture a mass audience. Our main TV channels like BBC and ITV will present their offerings in much the same way as Britbox does, but I don't think that the i-Player will break up their offerings by channel, but by category. Live TV will be accessible through streams available on the OTT application itself, and this will be the linear option.

I have said all this before, but if something is confusing you, tell me what it is and I'll answer it.
I’m unsure of the value in asking you further questions as you’ve not answered the last one.

Quote:

I’ve put in bold the key part. The stream broadcasts continuously to a schedule, decided by the broadcaster, 24 hours per day. Everyone watching it at the exact same time sees the exact same thing

Will this exist - yes or no?
Old 12-11-2020, 12:49   #8217
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

These two (Old Boy & jfman) remind me of Trump & Biden...
Old 12-11-2020, 12:52   #8218
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnasimmons View Post
These two (Old Boy & jfman) remind me of Trump & Biden...
Reminds me of Sir Keir trying to pin BoJo down "Will this exist - yes or no?"
Old 12-11-2020, 12:58   #8219
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Reminds me of Sir Keir trying to pin BoJo down "Will this exist - yes or no?"
Bojo is a apt nickname as he is the biggest clown in politics!!!!
Old 12-11-2020, 23:23   #8220
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

A quick update that Disney + now has 73.7m subscribers, nearly a year after it launched. https://www.ft.com/content/41432a1c-...e-265efc868f09
Closed Thread