Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Gig1 with Hub 4 topping out at 645 Mbps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Gig1 with Hub 4 topping out at 645 Mbps

Old 15-11-2021, 12:46   #46
Lee
cf.addict

Lee is on a distinguished roadLee is on a distinguished road
Re: Gig1 with Hub 4 topping out at 645 Mbps

OK, so new router arrived today and set it up.

Speed tests are all over the place. Start off fast, but then drop off down to low 700's.

So decided to do an actual download test. Seems I am able to pull between 110-115MB/s consistently, which equates to around 900mbps.

Switched back to the r7800 and did the same test, which yielded exactly the same result. 110-115MB/s.

So very confused. Can only assume the speedtests (both ookla and samknows) don't provide a very accurate result and actually the r7800 can provide almost full speed.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-11-2021, 15:31   #47
Gobble
cf.addict

Services: Gig1 SH4-AX86U, Stream
Gobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really niceGobble is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
So very confused. Can only assume the speedtests (both ookla and samknows) don't provide a very accurate result and actually the r7800 can provide almost full speed.
I've maintained the R7800 is very capable of handling the 940Mbps top speed. I've tried it against an AX86u and while I prefer the latter for marginally better Wifi range, speeds and latency - the former was getting the top speeds.

I do have issues with speedtests - it depends on the time, day etc, but I can mostly hit headline speeds.

Edit - Just done a Megabyte to megabit conversion, that comes in at 920Mbit... what exactly were you expecting to get? There is overhead to deal with, you will not see 1000 Mbit unless it's misreporting

Last edited by Gobble; 15-11-2021 at 15:37.
Gobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 16:33   #48
Lee
cf.addict

Lee is on a distinguished roadLee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobble View Post
I've maintained the R7800 is very capable of handling the 940Mbps top speed. I've tried it against an AX86u and while I prefer the latter for marginally better Wifi range, speeds and latency - the former was getting the top speeds.

I do have issues with speedtests - it depends on the time, day etc, but I can mostly hit headline speeds.

Edit - Just done a Megabyte to megabit conversion, that comes in at 920Mbit... what exactly were you expecting to get? There is overhead to deal with, you will not see 1000 Mbit unless it's misreporting
I'm happy with 920mbit - its just the speedtests were not showing anything near that. But clearly when doing an actual download it does hit that speed using my existing r7800.

So I'll be sending the new router back
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2021, 21:49   #49
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

If performance is varying down to 700s, I would consider that a very good service, I know its nice to see flatlined speeds, but it becomes less realistic at these type of speeds, and that's not low enough to affect any interactive services.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote