Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Old 09-02-2021, 20:38   #676
PtolemyIV
cf.member

PtolemyIV is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Try connecting the other box up and see if it activates. Some boxes are auto-activating now.

They do seem to be sending 2x1TB boxes to some people. Maybe they are short of minis.
I had to phone up but the adviser was able to (reasonably!) quickly activate both and they seem to work thus far.. even set a recording on one and was able to then watch on the other albeit with a bit of lag to get started
PtolemyIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2021, 13:30   #677
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

For some reason the main box in the lounge has rebooted on first switching on this morning. Thought it might be an update but the other box came on straight away.

The affected box went through the Welcome, Bienvenue etc, etc screen then went blank with light turning blue. Switched on again and it went into reboot mode again. This time I waited until screen went blank and before indicator light had gone from yellow to blue I pressed the power button again and this time got it to fire up correctly.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2021, 18:45   #678
PtolemyIV
cf.member

I keep getting channels not working with a 'we are setting up your channels' error.. they don't seem to know how to fix it! Not even all channels
Old 20-02-2021, 21:26   #679
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Except, the more you go out the more you need to record as you are not in to watch it live.

It's all about time-shifting and removing the need to watch adverts.

I agree 1Tb is probably enough for some - however for others it is woefully inadequate.
I actually think that this is a deliberate move to ween people off recording programmes & using VOD or cloud recordings if/when this becomes available in the UK.

As streaming (or cloud recording) becomes more the norm, they will be able to stop us FFing through adverts and time limit how long we can timeshift matetial for.

I seldom use VOD as it's inferior in my experience.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 15:05   #680
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I actually think that this is a deliberate move to ween people off recording programmes & using VOD or cloud recordings if/when this becomes available in the UK.

As streaming (or cloud recording) becomes more the norm, they will be able to stop us FFing through adverts and time limit how long we can timeshift matetial for.

Agree with all your points - not sure why people feel the need to fix something that isn't broken, change for change sake
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 16:31   #681
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Except for the BBC iPlayer. There are (admittedly only a few) shows on iPlayer in UHD and HDR neither of which are currently available on broadcast BBC TV. They look stunning.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2021, 22:32   #682
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
Except for the BBC iPlayer. There are (admittedly only a few) shows on iPlayer in UHD and HDR neither of which are currently available on broadcast BBC TV. They look stunning.
True. My personal belief that VOD is inferior is also because:

- It often doesn't have subtitles.

- It's time limited before disappearing.

- You can't use QuickView.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2021, 07:01   #683
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

Being deaf the 'no subtitles' limits my choice of viewing.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 17:00   #684
PtolemyIV
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
Being deaf the 'no subtitles' limits my choice of viewing.
It really is unacceptable in the modern age - all VOD services should require consistent subtitling features with a global on/off setting.

Virgin finally improved the text beyond Ceefax quality but still haven't learn about transparent backgrounds / netflix style!

Definitely a topic as many people as possible should continue to raise complaints about.. my wife is foreign so certainly finds it useful for ease of interpretation of some of the more complex accents on TV in particular!
Old 28-02-2021, 19:02   #685
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtolemyIV View Post
Virgin finally improved the text beyond Ceefax quality but still haven't learn about transparent backgrounds / netflix style!
It's deliberate. Many people who need subtitles also have poor eyesight.

"For subtitles to be readable they need to be high contrast. Pre-prepared block subtitles are the best approach to providing accurate, easily legible and well-synchronised subtitles. Recommended colours are white, yellow, cyan and green against a solid black background as these provide the best contrast. "

(From ATVOD subtitling guidelines. Ofcom have a similar recommendation)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 08:28   #686
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's deliberate. Many people who need subtitles also have poor eyesight.

"For subtitles to be readable they need to be high contrast. Pre-prepared block subtitles are the best approach to providing accurate, easily legible and well-synchronised subtitles. Recommended colours are white, yellow, cyan and green against a solid black background as these provide the best contrast. "

(From ATVOD subtitling guidelines. Ofcom have a similar recommendation)
I admire the way Amazon Prime implements their subtitles with a choice of sizes.
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 19:43   #687
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

One of our boxes has had an onscreen message about a new software version 5, pressing the OK button to accept this just clears the message but no update takes place.

Both boxes are still on V 4.30 but this warning message only comes up on one box, first noticed yesterday morning?
Old 09-03-2021, 20:15   #688
lonespeaker
cf.member

lonespeaker is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
One of our boxes has had an onscreen message about a new software version 5, pressing the OK button to accept this just clears the message but no update takes place.

Both boxes are still on V 4.30 but this warning message only comes up on one box, first noticed yesterday morning?
Could be a software update for the TV or another connected device.
lonespeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 20:57   #689
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonespeaker View Post
Could be a software update for the TV or another connected device.
Should have gone to Specsavers, it was the TV.
Old 09-03-2021, 21:24   #690
fox35
cf.addict

Services: V6 x2, Bigger Bundle, Maxit TV & M350, Talk Wkends
fox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the roughfox35 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
V 4.30? When was this rolled out?
Both my boxes still on 4.29 after only recently updating from 4.28. What's new?
fox35 is offline   Reply With Quote