Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Old 20-12-2019, 20:00   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Well, it looks as though it is finally happening. The new Conservative Government is so angry with the Beeb over left wing bias by BBC interviewers and the flagship Radio 4 'Today' programme that it has indicated it is now prepared to consider scrapping the licence fee.

I suspect that this will be difficult (but not impossible) to achieve, mainly because anyone with older TV sets will not be able to 'unlock' the channels with a subscription, which appears to be the favoured means of achieving this change. The same problem is not presented for customers with a Sky, VM, BT or Talk Talk TV subscription or those with access to Freeview Play, etc. So this move will not be popular with pensioners, many of whom will not be able to afford to buy new equipment.

Radio will be a bigger problem, as most radio users will be able to continue to have free access to all their favourite radio stations, whether they subscribe or not.

I am an advocate of scrapping the licence fee to replace the current licence fee model, but I was not expecting this to be accomplished until the 2030s. I cannot see how they can implement this over the short term without upsetting rather a lot of people.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this problem will be overcome?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-12-2019, 20:06   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, it looks as though it is finally happening. The new Conservative Government is so angry with the Beeb over left wing bias by BBC interviewers and the flagship Radio 4 'Today' programme that it has indicated it is now prepared to consider scrapping the licence fee.

I suspect that this will be difficult (but not impossible) to achieve, mainly because anyone with older TV sets will not be able to 'unlock' the channels with a subscription, which appears to be the favoured means of achieving this change. The same problem is not presented for customers with a Sky, VM, BT or Talk Talk TV subscription or those with access to Freeview Play, etc. So this move will not be popular with pensioners, many of whom will not be able to afford to buy new equipment.

Radio will be a bigger problem, as most radio users will be able to continue to have free access to all their favourite radio stations, whether they subscribe or not.

I am an advocate of scrapping the licence fee to replace the current licence fee model, but I was not expecting this to be accomplished until the 2030s. I cannot see how they can implement this over the short term without upsetting rather a lot of people.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this problem will be overcome?
Ads.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 20:13   #3
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Ads.
Ha ha! Yes, might not go down well, apart from on Radio 1!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 20:21   #4
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The licence fee runs until 2027 and the fee itself to come up in 2022. I think most people, including the BBC, do expect the model to change in 2027.

Until then I think this is more about positioning and PR from the Government than any practical proposals they might have. Not doing the Andrew Neil interview, boycotting Today and only going to 'friendly' outlets is a more distributing trend but it's one we're seeing across politics these days.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Ha ha! Yes, might not go down well, apart from on Radio 1!
The BBC would run fine with ads but it'll ITV, Channel 4 and the rest that will worry about the BBC entering that market.

The most likely scenario is the BBC has a hybrid subscription model whereby some content is locked behind a paywall of sorts but the Government gives them money to air some of that programming for free on standard television and radio. Additionally they'll continue to provide public service broadcasting and news as part of that remit. The BBC has been increasingly aggressive about BBC Worldwide in their attempt to draw in revenue from abroad too which might allow them to survive without ads in the U.K.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 20:48   #5
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quite a few of the big projects are co-produced(ie funded) with others.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 20:51   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

It it does become a subscription, folks could end up paying considerably more. Compare the licence fee against what Sky or Virgin charge annually.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 21:02   #7
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It it does become a subscription, folks could end up paying considerably more. Compare the licence fee against what Sky or Virgin charge annually.
Only those who want it.
Old 20-12-2019, 21:15   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Only those who want it.
Well it you want quality original British drama that's the envy of the world, go for the BBC. If you want imported US crap and repeats go for Sky/VM.
Old 20-12-2019, 21:42   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Well it you want quality original British drama that's the envy of the world, go for the BBC. If you want imported US crap and repeats go for Sky/VM.
I go for neither.
Old 20-12-2019, 22:21   #10
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I would have thought a left leaning liberal such as yourself would have gladly seen off a universal tax such as the licence fee.
Old 20-12-2019, 22:36   #11
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
How much is actually fully made by the BBC?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 22:43   #12
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I would have thought a left leaning liberal such as yourself would have gladly seen off a universal tax such as the licence fee.
You thought wrong then (and it isn't universal, no TV, then no fee). However the fact the fee is widespread is why its so cheap (£13 a month) compared to other providers, and it produces more original programming.

There isn't a profit motive with the BBC, anything made goes back into programming, unlike commercial channels where if it doesn't make money, it's not made. That's why it's output unique and high quality, it has a public service remit. It goes beyond TV with national and local radio and ad free website. Mess with it and it'll become another down-market Sky/ITV and cost more, with less original output.

Is it my imagination or have we had several BBC licence fee bashing threads like this before, mostly started by OB ?

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The fact it's original programming is the important factor.
Old 21-12-2019, 00:55   #13
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The percentage is determined by the charter. I don’t know offhand but for first-run drama I’ve a feeling it’s roughly half and half. That’s not to say the rest is imported - what the BBC doesn’t make in-house it commissions. This became a thing in the 1980s as a deliberate decision of Thatcher’s government to stimulate independent tv production in the UK. We have a vibrant film and TV production industry in the UK as a result. It doubtless helps that the BBC is such a massive commissioner of original programming, and of course it is able to do so because the licence fee guarantees it a large and reliable income to spend on such programming.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2019, 07:30   #14
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Never really touch the BBC anymore. I remember when F1 was on there though.

Because whether you like the content is opinion based of course. I find I get better original content on Amazon and Netflix. So in a subscription model BBC, I'm out.

The only need for my TV licence is for Sky sports/BT sports and anything Amazon Live I suppose. So I'd welcome a scrappage of the fee too.
Old 21-12-2019, 09:09   #15
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The percentage is determined by the charter. I don’t know offhand but for first-run drama I’ve a feeling it’s roughly half and half. That’s not to say the rest is imported - what the BBC doesn’t make in-house it commissions. This became a thing in the 1980s as a deliberate decision of Thatcher’s government to stimulate independent tv production in the UK.
He means co-productions like Fleabag I think. However in those cases the BBC typically just seeks out the funding alone and still is the original commissioner. The deal usually means that the other funding partner gets it for non-UK distribution. As far as I know the only partner who takes an active role in production itself is HBO.

Quote:
We have a vibrant film and TV production industry in the UK as a result. It doubtless helps that the BBC is such a massive commissioner of original programming, and of course it is able to do so because the licence fee guarantees it a large and reliable income to spend on such programming.[
The BBC and the National Theatre are big reasons why the UK has such a high amount of writers, directors and actors doing well both here and in America.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote