Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Shareaza and NTL:250 and VM

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Using Rediffusion Ducts & Sharing 20mb Broadband

Old 31-05-2007, 14:20   #1
Panes XP
Inactive

Panes XP is an unknown quantity at this point
Using Rediffusion Ducts & Sharing 20mb Broadband

I am intending to share a 20mb Virgin Media Broadband connection with other people in my street.

Would I be able to use the old rediffusion cable ducts for my new cabling?

Do Virgin Media prohibit you from sharing your broadband with other households?

The other problem I have to overcome is that Cat5e cabling has a maximum distance of only 90 metres and I think Cat6 can be run for only 150 metres.

Thanks in advance.
Panes XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-05-2007, 14:21   #2
dcclanuk
Inactive

dcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quadsdcclanuk has a fine set of Quads
Re: Using Rediffusion Ducts & Sharing 20mb Broadband

Not allowed to do that AFAIK with VM! [or any ISP for that matter!]
dcclanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:22   #3
on in an hour!
Inactive

Location: looking at a nice new scar in the tarmac outside my house!
Services: staff deal
on in an hour! has reached the bronze age
on in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze ageon in an hour! has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panes XP View Post
I am intending to share a 20mb Virgin Media Broadband connection with other people in my street.

The other problem I have to overcome is that Cat5e cabling has a maximum distance of only 90 metres and I think Cat6 can be run for only 150 metres.

Thanks in advance.
thats a big NO NO my friend.
on in an hour! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:27   #4
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

Moved to VM broadband forum.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:29   #5
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Don't think you're allowed to do that... but you could just get a powerful wireless router and share that with your neighbours on your street.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:37   #6
prawncocktail
Inactive

Services: 10MB BBI, XL TV, Talk Unlimited, V+, Extra V Box (all ex-TW)
prawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikesh View Post
Don't think you're allowed to do that... but you could just get a powerful wireless router and share that with your neighbours on your street.
also illegal

Do not do any of what you have suggested, you can be heavily fined and even go to prison for it. Your 20mb connection or any connection with any isp if for your use only, you are not allowed to share it and it is YOUR responsibility to make sure nobody can access your connection (mainly applic. to wireless) other than you. If you dont do this you can get in serious trouble not just with your isp but also the police
prawncocktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:38   #7
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirkby View Post
also illegal

Do not do any of what you have suggested, you can be heavily fined and even go to prison for it
Really?! Sorry I didn't realise. Scrap my suggestion.
Old 31-05-2007, 14:39   #8
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
How is that any different to using a wired solution?

The OP could buy a business product/reseller product and charge the rest of the street to help cover the additional cost but there wouldn't be that much of a saving and the OP would be responsible for all maintenance and such like.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:40   #9
prawncocktail
Inactive

Services: 10MB BBI, XL TV, Talk Unlimited, V+, Extra V Box (all ex-TW)
prawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really niceprawncocktail is just really nice

Quote:
Really?! Sorry I didn't realise. Scrap my suggestion.
no problem, just be careful
prawncocktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:40   #10
ssdd
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media "up to" 20mb broadband
ssdd is a jewel in the roughssdd is a jewel in the roughssdd is a jewel in the roughssdd is a jewel in the roughssdd is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Prey do tell us WHY you want to do this, as as said before "it's a NO NO"
ssdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 14:44   #11
Nikesh
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
How is that any different to using a wired solution?

The OP could buy a business product/reseller product and charge the rest of the street to help cover the additional cost but there wouldn't be that much of a saving and the OP would be responsible for all maintenance and such like.
Sorry LOL.... I obviously didn't think it through....
Old 31-05-2007, 14:47   #12
Panes XP
Inactive

Panes XP is an unknown quantity at this point

When I phoned up Virgin Media last week asking about download limits, contention ratio etc.. I also asked whether I will be able to share my broadband with my neighbor and they interestingly said it was fine and that I will need to purchase a wireless router.

So I suppose thats a verbal contract?
Panes XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 15:31   #13
Tightscot
Inactive

Tightscot has reached the bronze age
Tightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze age

Quote:
not worth the paper it's written on...
Tightscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 15:39   #14
brundles
Inactive

brundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of societybrundles is a pillar of society

Quote:
When I phoned up Virgin Media last week asking about download limits, contention ratio etc.. I also asked whether I will be able to share my broadband with my neighbor and they interestingly said it was fine and that I will need to purchase a wireless router.

I believe that technically it's against the Ts&Cs to share the broadband outside the household that it's installed to.

If nothing else, I wouldn't be comfortable sharing my broadband connection to any device I wasn't aware of and couldn't exert some form of control/restrictions over. Whatever gets done on your broadband connection, whoever by eventually leads back to your front door.
brundles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2007, 15:44   #15
xspeedyx

lol nice guy but nooooooooooooooo way are u meant to not sure how they will know this but I wouldntr risk that