Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | samsung netbook memory upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

samsung netbook memory upgrade

Old 26-06-2011, 19:36   #16
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough
Re: samsung netbook memory upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
20-30mbs constantly to your router is very bad. It should be 2-3ms tops. Any more indicates congestion or other problems.
Thanks, I might try one of those dlink routers you suggested on the other thread. Seen them on eBay for less than a tenner. My router started playing up after a power cut a few weeks back to be honest.
I have one dlink bridge in my house and that seems really reliable and a local dlink router seems to show far less dropouts than others.
Still wouldn't touch netgear though. I have a few of those in pieces in the attic from my attempts to stop them constantly dropping out due to overheating.
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-06-2011, 23:57   #17
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

As I understand it, for the N2xx and N4x0 Atoms, it's DDR2 SODIMM, and while they say 800 (6400) it's only used at 667 (5300).

The N4x5 Atoms can be using DDR2 or DDR3.

For a number of models, it's recommended to update the BIOS (if available) before upgrading memory as some models with earlier revisions had problems recognizing 2GB.

If you don't want to open the back while under warranty, then try readyboost - if it has an SD card reader that you don't need for anything else, then you may be able to readyboost using a fast SD card.
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 17:38   #18
tvout
Inactive

Services: VM L Broadband (10MB) XL TV V+ HD Box Off peak caller phone HTC Wildfire on T-Mobile UK Freeview
tvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enoughtvout will become famous soon enough

Cheers Matth, I totally forgot about the warranty. It is a refurb and has over 11 months left on the warranty so think maybe it's not worth losing that for the memory upgrade. Generally it's using around 500-600MB at the moment so maybe 1GB might be ok or else I'll go for the SD card option maybe.
tvout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2011, 23:35   #19
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

There are a lot of arguments, and different policies, on computer upgrades and warranty, at least on things which ARE in a zone documented as user-upgradeable in the manual.

And PS. Kicking myself for buying a SD in Tesco (Sandisk Ultra 2GB) - 7dayshop had them a lot cheaper.
Autotest result (found in event viewer) had this as 3.2MB/s read (not that impressive, an old Tevion 1GB managed 4MB/s) and about 8GB/s write (now that IS quick).

Readyboost doesn't ADD memory, but it can boost boot, load and shutdown speed, when readyboosting over 512MB or 1GB (diminishing returns if you have 2GB RAM or better). Advantage of SD card readyboost (over USB drive), is that if you don't actually use the reader for anything else, it's fit & forget with no sticky-outy bits.

The other problem choosing a card, is that SDHC class, 100x/133x/150x/200x speeds or any claimed MB/s sequential transfer rates, do not always translate directly to readyboost performance profile's 4k random read and 512k random write - particularly for the 4k read, if the card has been tested anywhere and is poor for access time, that probably means poor for readyboost.

For JUST readyboost, 2GB seems adequate, though in tests, they often pair a 4GB with 1GB RAM - if you store other things on it as well, then you may want to go higher
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote