Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 24-08-2019, 18:55   #6196
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think it would be reasonable to take the view that if the streaming services advertised as being on there break after five years, the item was not fit for purpose.

I Don’t think consumers should have to put up with this.
Surely it's the fault of the streamer for updating something within their delivery to a way that is incompatible with existing hardware?

It'd make more sense to impose a fine or levy on streaming services that don't maintain minimum standards to accommodate the vast, vast, majority of hardware in the market.

The Netflix app is ultimately Netflix software, be it on an iPad, a Sony TV or a Fire Stick. You wouldn't penalise a PC manufacturer because Microsoft stopped updating an old version of Windows.
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2019, 19:41   #6197
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Surely it's the fault of the streamer for updating something within their delivery to a way that is incompatible with existing hardware?

It'd make more sense to impose a fine or levy on streaming services that don't maintain minimum standards to accommodate the vast, vast, majority of hardware in the market.

The Netflix app is ultimately Netflix software, be it on an iPad, a Sony TV or a Fire Stick. You wouldn't penalise a PC manufacturer because Microsoft stopped updating an old version of Windows.
Now that is what I call a reasonable suggestion. Happy with that.
Old 25-08-2019, 08:57   #6198
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

We had a youtube app problem on our 2014 Sony a year or so ago: It had stopped working, the solution was to delete the browser cookies. Youtube had changed their layout but the set didn't pick it up.
Old 25-08-2019, 09:07   #6199
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
We had a youtube app problem on our 2014 Sony a year or so ago: It had stopped working, the solution was to delete the browser cookies. Youtube had changed their layout but the set didn't pick it up.
The good thing with Virgin/Sky is with Netflix . Amazon Prime and Youtube on their STB one does not encounter that problem.
Old 25-08-2019, 09:59   #6200
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

WWE changed their app layout a month and it is no longer supported on out 2017 Panasonic.

We did get an email from WWE as they had detected we had been using it to say it would not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Old 25-08-2019, 18:40   #6201
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

I am thinking of substituting my Amazon Music subscription for the YouTube Music subscription, which would give me ad-free music on the V6.

However, one question. Would I still be able to add this as an app on my mobile phone so that I could play the music in my car? Has anyone done this and what is your verdict?
Old 25-08-2019, 20:22   #6202
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I am thinking of substituting my Amazon Music subscription for the YouTube Music subscription, which would give me ad-free music on the V6.

However, one question. Would I still be able to add this as an app on my mobile phone so that I could play the music in my car? Has anyone done this and what is your verdict?
Here you go OB https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...music&hl=en_GB i use youtube music on the google home it is better than Amazon imo.
Old 25-08-2019, 21:00   #6203
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Moreover, digital switchover couldn’t even begin until there existed a free digital terrestrial service that was widely understood to be free. OnDigital and then ITV Digital failed because they looked like just another subscription service and created the impression that it wasn’t possible to get into digital TV if your interests went no further than freely available public service broadcasters.

It wasn’t until the BBC took the lead in rebranding digital terrestrial TV as Freeview that set top box sales began to climb to levels where analogue broadcast switch-off dates could be proposed.

There is a large constituency of TV viewers in the UK who aren’t interested in paying for TV and won’t buy any hardware that’s not essential. They’re never going to buy a fire stick, a Roku, Britbox or Now TV.
From what I remember, when OnDigital started, the only way to get a DTT box was through them, so the impression was actually correct.

When Sky started giving out 'free' boxes, OnDigital started doing the same, so I guess that people could then subscribe for the minimum period and then use the box for the FTA channels.

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I have a connected TV. It's a 2014 model. When I got it, it supported iPlayer, Netflix and YouTube. None of these work any more. This could get quite costly (if I was bothered about streaming; luckily I'm not)
Whenever I buy a TV, I don't take it's smart capabilities into consideration, I just view it as a medium term bonus.

Rightly or wrongly, it's become clear that these features will only last for a fixed number of year. Not too much of a problem as there are virtually free options available eg a Now TV box.

---------- Post added at 19:58 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
The good thing with Virgin/Sky is with Netflix . Amazon Prime and Youtube on their STB one does not encounter that problem.
True.

---------- Post added at 20:00 ---------- Previous post was at 19:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A law has to be enforceable to ensure compliance. Do people exceed the speed limit? Do people illegally stream television? Of course. Yet these are illegal.

So if a retailer, such as Amazon, is shipping televisions from abroad will we ban them from entering the UK unless there's a guarantee the software will be maintained for ten years?

Add into the mix I'm sure the nations that are major manufacturers of televisions wouldn't particularly like this kind of rule for one small country. It'd never get through trade negotiations.
I wonder if the 'Fit for purpose' legislation would help with this?
Old 25-08-2019, 21:00   #6204
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Here you go OB https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...music&hl=en_GB i use youtube music on the google home it is better than Amazon imo.
So can I subscribe through the app on the V6 and then listen also on my car radio via my i-phone?

If so, this seems perfect for me.
Old 25-08-2019, 21:25   #6205
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
What evidence - OB has selective memory when he recalls his previous posts/predictions

---------- Post added at 21:48 ---------- Previous post was at 21:45 ----------

Having watched a few US sourced programs I'm not at all surprised there are a lot of people who are averse to it.

I assume from the various industry experts, and also others including the BBC, do keep up old chap....
Old 26-08-2019, 05:52   #6206
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
So can I subscribe through the app on the V6 and then listen also on my car radio via my i-phone?

If so, this seems perfect for me.
Strange that for someone who thinks Virgin and Sky have no future...
Old 26-08-2019, 08:23   #6207
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

I got my ONdigital box off the shelf in a local tv store - they managed to get two in the day before launch.

It was limited supply from anywhere - but they were available off-the-shelf from launch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
From what I remember, when OnDigital started, the only way to get a DTT box was through them, so the impression was actually correct.
Old 26-08-2019, 08:56   #6208
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

As far as I remember, an OnDigital box would show all the FTA terrestrial TV channels out of the box with no need to activate a subscription. They just completely failed to mention that in any of their advertising, which meant instead of getting into every home and then trying to persuade some users to pay a little extra for subscription channels, they were just going up against Sky from day one, and their only selling point was that you didn’t need a dish. In other words their marketing strategy was based on a parody of their competitors from early in the previous decade, and aimed at blimpish types who wouldn’t pay anything over and above their tv licence if their lives depended on it.
Old 26-08-2019, 09:13   #6209
ozsat
cf.mega poster

A long time ago now - I did have to call them but I think that was to switch on the pay channels.

They did have a couple of channels which Sky didn't have. Carlton Select had been cable only and was a very good channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
As far as I remember, an OnDigital box would show all the FTA terrestrial TV channels out of the box with no need to activate a subscription. They just completely failed to mention that in any of their advertising, which meant instead of getting into every home and then trying to persuade some users to pay a little extra for subscription channels, they were just going up against Sky from day one, and their only selling point was that you didn’t need a dish. In other words their marketing strategy was based on a parody of their competitors from early in the previous decade, and aimed at blimpish types who wouldn’t pay anything over and above their tv licence if their lives depended on it.
Old 26-08-2019, 10:00   #6210
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Strange that for someone who thinks Virgin and Sky have no future...
What? Of course they have a future. Mind you, bigger companies may consume them, as Comcast has with Sky.

The fact that pay tv channels will be a thing of the past in years to come will not impact on Sky or Virgin, who will simply offer packages of streaming services instead.
Closed Thread