Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 15-03-2019, 11:02   #676
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
but no need to make stuff up.
Oh dear it seems your motto is if someone disagrees with you , please revert to plan B and accuse them of making it all up..

---------- Post added at 10:02 ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Den OB has a very simplified way of looking at most business things.

It usually goes something like Company A has far more money than company B and could blow them out the water end of.

ESPN owned by Disney had far greater resources than both Sky and BT but retreated from the UK Sports market.
Indeed MM he seems to have forgotten that for some absurd reason but l am glad you came along to just to awaken his memory.
Old 15-03-2019, 11:37   #677
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
You obviously have no understanding of the UK Premier League football rights market that is quite clear to see.

---------- Post added at 09:55 ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 ----------

l see as is this not the person "who confidently predicted" for the last three Premier league rights auctions who said Amazon was going to blow Sky and BT out of the water with regards to those rights.

Answers on a postcard if you have a answer to that one..
Your posts, I'm afraid, are totally devoid of evidence. What I actually said was that Amazon or one of the other streaming services were likely to make a serious bid for the Premiership rights either in the last bidding round or the next one.

---------- Post added at 10:35 ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 ----------

Quote:
Oh dear it seems your motto is if someone disagrees with you , please revert to plan B and accuse them of making it all up..
Well, that's the only logical explanation. Why not prove me wrong and supply the evidence?

I am happy to accept your opinion, Den, but when you make a statement about Amazon's business model preventing them from doing something, one does expect you to be able to back this up with facts to support your argument.

---------- Post added at 10:37 ---------- Previous post was at 10:35 ----------

Quote:
Indeed MM he seems to have forgotten that for some absurd reason but l am glad you came along to just to awaken his memory.
No, haven't forgotten. But it doesn't prove that Amazon will never compete for the PL, does it?
Old 15-03-2019, 12:27   #678
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Den OB has a very simplified way of looking at most business things.

It usually goes something like Company A has far more money than company B and could blow them out the water end of.
Exactly. Which is why Rupert Murdoch sold most of his global media empire that he had spent his entire life building, simply for that reason.

I think many people here don't realise what an inflection point that was and what it means for the future, a future dominated by streaming and the tech giants.

Quote:
ESPN owned by Disney had far greater resources than both Sky and BT but retreated from the UK Sports market.
As you would know, streaming wasn't around then and Disney had no way to monetise their investment if they did make a bid for rights. Sky not only had the money to compete against them, but the distribution network too.

---------- Post added at 11:27 ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 ----------

Quote:
l am talking in particular about the UK Premier League football TV rights as they are not going to pay £5 billion just for just one countries football rights as it makes no business sense to them at all and never has done wherever with the Lord of the Rings series they are likely to get their money back again and again through the many monetary avenues that are open to them.
I've haven't got a lot of time to look into all of this at the moment, but even after a quick one minute google search, one of the ways, beyond subscription fees (which worked for Sky and BT) to monetise the UK rights is via advertising. Not just the normal kind either, but the kind that lets you link straight into somebody's website to buy stuff and of course we all know who has a rather large shopping site.

I still think Amazon or one of the other tech giants, will approach the Premier League and government and get the rules changes to allow them to make a bid for global rights as well as all UK rights.

It maybe the case they pay one price for UK rights, then another for global. Football is gaining ever increasingly popularity in China with its massive population and that's one of the things I reckon Amazon has its eye on. As well as selling numerous products via ad breaks at every opportunity into the Chinese market too.

Last edited by Horizon; 15-03-2019 at 13:11.
Old 15-03-2019, 13:35   #679
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
If Amazon offered a lot more than the £4.6billion, I think the Premier League would seriously consider it, yes. Better to deal with one company, than dozens of them.

On UK rights, I would expect Amazon to play some trickery pokery with bundling, to mask the costs to the consumer in the same way that Sky etc do with their bundles.

---------- Post added at 21:47 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

The tech companies have a lot of dosh, some of that no doubt would be spent on lobbying politicians. But I agree, its a hurdle for now.

They cannot obtain exclusive UK rights as already stated. Doesn't matter how much they pay it isn't allowed
Old 15-03-2019, 13:36   #680
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Further evidence, if any was needed that people are becoming disillusioned with pay tv. It's only a matter of time now before people decide to ditch their hundreds of poor value channels for SVOD services.

https://www.rapidtvnews.com/20190314...#axzz5iF8AQWwn

In the netgem.tv survey, just over three-fifths of the Sky, Virgin or BT customers polled (62%), said their package was ‘only slightly’ or ‘not at all’ customised. Only just over a tenth have a package that is highly customised for their household viewing habits while a third (32%) of those surveyed with an account with Sky, Virgin Media or BT TV, believe that their paid-for TV package is poor or terrible value for money. In a further show of dissatisfaction with traditional packages, a fifth (21%) of people who pay for a traditional TV package admit that they stream extra content not on those channels every day.
Old 15-03-2019, 13:42   #681
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

I’d be more interested if the 62% actually cancelled. By their nature bundles often aren’t customised - fully customised bundles aren’t really bundles at all.

I still haven’t seen any credible calculations of how £5bn on Premiership football rights is profitable for Amazon (or anyone else) based on current (or even hypothetical) pricing. They aren’t a charity after all.
Old 15-03-2019, 14:32   #682
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

So how customised are your Netflix and Amazon packages, OB?
Old 15-03-2019, 14:59   #683
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Horizon

A few points ,

The tech giants you talk about , how's YouTube Premium going for Google ? Amazon's streaming service still doesn't compete or come near to that of Netflix. How many would subscribe if it wasn't for the bundled benefits of Prime. I have Amazon Prime and we rarely watch or find much worth watching on the service and that includes the kids.

Streamers may get interested if Sports rights were available globally but under the current territory by territory basis no chance they pay north of £5 billion just for the UK rights. Facebook and Twitter have both dabbled with content but had little success.
Old 15-03-2019, 15:08   #684
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Your posts, I'm afraid, are totally devoid of evidence. What I actually said was that Amazon or one of the other streaming services were likely to make a serious bid for the Premiership rights either in the last bidding round or the next one.
The evidence is all around you but as regular as clockwork you have chosen to ignore them whether its my views but many others on here.

---------- Post added at 14:06 ---------- Previous post was at 14:04 ----------

Quote:
And in the ones before that less we forget and each time your predictions have been shown as comparable as some of Nostradamus's predictions.

---------- Post added at 14:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:06 ----------

Quote:
Well, that's the only logical explanation. Why not prove me wrong and supply the evidence?
l and others have supplied the evidence many times before but alas as usual you have chosen to ignore it on the altar of your own beliefs.
Old 15-03-2019, 15:08   #685
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
So how customised are your Netflix and Amazon packages, OB?
There is certainly a lot of content I don't watch on Netflix and Amazon, but then there is a tremendous amount of material that I have selected for my watchlists and at only a fraction of the price I am paying for cabletv channels.

I must say that I find it incredible that pay tv channels (premium channels excepted) have so few good programmes compared with the 'free' BBC, ITV and Channel 4 channels. You would expect to get better quality by paying for something as opposed to any free options, wouldn't you?
Old 15-03-2019, 15:16   #686
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
I am happy to accept your opinion, Den, but when you make a statement about Amazon's business model preventing them from doing something, one does expect you to be able to back this up with facts to support your argument.
My arguments are backed up by clear inescapable facts which you have palpably chosen to ignore because of what you believe in.

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:12 ----------

Quote:
No, haven't forgotten. But it doesn't prove that Amazon will never compete for the PL, does it?
l suppose that you will be supplying that same strand of argument in 10 to 15 years as well OB.
Old 15-03-2019, 15:17   #687
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
There is certainly a lot of content I don't watch on Netflix and Amazon, but then there is a tremendous amount of material that I have selected for my watchlists and at only a fraction of the price I am paying for cabletv channels.

I must say that I find it incredible that pay tv channels (premium channels excepted) have so few good programmes compared with the 'free' BBC, ITV and Channel 4 channels. You would expect to get better quality by paying for something as opposed to any free options, wouldn't you?
The BBC isn’t free and has a huge taxpayer funded budget. I’d fully expect it to have better programming (in general entertainment terms) than the vast majority of pay channels.
Old 15-03-2019, 15:20   #688
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The BBC isn’t free and has a huge taxpayer funded budget. I’d fully expect it to have better programming (in general entertainment terms) than the vast majority of pay channels.
Oh it does but what else can you expect from someone with a anti BBC agenda.
Old 15-03-2019, 15:32   #689
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Additionally, ITV have a budget from advertising larger than most of the third party channels put together.

The irony being it’s from advertising. From where people sit down and watch linear TV live. A shocking proposition, truly shocking!
Old 15-03-2019, 16:37   #690
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:

Your definition of 'good programmes' is just that - yours, others may consider these as rubbish.
Closed Thread