Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 14:55   #781
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
In my opinion its still a pipe dream with the exception of Disney I don't see many brave enough to go it alone outside the USA.

I still see the others licensing content to third parties.
If Hollywood never sold its stuff outside America before, then I'd agree, but Hollywood's films and tv span the globe and that's before further media consolidation probably with more telecoms and tech companies.

---------- Post added at 14:55 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I do think also that as material becomes about 5 years old on any streamer, many programmes will be made available elsewhere, either exclusively or on a non-exclusive basis.[

If they do, I would imagine that they will give the content rights to the SVOD services rather than the pay-tv channels.
Certainly Comcast and AT&T have publicly said they will still licence content, especially older content to third parties, but lets see how long that model can continue for in the streaming world. Not long, me thinks.
Old 02-05-2019, 15:13   #782
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Of the new entrants Comcast will also probably have the largest audience early on for its streaming service , they announced the service will be available ad supported for all it's 50 million + subscribers both here and in the US.

The ad supported service will also be available on other US pay TV platforms as well as a chargeable version for people without pay TV.
Old 02-05-2019, 17:38   #783
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

For broadband yes, but AT&T and Verizon have over 150m+ subscribers a piece for their mobile services and unlike Verizon, AT&T has the Warner content to stream to those mobile customers. So, in theory, AT&T should hit the ground running with their streamer too.
Old 02-05-2019, 19:08   #784
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Broadband ?

I'm referring to the 50 million + TV subscribers who'll have access included for free from the ad supported Streaming service as far as I'm aware the others have only mentioned pay OTT services.

I'm sure Comcast mentioned making $5-6 per subscriber from advertising which seems pretty good and gives them a huge audience from day one with the potential for an even higher audience if the as supported app becomes available to competing pay TV services.

Last edited by muppetman11; 02-05-2019 at 19:13.
Old 09-05-2019, 14:04   #785
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

We'll, here is a reason NOT to throw out the old.
At last a free day to enjoy my retirement. Poor weather so a chance to binge watch on Netflix the early series of Line of Duty. Then around 10.30am the internet goes down . . . and VM TV too. Estimated fix time according to My Virgin Media 6.30pm.
All is not lost for my relaxing day as I have many programmes recorded on my V6 waiting to be watched. Currently enjoying the excellent ITV series Victoria.
I know it is extremely rare the internet plays up . . . but it has sure happened today!

---------- Post added at 12:44 ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 ----------

My lad has just come back from work looking forward to watching Game of Thrones on Now TV upstairs . . . but still no internet.
He is now having to watch recorded Ghosts on my TV.
Come back internet!

---------- Post added at 14:04 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

2pm. It's working again!
Old 19-05-2019, 19:28   #786
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

More trouble ahead for the conventional TV channels. The lack of US content available to them as studios divert their attention to OTT services means that linear TV channels will have to invest in more content of their own or suffer a lack of 'must see' programming.

https://tbivision.com/2019/05/17/tbi...global-buyers/

Rampant consolidation across the US market and forthcoming launches of studio-backed SVODs such as Disney+ and the WarnerMedia streamer point to a potential “scarcity” of content as studios are expected to hold back key shows for their own services.
Old 19-05-2019, 21:10   #787
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

The best streaming service for content in my opinion is YouTube and it's free if you don't mind short ads.
Old 19-05-2019, 21:17   #788
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
More trouble ahead for the conventional TV channels. The lack of US content available to them as studios divert their attention to OTT services means that linear TV channels will have to invest in more content of their own or suffer a lack of 'must see' programming.

https://tbivision.com/2019/05/17/tbi...global-buyers/

Rampant consolidation across the US market and forthcoming launches of studio-backed SVODs such as Disney+ and the WarnerMedia streamer point to a potential “scarcity” of content as studios are expected to hold back key shows for their own services.
There’s no quality on linear TV anyway according to your analysis. So nothing to lose from this in practice.
Old 20-05-2019, 05:35   #789
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
There’s no quality on linear TV anyway according to your analysis. So nothing to lose from this in practice.
Things can often be like that in the hypothetical fantasy world of OB but real reality tends to come sooner rather then later l always find.
Old 20-05-2019, 08:34   #790
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Not true. What about Bodyguard, Victoria, Line of Duty and so on?

My complaint has not been that there are no quality programmes on scheduled TV, just that the number of such programmes are diminishing. This is particularly noticeable on the pay tv channels. Only BBC and ITV seem to be putting themselves out with their own quality dramas at present. Sky does the occasional one such as Strikeback, but there are very few, if any, compelling Sky productions on there these days.

A couple or so years ago, I was recording programmes from quite a range of channels - even minor ones such as 5USA. This no longer happens because I simply can't find stuff to watch any more..

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Things can often be like that in the hypothetical fantasy world of OB but real reality tends to come sooner rather then later l always find.
I live in the real world, Den, where advances are made and things change over time. You seem to be stuck in a time warp!
Old 20-05-2019, 10:44   #791
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

If I'm honest I always manage to find things to watch on my Sky Q box in fact much easier than entering Netflix which usually results in frustration.

There are literally hundreds of movies/shows my box either automatically picks up or suggests to me across terrestrial and pay channels.

That's before I even browse the extensive Sky Box Sets section.

Last edited by muppetman11; 20-05-2019 at 10:47.
Old 20-05-2019, 11:48   #792
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Not true. What about Bodyguard, Victoria, Line of Duty and so on?

My complaint has not been that there are no quality programmes on scheduled TV, just that the number of such programmes are diminishing. This is particularly noticeable on the pay tv channels. Only BBC and ITV seem to be putting themselves out with their own quality dramas at present. Sky does the occasional one such as Strikeback, but there are very few, if any, compelling Sky productions on there these days.

A couple or so years ago, I was recording programmes from quite a range of channels - even minor ones such as 5USA. This no longer happens because I simply can't find stuff to watch any more..

---------- Post added at 08:34 ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 ----------

I live in the real world, Den, where advances are made and things change over time. You seem to be stuck in a time warp!

What about Game of Thrones - sky exclusive with a very large following over a number of years
Old 20-05-2019, 11:58   #793
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
What about Game of Thrones - sky exclusive with a very large following over a number of years
GoT is an HBO production. Sky has no involvement in the production.

https://www.hbo.com/game-of-thrones
Old 20-05-2019, 12:03   #794
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

To be fair he didn't really say they did but his point is valid it has the exclusive UK subscription rights to the show currently.
Old 20-05-2019, 12:20   #795
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post

If you read my post you will see I never said they had, only that they have exclusive broadcasting rights - which is true
Closed Thread