Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Mod tests.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Mod tests.

Old 18-08-2019, 14:04   #16
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Mod tests.

The PSBs would just fill the space with +1s/other channels of negligible value for a platform and an audience in terminal decline anyway.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2019, 16:52   #17
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

They wouldn't be able to. The capacity for Freeview (the most popular platform in the UK) is gradually being reduced. Any space saved would be used to offset this and for the channels that can afford it, to keep those displaced by the closure of other muxes.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 17:20   #18
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

It’s only the “most popular” platform because it’s the default. The vast majority of people consume television in other ways and this will continue to rise. The need to maintain freeview at the current level diminishes.
Old 18-08-2019, 20:30   #19
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I believe that Freeview is the only platform that's currently growing. Many of those who have pay TV use it in secondary rooms such as a bedroom or the dining room.

The fact that it's the default is neither here nor there.
Old 18-08-2019, 23:18   #20
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I believe that Freeview is the only platform that's currently growing. Many of those who have pay TV use it in secondary rooms such as a bedroom or the dining room.

The fact that it's the default is neither here nor there.
You can hardly say “it’s neither here nor there” - every home built is by default a new freeview home. While I’m at risk of sounding like Old Boy here the streamers (Amazon and Netflix) are growing rapidly. Now TV is thought to be growing but Sky don’t split the figures.
Old 18-08-2019, 23:45   #21
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You can hardly say “it’s neither here nor there” - every home built is by default a new freeview home. While I’m at risk of sounding like Old Boy here the streamers (Amazon and Netflix) are growing rapidly. Now TV is thought to be growing but Sky don’t split the figures.
Some homes cannot get Freeview (which is the primary reason why Freesat exists); of those that can, the number of DTT only households is growing and earlier this year stood at 11.63 million households. There will be many more Freeview sets in use in secondary rooms where the householder has pay TV.
Old 19-08-2019, 09:17   #22
jfman
Architect of Ideas

That BARB stat you are quoting doesn't reference streaming. So homes with Netflix or Prime (or both) but no cable, satellite or IPTV service count towards the DTT only total.

Secondary TVs yes, it'll get used but there's no demand to improve the system on this basis with the increasing number of web connected TVs.

Last edited by jfman; 19-08-2019 at 09:33.
Old 19-08-2019, 10:14   #23
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That BARB stat you are quoting doesn't reference streaming. So homes with Netflix or Prime (or both) but no cable, satellite or IPTV service count towards the DTT only total.

Secondary TVs yes, it'll get used but there's no demand to improve the system on this basis with the increasing number of web connected TVs.
I'm surprised they are bundled in with DTT.

I do wonder whether Freeview Play will be modified to add the equivalent of the free part of TVPlayer in the future. To provide the full versions of the channels that only have limited time slots, or provide the HD versions, or simply the channels they don't get as they are in a limited coverage area e.g. a Relay transmitter area.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2019, 11:29   #24
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post

I do wonder whether Freeview Play will be modified to add the equivalent of the free part of TVPlayer in the future. To provide the full versions of the channels that only have limited time slots, or provide the HD versions, or simply the channels they don't get as they are in a limited coverage area e.g. a Relay transmitter area.
Streaming services aren't considered platforms in the most recent stats I've seen but I'm sure that will change because the BARB are ultimately more interested in actual consumption.
Old 20-08-2019, 12:13   #25
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:

I don't think that TV Player is doing very well at the moment. Some channels have been removed and some previously free channels have now been moved into the paid premium version.
Old 20-08-2019, 13:19   #26
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I don't think that TV Player is doing very well at the moment. Some channels have been removed and some previously free channels have now been moved into the paid premium version.
I know. I'm just wondering if an official version run as part of the Freeview Platform itself, like Play is, might be an idea. It would only carry free services that are already available on the platform, and would just fill in gaps for those that don't get the full selection in their DTT transmitter area. Many places that have poor Freeview selection have good broadband.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 13:51   #27
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I know. I'm just wondering if an official version run as part of the Freeview Platform itself, like Play is, might be an idea. It would only carry free services that are already available on the platform, and would just fill in gaps for those that don't get the full selection in their DTT transmitter area. Many places that have poor Freeview selection have good broadband.
It would be a good idea.
Old 20-08-2019, 14:38   #28
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I suppose we may not be typical, but Freeview is the one thing we dont have (I dont even have a suitable aerial).
Sky is our main system, we also have Now TV, one daughter has Freesat in her bedroom, the other has Virgin Media.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 20:43   #29
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
I suppose we may not be typical, but Freeview is the one thing we dont have (I dont even have a suitable aerial).
Sky is our main system, we also have Now TV, one daughter has Freesat in her bedroom, the other has Virgin Media.
Since Digital Switchover, the digital signals have been greatly increased. There are lots of people who can now receive Freeview with a set top aerial!

A family member dumped Virgin Media because of the latest price increase (she originally got cable because the analogue signal was so appalling), but found that she could get all the Freeview channels without a rooftop aerial and has Now TV to top it up.

It might be worth checking this out if you ever need/want Freeview.
Old 23-08-2019, 19:02   #30
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

I'm assuming that these tests were successful, as i've been told that Freesports HD is now using this standard and that S4C HD is in the process of changing over.