Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 22-06-2019, 19:24   #5431
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Scheduled TV has been old fashioned and inflexible since the invention of the VCR and subsequently the DVR. It’s still here.
And then came streaming...
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2019, 00:29   #5432
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
And then came streaming...
Exactly..
Old 23-06-2019, 05:30   #5433
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

The original prediction that linear TV channels would reduce in number within five years has not happened.

I don't think anyone disputes that the number of linear channels may be at its peak. The dispute has always been over the timescales.
Old 23-06-2019, 09:27   #5434
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Amazon to launch its free imdb tv service across Europe later this year

"IMDb’s TV service Freedive is set to be rebranded IMDb TV ahead of European launch later this year, with the service set to triple its content selection in the coming months."

"Amazon-owned IMDb did not disclose a timeline for its European launch plans, just saying the service, which operates as a free channel on Amazon Prime and Fire TV, will be made available in Europe later this year."

https://www.ibc.org/delivery/imdb-re...h/3955.article
Old 23-06-2019, 10:01   #5435
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The original prediction that linear TV channels would reduce in number within five years has not happened.

I don't think anyone disputes that the number of linear channels may be at its peak. The dispute has always been over the timescales.
Indeed.

It will take several more years for the old model of doing things to unravel. Currently, the Hollywood companies have deals with each other to share content on each other's services and with broadcasters all over the world. Those deals will take time to run their course and then we'll see what happens next.

If each company keeps its own content on its own services and with the rise of the streamers, it should mean a lot less complicated media landscape in the future as each company turns in on itself and shuts out all the others.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:05   #5436
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Indeed.

It will take several more years for the old model of doing things to unravel. Currently, the Hollywood companies have deals with each other to share content on each other's services and with broadcasters all over the world. Those deals will take time to run their course and then we'll see what happens next.

If each company keeps its own content on its own services and with the rise of the streamers, it should mean a lot less complicated media landscape in the future as each company turns in on itself and shuts out all the others.
Resulting in many going to the wall or being absorbed by the larger broadcasters.

Britbox is one example that will struggle in my opinion.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:12   #5437
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

By a less complicated media landscape we mean less competition and less choice?
Old 23-06-2019, 10:32   #5438
Horizon
Media Watcher

Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Resulting in many going to the wall or being absorbed by the larger broadcasters.

Britbox is one example that will struggle in my opinion.
If you take it to its logical conclusion, the era of the streamers spearheaded by Netflix, is the beginning of the end of national broadcasters.

Netflix is making content in many different languages now. They are truly becoming the world's first tv "channel." And things will go full circle to how they used to be, sort of.

We used to watch only a few tv channels before Sky came along and in the end, the choice will be between half a dozen or so streamers perhaps with some linear channels attached. The difference is that rather than the BBC and ITV getting millions of views each night, it will be Netflix and the streamers. And it won't be millions of viewers, but billions as the entire world watches the same "channels."

---------- Post added at 10:32 ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
By a less complicated media landscape we mean less competition and less choice?
As far as broadcasters/companies go, I believe so. Keep a close eye on our broadcasters. CH5 is already gobbled up by the Americans and I've already given my views about the fate of ITV too.

There'll be "regional" differences, though. In the Indian sub continent, they'll always favour Bollywood and their local services over Hollywood and the Anglo Saxon streamers. Same with China. But where as now, each country each has its own broadcasters, that will all mostly fall to the wayside as the streamers cross borders and the language divide. Many of the world's "minor" languages will go in the end too.

As for choice, as long as you have the money, the choice will be immense. Having access to every tv show and film ever made, instantly available and on any device. If you know where to look, that has already been the case for some time already long before the streamers came along...

The choice will be huge. Or for us poor folks, we'll still have a massive choice, but have to put up with targeted ad infested services instead.

Last edited by Horizon; 23-06-2019 at 11:44.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:41   #5439
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

My biggest gripe with Netflix and Amazon is the fact the bulk of their content is US based so I'm glad we still have the likes of BBC and ITV linear channels and their respective catch up services.
Old 23-06-2019, 10:58   #5440
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post

The launch of new streaming services next year may see the start of that decline.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

Quote:
My biggest gripe with Netflix and Amazon is the fact the bulk of their content is US based so I'm glad we still have the likes of BBC and ITV linear channels and their respective catch up services.
British made shows won't disappear when linear channels close down. They will simply be available in another place.
Old 23-06-2019, 11:39   #5441
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

And it may not be the start of any meaningful change - it’s unlikely to reach the threshold where it’s not cost effective to maintain a linear presence.
Old 23-06-2019, 11:54   #5442
Horizon
Media Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The launch of new streaming services next year may see the start of that decline.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

British made shows won't disappear when linear channels close down. They will simply be available in another place.
The decline already started which is why Sky don't publish their pay tv subs any more. As of the end of last year, there are more streaming subs in the UK than pay tv ones.

As for British tv shows, this is what I'm most nervous about in a streaming world dominated ultimately by what I believe will be the American tech giants.

Take Netflix's Sex Education as a example. I really like the main actors in that and was looking forward to watching that series when it first popped up on the service. I gave up watching after 20 minutes... Although it's meant to be a British tv show, it's almost pure American in everything about it. I couldn't stomach it.

If British tv shows under American ownership means Americanised, then I think that's terrible for our culture going forward in the streaming world. But we'll see. Netflix also made The Crown, the most expensive show ever to date and that looks very British, but I've not seen it yet, so can't comment.
Old 23-06-2019, 12:06   #5443
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

And how many of those streaming subs still watch either terrestrial TV or sub to a pay TV platform I'd say the majority in my opinion.
Old 23-06-2019, 12:11   #5444
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
And how many of those streaming subs still watch either terrestrial TV or sub to a pay TV platform I'd say the majority in my opinion.
And this is the rub. There's almost no reason, for anyone, anywhere in the UK to have to rely on watching actual BBC1. Virgin have iPlayer, Sky have iPlayer, almost every smart television, Apple TV, Chromecast and Fire Stick has iPlayer.

Yet - people sit down and watch linear TV.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/la...19/lod-ratings
Old 23-06-2019, 12:17   #5445
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
And that will still be the case as far as the eye can see.