Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | VM admit that STM hours vary without notice

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

VM admit that STM hours vary without notice

Old 01-04-2008, 14:11   #136
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: VM admit that STM hours vary without notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
£37 for 20megabit and £11 or thereabouts for phone and you are saying that aint expensive compared to other providers?
1 - adsl is variable, mrs white may get 16mbit but mr black 2 miles away will only get 3mbit, cable meanwhile everyone gets synch speed equal to what they purchased.
2 - adsl in particular the cheapest products excluding sky can have very heavy shaping/throttling certianly a lot worse than VM.
3 - at least phone on VM isnt required for BB whilst on adsl it is so it is a factor.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-04-2008, 14:29   #137
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
3 - at least phone on VM isnt required for BB whilst on adsl it is so it is a factor.
Even though there is the ongoing issue of why apparently you cant compare VM phone + BB price with BT + ADSL provider price (which always makes VM look more expensive)
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 17:37   #138
hokkers999
cf.addict

hokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to beholdhokkers999 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
1 - adsl is variable, mrs white may get 16mbit but mr black 2 miles away will only get 3mbit, cable meanwhile everyone gets synch speed equal to what they purchased.
2 - adsl in particular the cheapest products excluding sky can have very heavy shaping/throttling certianly a lot worse than VM.
Number 1 is REALLY funny. did you miss the UPTO part of the advertising. It is absolutely untrue that everyone gets the speed they have purchased. VM internet is as variable as anyone else's.
hokkers999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 18:39   #139
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

I am speaking as someone who is on adsl and has used cable in the past, how many people complaining of cable been poor value have actually used adsl or just assuming the grass is greener on the other side?

Cable can slow down due to congestion and STM.
Adsl can slow down due to congestion, shaping/throttling, slow synch speed, and BTs bras profiling system it is technically a worse product.

hokkers999 are you claiming that not everyone synchs at the speed they purchase on cable?

When I was on ntl I was in a bad student area it was very congested so believe me I know cable can perform badly but what I do know is I was able to download fast zooming along at 10mbit 3-5amish whilst on adsl my line maxes out at around 5.5mbit throughput meaning I can never get above 5.5mbit because the synch limits it.

Now upto 8mbit for £15 may sound super duper but the reality is at that price the product is more constrained and limited than what you get on cable, the few isps that perform well such as zen have caps. The very few isps that are fast and have no caps such as ukonline and BE will require you to be in a LLU area but these are not the norm what mainstream adsl isps such as tiscali and BT provide.

So I repeat if you buy 20mbit cable your modem will be synched at 20mbit and it is probable that at some point during the day (most likely 4am) that you can download at that speed whilst on adsl for millions of people the up to speed is not obtainable. (25% of lines capable of full 8meg synch only)
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote