Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | I just can't secure my wireless network!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

I just can't secure my wireless network!

Old 12-04-2009, 15:07   #1
Quacker1964
Inactive

Quacker1964 is an unknown quantity at this point
I just can't secure my wireless network!

my wireless network works fine. Fine in that I connect 2x desktop, 1 laptop and 1 internet radio.

Through various forums, reading, tips & advice I have done all that I am supposed to do i.e 192.168.2.1 and followed prompts to add security - I have tried various levels of security, but every time I add security, I lose connection on everything! - so I have to revert back to disabled in order to continue.

Indeed I have just purchased a new desktop, this was the only machine that actually showed anything when I requested to search for available networks. The laptop, for example finds nothing when I do this.

I'm pretty much a novice at this stuff, and at first wasn't sure what I was doing and why. Now I have an idea what needs to be done but cannot understand why is doesn't work and what if anything I am doing wrong or needs to be corrected.

As you can imagine I have googled this problem so much - and it is a big problem and yet still cannot get the result I crave. I have 4 attached things but when I read the DHCP client list it shows anywhere from 8-12 - I assume this means up to 12 people are using my network?

The person who originally set this up will have a look when he finds time - I've even had IT people talk me through it by telephone without success. I'd sooner do it myself as I thought it was straightforward. I even bought another wireless router in case that was the problem - now I am charged with setting that one up for my girlfriend!!! - I can't even do my own!

Does anyone have any idea how I can find a real idiots guide with pictures to set this thing up from scratch? - I'm sure I am missing something really obvious as other people manage to secure their's...eventually.

Thanks for reading my first post - I'm sure the desperation shines through
Quacker1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2009, 15:15   #2
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Re: I just can't secure my wireless network!

You will need to post what the make and model of your router is so people can offer the correct advice.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 15:18   #3
zing_deleted

change the default broadcast channel then set up security from a wired connection
Old 12-04-2009, 15:37   #4
Quacker1964
Inactive

Belkin F5D7231-4 is the model - sorry I thought it was a standard procedure irrespective of model etc. - at least that's what I was told

---------- Post added at 14:37 ---------- Previous post was at 14:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
change the default broadcast channel then set up security from a wired connection
I think I changed it - I assume the default broadcast channel is/was the SSID?

Someone else mentioned wired connection. What is that exactly - everything is controlled from the main PC - I'm guessing this means something needs to be plugged back in here?? (hence my request for a step-by-step pictorial guide lol)

Wish I'd been in the same room when it was setup originally instead of making tea and connecting the dongle in another machine (downstairs)

In (very) basic terms The desktop is connected to the router, then a cable from the router to the cable modem. The laptop & 2nd PC have dongles and internet radio is WIFI (if that makes sense)

Oh and awaiting delivery of a netbook!
Old 12-04-2009, 15:42   #5
zing_deleted

you are wired as you say the main pc is connected to the router. The broadcast channel is the frequency setting the wireless is set to. 1 to 12 it will be in the wireless settings . Change it and try trial and error you have plenty to choose from lol
Old 12-04-2009, 16:20   #6
Quacker1964
Inactive

It is currently ch11 by the way. Can I just ask at this point Zinglebarb (and others) Should there be an ENET cable connecting PC to Router then? - I'm guessing there has to be as there is no PC card/dongle on this "main" PC, unlike the others.

I have 1-13 to try. Just go through them you reckon?

I'm puzzled as this still doesn't explain why whenever I look to see what connections are available, nothing shows up on my laptop (for example) even if it is already connected to the network!

---------- Post added at 15:20 ---------- Previous post was at 14:59 ----------

I'm trying this and nothing is happening. I think the fundamental problem is whenever I add any sort of security, the laptop when I ask to search for available networks is not seeing any - not even my neighbours!! - when I remove the security, it is still not seeing any network but connecting anyway.

When I check the PC downstairs (brand new with Vista) it locates the networks. I have just now secured the network and found the network and at last successfully loaded the key on the downstairs PC - all good.

But.... the laptop (which uses XP) is still not seeing the networks when I right click. Any ideas?

Edit: meaning perhaps the laptop/XP might be the problem as I have just put the code into my wifi internet radio and it is working. I'm awaiting a netbook this week and the lappy will be redundant and used offline as a storage machine really.

Final question, what level of security should I set as I just set 64 bit WEP to see if I could get anything to work!
Old 12-04-2009, 18:14   #7
zing_deleted

You should have some connection between the main pc and the router if you want internet on it

Yes try any channel

wpa is what you should be trying

The pcs with usb adapters do they have their own software to connect to the network?
Old 12-04-2009, 19:10   #8
Quacker1964
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
You should have some connection between the main pc and the router if you want internet on it

Yes try any channel

wpa is what you should be trying

The pcs with usb adapters do they have their own software to connect to the network?
Gosh this was so long ago - I assume so, but it is a dongle - i just located a disk - Peak 2.0 USB disk. IIRC the lappy is fairly old and probably not even 2.0 USB ports - I know it is not wireless. Too much old tech here i'm afraid

What a week I'm having - my V+ box has just packed up and in need of replacement.
Old 14-04-2009, 13:39   #9
cripinuk
Inactive

cripinuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you leave ssid broadcast on..
cripinuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2009, 08:37   #10
Quacker1964
Inactive

Thanks everyone. Got there eventually - even added a new Toshiba Netbook last night. As an added bonus I get the dubious pleasure of now setting up a wireless router for my other half! - I will make sure it is encrypted from the start