Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 21-10-2020, 11:57   #10111
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

They did offer games at £8 each, but I have no idea how utilised this option was. The £50 - or £25 at Christmas - presented better value.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-10-2020, 12:51   #10112
nialli
cf.geek

Services: Sky Stream, Sky broadband
nialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quadsnialli has a fine set of Quads

It could be the first move towards club-based season tickets, which I'd be interested in if it was reasonably priced. On Sky and BT I tend to watch the Sunday afternoon PL 4.30 kick off whoever's playing as it's normally a weekend's biggest match but otherwise I only watch my team and catch up with other matches on MOTD.
nialli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 13:39   #10113
TonyM85
cf.member

TonyM85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looking at guides for football games on TV this week I see there is a load of Europa League games under 'BT Sport Digital Exclusive'. I assume it's through their website / app and there will be no option for Virgin viewers to watch?
TonyM85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 14:34   #10114
johnasimmons
cf.mega poster

Services: 500mb, Full House (with Sky Sports & Movies, BT Sports and ViaPlay), 1 TiVo, 1 V6, iPhone 14 Pro Max
johnasimmons has reached the bronze age
johnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze agejohnasimmons has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM85 View Post
Looking at guides for football games on TV this week I see there is a load of Europa League games under 'BT Sport Digital Exclusive'. I assume it's through their website / app and there will be no option for Virgin viewers to watch?
I think its another way of saying 'red button'
johnasimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 16:20   #10115
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

https://www.live-footballontv.com/

All the BT Extra games are on the Red Button on BT, Virgin and Sky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM85 View Post
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 17:38   #10116
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
it was at the time!

"After six seasons on air it closed down at the end of the 2006–07 season, when EU competition laws forced Sky to break its monopoly on the Premier League, having broadcast 270 matches live and exclusive from the Premier League"

I'm fairly sure it was ofcom which did this? So it went from 50 quid a season to an extra 20 quid a month for all the games!
Yes it was £50pa if you paid up front before start of season. I'm not sure where your £20pm comes from unless that was the monthly charge at the time for those who didn't want to commit up front.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 23:41   #10117
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Yes it was £50pa if you paid up front before start of season. I'm not sure where your £20pm comes from unless that was the monthly charge at the time for those who didn't want to commit up front.
I think he’s approximating the cost of BT Sport where the non-Sky Sports games ended up. Of course it’s “free” to whatever they call TV XL these days, but for BT, Sky and Virgin customers below this tier there is additional cost.
Old 22-10-2020, 19:58   #10118
reddog
cf.member

reddog is an unknown quantity at this point

Any sign of Boxnation be added to TV GO?

---------- Post added at 18:58 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Being?
reddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 14:49   #10119
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

I see the Sky Liverpool v Sheffield Utd PPV game is being replayed in full overnight, it's a disgrace BT cannot do similar or even put a highlights package on of their PPV games.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 20:55   #10120
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

While I understand the concerns people have expressed that PPV may replace subscription TV, I do think this has been over-hyped. The matches that are PPV would not have been accessed at all without it, so there is no problem there. If you don’t want to watch PPV matches, then simply don’t watch them. This is a temporary, not a permanent arrangement.

I can’t see Sky and BT replacing PPV to replace their subscription packages. The increased cost will simply mean that they get fewer participants. PPV only works where individuals want a one-off experience. It does not work for a whole season of football.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 21:21   #10121
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
While I understand the concerns people have expressed that PPV may replace subscription TV, I do think this has been over-hyped. The matches that are PPV would not have been accessed at all without it, so there is no problem there. If you don’t want to watch PPV matches, then simply don’t watch them. This is a temporary, not a permanent arrangement.

I can’t see Sky and BT replacing PPV to replace their subscription packages. The increased cost will simply mean that they get fewer participants. PPV only works where individuals want a one-off experience. It does not work for a whole season of football.
As a non-football fan by your own admission I'm uncertain if you are the right person to opine on this as someone completely unaffected both in the short and long term of PPV football.

Sky and BT don't need to replace their subscription models with this - the Premier League could do this for them. While nobody expects a 'whole season' to end up being £15 a go, because that's simply ridiculous, but it only takes a handful of key games - the must see games - to make the situation for the end users - the actual football fans.

Boxing PPV started out around one per year then suddenly accelerated as providers realised this was a way to gouge fans of more money for the more attractive bouts. Now we have six in the space of two months totalling £110.

Beware the unanticipated outcomes of 'extra games' being make available in the innocuous manner that you describe.
Old 24-10-2020, 21:29   #10122
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

I hope you're right because I wouldn't like a situation where you have to pay a single fee for each Premier league games or the best games were on ppv. I like to watch as many games as I can regardless of who's playing. Would of liked to of watched the Liverpool v Sheffield United match but not paying £14.95 Will instead record the re run later on Main Event
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 22:14   #10123
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
As a non-football fan by your own admission I'm uncertain if you are the right person to opine on this as someone completely unaffected both in the short and long term of PPV football.

Sky and BT don't need to replace their subscription models with this - the Premier League could do this for them. While nobody expects a 'whole season' to end up being £15 a go, because that's simply ridiculous, but it only takes a handful of key games - the must see games - to make the situation for the end users - the actual football fans.

Boxing PPV started out around one per year then suddenly accelerated as providers realised this was a way to gouge fans of more money for the more attractive bouts. Now we have six in the space of two months totalling £110.

Beware the unanticipated outcomes of 'extra games' being make available in the innocuous manner that you describe.

Totally agree with the above, it's the thin edge of the wedge imo.
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 08:22   #10124
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The actual football fan is getting a discount - £15 for a match they would have paid £40+ to go and see if the stadium was open.

The only people complaining are those who were never going to see the game in the first place - and now have a chance to at £15.

The real "bad guys" in this are those on the field taking massive wages for little more than three hours work a week - on a busy week.

Maybe it is them that should be giving something back to the fans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
While nobody expects a 'whole season' to end up being £15 a go, because that's simply ridiculous, but it only takes a handful of key games - the must see games - to make the situation for the end users - the actual football fans.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2020, 09:46   #10125
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
The actual football fan is getting a discount - £15 for a match they would have paid £40+ to go and see if the stadium was open.

The only people complaining are those who were never going to see the game in the first place - and now have a chance to at £15.

The real "bad guys" in this are those on the field taking massive wages for little more than three hours work a week - on a busy week.

Maybe it is them that should be giving something back to the fans?
Ah the old ‘actual fans go to games’ chestnut. I think you’ll find with TV revenue dwarfing ticket revenue (sometimes even including the prawn sandwich brigade up in hospitality) that TV viewers bring more to the table financially.

I’m all for a tax system that makes the super wealthy pay more but I fail to see why footballers get singled out over TV/movie stars, bankers and FTSE 100 CEOs.