Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 23-06-2015, 12:03   #706
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

To me that just sounds like they're telling XP and Vista users that they'll need to roll back.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-06-2015, 12:08   #707
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
To me that just sounds like they're telling XP and Vista users that they'll need to roll back.
MS never give a clear message, so obviously they won't know my Windows 8 key if i did a clean install( as far as i know) so i think i will not take the risk of losing the FREE upgrade and clean install 8 when needed then join as an insider again possibly.
Old 23-06-2015, 13:59   #708
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
MS never give a clear message, so obviously they won't know my Windows 8 key if i did a clean install( as far as i know) so i think i will not take the risk of losing the FREE upgrade and clean install 8 when needed then join as an insider again possibly.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9395/w...-update-part-2

Quote:
You are a Windows Insider, and you want to stay in the program. After Windows 10 launches, the Insider program will continue. If you want to stay an insider after the launch, there is nothing to be done and you will continue to have an activated copy of Windows. However, from the post, there is one more point to add: “the Windows Insider Program is intended to be installed on Genuine Windows devices” so even though they are not checking, to be in full compliance, the device running the Insider preview of Windows 10 should be a licensed computer.

The second scenario is that you have upgraded your Windows 7 or 8.1 computer to the pre-release Windows 10 build, but when the final build comes around you want to exit the program. As long as you started with a licensed Windows 7 or 8.1 PC, your PC will remain activated.

The final scenario is if you want to exit the Insider program, but you are running Windows 10 from a clean install. In this scenario, you will be required to roll back to the original operating system, and then do the Windows 10 upgrade in order to get activated. Once activated, you can do another clean install if necessary.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 18:37   #709
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Yes i can see that if you want to be a tester just stay in the Preview, but in doing so you will lose your FREE upgrade if you don't claim it in the first year, so what i can see we need to install 7 or 8 again at RTM so we don't lose it? Then we can rejoin the as a tester?
if you stay as an Insider you keep the operating system for free.Its not the same as the free upgrade as they do not have to take on preview builds.

Your options are test windows for the duration or clean install 8 and upgrade that way. Or do both

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cimt View Post
You will not be able to do an in place upgrade from either of them operating systems and the upgrade is not free for them anyway

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Computers do not need a licence what they are saying there makes no sense
johnhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 20:29   #710
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhook View Post
if you stay as an Insider you keep the operating system for free.Its not the same as the free upgrade as they do not have to take on preview builds.

Your options are test windows for the duration or clean install 8 and upgrade that way. Or do both

---------- Post added at 18:36 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

You will not be able to do an in place upgrade from either of them operating systems and the upgrade is not free for them anyway

---------- Post added at 18:37 ---------- Previous post was at 18:36 ----------

I will eventually clean install my Win8 Pro and get my legit key that way, then may become an insider again.
Old 24-06-2015, 11:26   #711
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Perhaps you should look up what "license" means.
Old 24-06-2015, 12:08   #712
johnhook
Permanently Banned

johnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about themjohnhook has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Perhaps you should look up what "license" means.
lol I know what it means and from what I can see in the EULA of the insider preview there is nowhere in it that states the PC you install it on has to be licensed prior to installation. In fact it does make it clear that it is aimed at the expert who may well have test hardware for such instances.
Old 24-06-2015, 12:22   #713
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
lol I know what it means and from what I can see in the EULA of the insider preview there is nowhere in it that states the PC you install it on has to be licensed prior to installation. In fact it does make it clear that it is aimed at the expert who may well have test hardware for such instances.
What is means is the Windows 10 needs to be activate which ties Windows 10 installation to that pc.
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 13:09   #714
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension too. Nobody claimed it was written in the EULA. It was quite clearly referring to the fact Microsoft intended not licensed it to be used on only genuine Windows devices.
Old 24-06-2015, 14:23   #715
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Perhaps you need to work on your reading comprehension too. Nobody claimed it was written in the EULA. It was quite clearly referring to the fact Microsoft intended not licensed it to be used on only genuine Windows devices.
Who says? if that was what M$ wanted it would be in the EULA I could have been running Nix on my hardware and it never seen Windows before M$ are and would be more than happy for me to install the Insider preview on it

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
What is means is the Windows 10 needs to be activate which ties Windows 10 installation to that pc.
Windows 10 insider preview certainly does not need to be activated to an existing installation. A key is provided with the insider preview downloads but it is never asked for and this will remain activated as long as I remain an Insider and opt in to test builds after RTM

Any X86 hardware would become licensed to the windows 10 insider preview for desktops
Old 24-06-2015, 15:39   #716
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Who says? if that was what M$ wanted it would be in the EULA I could have been running Nix on my hardware and it never seen Windows before M$ are and would be more than happy for me to install the Insider preview on it
Microsoft says. It's quite clearly written in the article you're criticising despite evidently not actually reading it.
Old 24-06-2015, 16:25   #717
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Microsoft says. It's quite clearly written in the article you're criticising despite evidently not actually reading it.
I do not really care what some guy says in a blog no matter who he is or who he works for. Now knowing what a license is and by agreeing to the EULA which does not state it has to be on a Genuine Windows Computer then I get a legal insider license

Also how many on the forum built their own machine? Now does that qualify prior to installing windows 7 or 8 is it not a genuine device? so if I built a machine with the intent of testing windows 10 I am not meant to use it? nonsense. M$ have been happy getting it tested by millions for free now a little over a month before RTM they are saying Oh some of you are not meant to be running it?
Old 24-06-2015, 18:26   #718
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

All previous Windows previews had a shelf life, and would stop working a few months after RTM.

The same thing will probably happen for those who don't have a valid windows key for the upgrade.

Insiders shouldn't be using the preview as their main PC anyway, like it told you when you signed up to the Insider preview

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 19:44   #719
johnhook
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
All previous Windows previews had a shelf life, and would stop working a few months after RTM.

The same thing will probably happen for those who don't have a valid windows key for the upgrade.

Insiders shouldn't be using the preview as their main PC anyway, like it told you when you signed up to the Insider preview
Insiders on the preview will be updated to RTM and will continue to test preview builds after release. If they leave the program and still use windows 10 then they will need to upgrade from windows 7 or 8 that has all be laid out previously

They advise that it is a test environment and advise not to be used as main PC some builds have not been stable enough others are. 10130 is usable for 90% of what I do just can not watch movies on my tv without it skipping to the end 10 mins in then I just boot to windows 8.1 which I kept
Old 24-06-2015, 22:29   #720
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Insiders without genuine keys will only be able to keep a free and updated version of Windows 10 if they stay in the preview and continue to try out preview builds.

If you don't do that your Windows 10 will eventually cease to function.

Insiders that have genuine keys from Win 7/8 then they will get the RTM and any regular system updates after that, they won't have to keep testing new builds.

I see that as a good trade off For example I only use Windows via bootcamp to play games every so often and also to stream X1 games now. Its not my main OS so being able to keep it working for free is fine by me.