Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 13-02-2014, 20:52   #4306
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
Good! How about they get rid of Owen altogether.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2014, 06:03   #4307
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

I must admit I'm a secret Michael Owen fan. I think he was a genuine World class player who's played at three of the world's most famous clubs and at international level, is almost uniquely placed to offer insight and actually isn't frightened to say what he thinks. But he does sound boring. A lot of people I know don't watch BT Sport because of him. I think he's potentially a bar to future growth and, since they've shown that they're prepared to make tough decisions with the reaction to the failed Halsey experiment, I've come round to the argument that they need to get rid of Owen (Michael and Hargreaves) now.
Old 14-02-2014, 12:20   #4308
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...lub-rugby.html

'BSkyB and BT, the UK’s two warring media giants, were on Thursday night in advanced negotiations over an extraordinary deal to share the television rights for European club rugby and remove the biggest hurdle to a successor for the Heineken Cup.'

I speculated a few weeks back that BT and Sky would have to get together eventually because the cost of battling it out for football rights would ultimately become prohibitive.

To my mind, this is the first sign that these two bitter rivals are coming to terms with the need to bite the bullet.

A small start, but I think this will pave the way for the future.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 12:43   #4309
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

'BSkyB and BT, the UK’s two warring media giants, were on Thursday night in advanced negotiations over an extraordinary deal to share the television rights for European club rugby and remove the biggest hurdle to a successor for the Heineken Cup.'

I speculated a few weeks back that BT and Sky would have to get together eventually because the cost of battling it out for football rights would ultimately become prohibitive.

To my mind, this is the first sign that these two bitter rivals are coming to terms with the need to bite the bullet.

So when is Atlantic coming OB??
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 12:47   #4310
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
When Aliens invade earth.
Old 14-02-2014, 12:55   #4311
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Ha, ha!

I've not heard anything new other than the rumour that VM may be looking at a deal with HBO for an on demand service. Whether that means that VM has found another (cheaper) way of giving us the HBO shows and is once again playing hardball with Sky, I don't know.

I did speculate that Sky Atlantic would be with us by now, and it seemed to be a reasonable suggestion at the time with the reports that I had read. However, the best laid plans can go awry and things are moving at such a pace that of course alternative solutions can become available over time.

Personally, I don't care whether I get Sky Atlantic or HBO On Demand, as long as the latter is subscription based and not PPV. One way or another, I am personally convinced that a solution will be available to us soon. But don't tell Justabloke as he will turn this point of view, which is what it is, into a firm prediction....

Getting back on topic, I do think that Sky's predominance over our broadcasting industry is now set to wane, and they will be forced into compromises which will ultimately lower prices. The fact that they are even contemplating a deal with BT is quite a transformation in their attitude in a surprisingly short time.
Old 14-02-2014, 13:21   #4312
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

That remains to be seen l think personally as although there are negotiations over the Heineken Cup they will not sit at the same table as they are using a go between and l cannot see this spreading to any type of deal over the Premier League at all.
Old 14-02-2014, 13:25   #4313
harry_hitch
Heavens to Betsy, Bertie!

Services: TIVO, M TV, L BB, M Phone
harry_hitch has reached the bronze age
harry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze ageharry_hitch has reached the bronze age

Quote:

I (personally) won't get too excited about any possible future deals. A brief look at the articles states that this is a one-off situation for one tournament. I can not see Sky reaching terms with BT to share any other sports, equally I can not see BT sharing their Premiership Rugby rights.

BTW, I noticed a pop up on TV Anywhere earlier stating BT Sports is free for a day tomorrow (15/2). Forgot to take a picture, sorry.
harry_hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 13:27   #4314
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Yes, this is just a one-off deal. The point I'm making is that it shows that two bitter rivals can come to an arrangement when it suits them.

As for Premiership sports, I just think there is a financial ceiling beyond which prices cannot go without driving viewers away. That means something has to give. Eventually.
Old 14-02-2014, 13:45   #4315
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Ha, ha!

I've not heard anything new other than the rumour that VM may be looking at a deal with HBO for an on demand service. Whether that means that VM has found another (cheaper) way of giving us the HBO shows and is once again playing hardball with Sky, I don't know.

I did speculate that Sky Atlantic would be with us by now, and it seemed to be a reasonable suggestion at the time with the reports that I had read. However, the best laid plans can go awry and things are moving at such a pace that of course alternative solutions can become available over time.

Personally, I don't care whether I get Sky Atlantic or HBO On Demand, as long as the latter is subscription based and not PPV. One way or another, I am personally convinced that a solution will be available to us soon. But don't tell Justabloke as he will turn this point of view, which is what it is, into a firm prediction....

Getting back on topic, I do think that Sky's predominance over our broadcasting industry is now set to wane, and they will be forced into compromises which will ultimately lower prices. The fact that they are even contemplating a deal with BT is quite a transformation in their attitude in a surprisingly short time.
Why don't you try emailing HBO and asking how you can watch HBO subscription On Demand content in the UK , they'll tell you via Now TV or Sky TV. This is just another pipe dream granted you didn't start it. Sky has paid £275 million for HBO content as opposed to £150 million in 2010 do you really believe they'd pay all that if other broadcasters could also offer the subscription On Demand service ?

Who says Sky are the ones making all the compromises , last time I looked the BT Youview service didn't contain one Sky entertainment channel which according to BARB are some of the best viewed Entertainment pay TV channels nor did it carry any Sky Sports programming.

A wholesale deal and a better working relationship is mutually beneficial to both and will happen at some point in my opinion.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 19:07   #4316
andy_m
cf.mega poster

Services: VIP
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array
andy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze arrayandy_m has a bronze array

Ahem, told you so!
Old 14-02-2014, 19:29   #4317
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
UK pay-television broadcaster BSkyB has snatched the rights to cricket’s Indian Premier League, TV Sports Markets understands, beating off competition from rival pay-television operator BT and commercial broadcaster ITV, the UK rights-holder for the last four seasons.
http://www.sportbusiness.com/tv-spor...cricket-rights
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 19:34   #4318
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Th
Quote:

This is nothing to do with cost and the two broadcasters have not got together. It's because Sky has a deal to show the Heineken League and BT has a deal to show a new, unnamed alternative European tournament. Because the two opposing tournaments have joined together to become one they are left with two broadcast partners, hence a need to resolve the situation.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 18:26   #4319
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

BT need to stop standing outside the grounds.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 19:16   #4320
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenry View Post
BT need to stop standing outside the grounds.
Yes it looks stupid and amateurish.