Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | samsung netbook memory upgrade

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

are these good enough specs for a gaming pc?

Old 24-06-2011, 10:37   #1
first timer
Inactive

first timer is an unknown quantity at this point
are these good enough specs for a gaming pc?

hello everyone i am new to the forum and would first like to say hi to everyone, ok to the question are thses specs good enough for a gaming pc because i know nothing about PCs:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit – English £68.15
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173791

Pioneer DVRS19LBK 24x DVD±RW DL & RAM with Labelflash SATA Optical Drive - Retail Box Black with Software £17.18
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/250228

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz (Sandy Bridge) Socket LGA1155 £159.98
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...23I52500K.html

Corsair Vengeance 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600Mhz Memory Kit CL9 £40.00
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...650TXV2UK.html

Samsung Spin Point F3 SATAII 1TB 32MB Cache Hard Drive <8.9ms 7200rpm – OEM £40.98
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/p...b/HD103SJ.html

Sapphire HD 6950 2GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDMI Dual DP Out PCI-E Graphics Card £210
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/253397

Asus P8Z68-V Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard £132.84
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/268480

and a tx 750w with nzxt phantom white case which i already have

ok so are these specs good because this will cost me around £830 so is it even worth that much?
this will be my first build and i just need a little help so any suggestions on parts i could have instead of the ones i suggested would be a help, also i have reached the top end of my budget so no parts that would cost over the prices of the parts listed please. thanks you
first timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2011, 11:10   #2
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura
Re: are these good enough specs for a gaming pc?

i7 & more RAM......imo
Old 24-06-2011, 11:14   #3
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Looks good, more ram would make it a bit more future proof, but ram is easy to add later.

If you don't have the budget I see no reason to push to an i7
Old 24-06-2011, 12:15   #4
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

I'll be radical and say do you need a £200 GPU? What about an HD 68x0 for around £150 and up the RAM to 8GB. Or add a WD Velociraptor (or even small SSD) as system drive to speed up program access.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 12:35   #5
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
I'll be radical and say do you need a £200 GPU? What about an HD 68x0 for around £150 and up the RAM to 8GB. Or add a WD Velociraptor (or even small SSD) as system drive to speed up program access.
I must disagree, for a gaming pc fast hard drive access has limited uses. Sure it's beneficial for loading times (assuming you can fit your games on the SSD) but once the game it loaded it ceases to contribute.

I have 6GB of RAM on my gaming pc and rarely approaching maxing that. Oddly enough I have 8GB on my laptop but that's because I have to process huge data files.
Old 24-06-2011, 12:53   #6
DocDutch
argh

Services: full house package
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze
DocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronzeDocDutch is cast in bronze

first of all First Timer.

the rig itself is good and would be alright for a couple of years of good gaming, out of interest which games are you playing or planning to play on the rig itself?

I also have to agree with Aragorn and suggest a cheaper card like this http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244474 and invest in either more ram or SSD for OS drive and depending on the size of SSD put some of the most played games on it.

---------- Post added at 12:53 ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 ----------

okay change of mind go with the 6870 and get a water cooling block for the I5... http://www.ebuyer.com/product/234187
DocDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 12:58   #7
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

It's a good spec for the price as I recently built one similar in spec for a fellow clan member, but with a 5870 instead.

The ram will be fine at the moment I have 8gb and I never seem to go above 2 or 3gb of ram being used.

As has been mentioned the price difference between the I5 2500 and the I7 2600 is not worth it unless you are going to start doing video and audio work on the pc as well.

As has already been mentioned though what games are you going to play at what resolution and what detail level do you want to run them at?

As for the HDD and SSD there are benefit's when loading windows and games but after that there is no difference in general game play when using a SSD over a HDD.
Old 24-06-2011, 12:59   #8
swoop101
cf.mega poster

swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal
swoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appealswoop101 has a bronzed appeal

The i5 2500k will overclock like mad, my new system is overclocked to 4.5Ghz
swoop101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 13:36   #9
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Have you factored in the cost of a good power supply and case. I don't see that mentioned.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 13:38   #10
Aragorn
Inactive

Aragorn has a nice shiny star
Aragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny starAragorn has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiNasty View Post
Have you factored in the cost of a good power supply and case. I don't see that mentioned.
Quote:
and a tx 750w with nzxt phantom white case which i already have
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 14:25   #11
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
Oops, next stop specsavers..
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 14:37   #12
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I don't think you need to go overboard these days, PC gaming seems to be going backwards. My 2-3 year old machine with a HD5850 will still run everything there is out at the moment all on max as games today seems to be mainly console ports.
Old 24-06-2011, 15:05   #13
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

I see nothing wrong at all with that spec. Indeed my next CPU upgrade is mostly likey to be the i5 2500. i7 2600 is just not worth the extra pounds for the marginal increase in performance. If in doubt check sites like anandtech.

In practice the 6950 card should also work very well. I've been a little confused as to the difference in the ATI 5xxx and 6xxx series cards and believe mostly is't about the physical sizing of the things on the chip with 6xxxx being more recent ech, thus buy a 6xxx card over a 5xxx card, but both are good enough for now.

SSD or HDD, I do see those with SSDs loading their maps quicker, but it's only 2 or 3 seconds. And a SSD is going to cost a lot more, for less storage so most people will still need a HDD as well as a SSD for their other data.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 15:27   #14
first timer
Inactive

first timer is an unknown quantity at this point

hello thanks for all the replies, the games i will be playing will be shogun 2 and other total war games (want them maxed out) , the sims 2,3 for the girlfreind , ermm just games like that really and maybe games like black ops and bc2. i just want a system i can max out games on because i've never really had a computer that plays many games

max res will be 1920 x 1080 on this monitor http://www.ebuyer.com/product/241902
first timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2011, 16:26   #15
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

For someone not knowing much you have picked a fairly well spec'd PC there. It will certainly have a lot of zing to it and have no trouble running the games you desire.