Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 15-06-2021, 19:52   #331
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Mods I think someone has hacked OB
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2021, 19:55   #332
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
OB you’ve messed up the quotes again.
I did indeed, my friend, but if you had waited for a few more minutes, you will see that I corrected it.

I'm sure you got the message, though.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

Quote:
Mods I think someone has hacked OB
I just want some peace, man, and everyone is well past fed up.
Old 15-06-2021, 19:59   #333
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I did indeed, my friend, but if you had waited for a few more minutes, you will see that I corrected it.

I'm sure you got the message, though.

---------- Post added at 18:55 ---------- Previous post was at 18:54 ----------

I just want some peace, man.
Always had you down as a bit of a hippy OB. Bet you were there, stoned, at the first Glasto
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 20:09   #334
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Can I point out that for most scheduled linear channels to close by 2035, a number of things would have to happen.

1) The PSB mandate would have to be abolished

2) Appropriate broadband would have to be installed to nearly all the country, including all those out of the way towns, villages, and hamlets

3) 25 million people would have to change their viewing habits drastically

To explain 3) further, let’s look the U.K. demographics - at the moment, most of the move away from linear broadcasting is in the under-35s. In the U.K. today, the average life-span is 81 (averaging out male/female life expectancy), and the age breakdown (rounded figures) is as follows -

0-35 - 29 million

35-64 - 25.5million

64+ - 12 million

For the sake of discussion, let’s say the existing 64+ will have shuffled off this mortal coil in 14 years - that leaves over 25 million who are major users of linear broadcasting.

I find it difficult to see the circumstances where a majority of that group of viewers would give up how they currently view from a combination of linear and streaming to streaming only.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 89AB069D-F491-4FDF-B910-9995A1A8ABC9.jpeg (82.4 KB, 59 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 20:12   #335
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Always had you down as a bit of a hippy OB. Bet you were there, stoned, at the first Glasto
If only, Mr K. But I have put it on my bucket list.
Old 15-06-2021, 20:22   #336
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Do I be pedantic in favour of OB here....

Decisions, decisions.
Old 15-06-2021, 20:42   #337
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Do I be pedantic in favour of OB here....

Decisions, decisions.
I think that event was due to happen on 21 June, now 19 July.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 00:13   #338
jfman
Architect of Ideas

So, there’s hundreds of channels of pure garbage out there (not counting +1s that’s essentially cheating ) that I think most could close by 2035. Not generally because broadcasters go to the wall (they’ll all stream anyway) but there will be competing pressure for bandwidth (especially on the cable network) and satellite operators reluctant to go further in commissioning many new birds.

I’ve said before OB is right in spotting trends my issue was always “to zero” - it’s difficult for market forces alone to drive that kind of radical change in a short timeframe. Viewers are agnostic but the nudge is well under way, investment in internet connectivity continues.

A Freeview service of 15-20 HD channels (if it’s worth selling off more bandwidth) and a satellite/cable offering of a further 40-60 UHD/HD channels supplemented by on-demand/streaming is something I could envisage by 2035. I could see streamers launching IPTV channels to promote content but I don’t see this as meaningfully changing the total.
Old 16-06-2021, 08:38   #339
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Cant I point out that for most scheduled linear channels to close by 2035, a number of things would have to happen.

1) The PSB mandate would have to be abolished

2) Appropriate broadband would have to be installed to nearly all the country, including all those out of the way towns, villages, and hamlets

3) 25 million people would have to change their viewing habits drastically

To explain 3) further, let’s look the U.K. demographics - at the moment, most of the move away from linear broadcasting is in the under-35s. In the U.K. today, the average life-span is 81 (averaging out male/female life expectancy), and the age breakdown (rounded figures) is as follows -

0-35 - 29 million

35-64 - 25.5million

64+ - 12 million

For the sake of discussion, let’s say the existing 64+ will have shuffled off this mortal coil in 14 years - that leaves over 25 million who are major users of linear broadcasting.

I find it difficult to see the circumstances where a majority of that group of viewers would give up how they currently view from a combination of linear and streaming to streaming only.

It is possible because:

(1) The PSB arrangements are to be reviewed and they could change the way the rules are applied. We know that to be the case and it has been widely reported.

(2) The broadband rollout continues and all homes will be connected within the next 10 years.

(3) It is not just a question of habits having to change. If Sky's operation becomes IPTV only and the broadcast transmitters are closed down (and I know some on here don't believe it will happen, but I do), then everything will be IPTV. While some of you believe that broadcasting over IPTV will still allow access to scheduled linear TV channels, I would point out the the ITV Hub, All4 and My5 have not done this, and there is no reason to suppose they will in the future.

So if I am correct in those assumptions, the choice to view existing channels will simply not be there.
Old 16-06-2021, 08:52   #340
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If ... could be ... suppose ... assumptions ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 09:14   #341
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If ... could be ... suppose ... assumptions ...
Well, what else is there when we are talking about the future? I have assumed that there will not be an apocalyptic Third World War that destroys infrastructure around the planet as well, but I think it is a reasonable assumption.

Incidentally, my assumptions are based on technical articles I have read, so it is not as pie in the sky as some of you like to make out.
Old 16-06-2021, 09:16   #342
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

“Technical articles” ... right.

Well you know the first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 10:06   #343
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
“Technical articles” ... right.

Well you know the first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club.
They don’t know they are in the Dunning-Kruger club?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 10:08   #344
jfman
Architect of Ideas

In the "most" scenario I outlined above I envisage PSB to be relatively unchanged. As broadcasters they will evolve and have feet in both camps retaining linear channels over DTT/cable/Sky/streaming for a universal service.

While 100% FTTP is extremely unlikely once that figure is in the mid to high 90s we have opted for a "two tier" Freeview service based on what multiplexes can be received - I can see this being enough to support a significant shift.

I think demographic shift supports the direction of travel. For OBs point 3) I doubt broadcast transmitters will close down as soon as that to preserve 1) and broadcast something to the gaps in 2).
Old 16-06-2021, 10:46   #345
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
They don’t know they are in the Dunning-Kruger club?
The club secretary, although a 'good egg', constantly fails to send the welcome pack to new members
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote