Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

Old 06-01-2022, 20:35   #181
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
On the contrary - the bakers’ defence throughout has been that they were nothing of the sort. They have said so under oath. It is no mere assumption to hold that position with regard to this case.

This has always been an argument that an individual cannot be compelled to speak contrary to their conscience. The bakers have stated repeatedly that they were happy to sell the plaintiff any cake in their shop but that they would not create a product containing a slogan contrary to their own sincerely held religious belief.

Compelled speech is, and must always be, prevented in law.

---------- Post added at 20:14 ---------- Previous post was at 20:08 ----------

I would be surprised if they are allowed to bring a fresh case on new grounds. It would ultimately be the same complaint, just with different legal arguments to be presented. Were they to try, it’s likely Ashers’ lawyers would move to have them declared vexatious litigants, which is not something you want against your name.
I said "their choice of bakers", so who did you think I was referring to as "their"? How could "their" refer to the bakers?

You're assuming that the complainants raison d'etre isn't to be "vexatious litigants". It started over 7 years ago, so what isn't "vexatious" about that?
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-01-2022, 20:44   #182
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
I said "their choice of bakers", so who did you think I was referring to as "their"? How could "their" refer to the bakers?

You're assuming that the complainants raison d'etre isn't to be "vexatious litigants". It started over 7 years ago, so what isn't "vexatious" about that?
Apologies … I read your words back to front and thought you were discussing the bakers’ motivation when you were actually referring to the complainant.

As to the other issue, it’s not vexatious to pursue appeals through the process set down in law, all the way to the Supreme Court if the legal arguments justify it (which clearly they did here).

However, for them to now go back to the county court (or whatever its equivalent in NI) would in my view be vexatious. The complainant felt injured and had a range of options when it came to persuading the court to side with him. If his legal team made bad arguments then that’s his loss.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 20:58   #183
nomadking
cf.mega poster

nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Apologies … I read your words back to front and thought you were discussing the bakers’ motivation when you were actually referring to the complainant.

As to the other issue, it’s not vexatious to pursue appeals through the process set down in law, all the way to the Supreme Court if the legal arguments justify it (which clearly they did here).

However, for them to now go back to the county court (or whatever its equivalent in NI) would in my view be vexatious. The complainant felt injured and had a range of options when it came to persuading the court to side with him. If his legal team made bad arguments then that’s his loss.
Over £250,000 being spent just by the NI Equality Commission, along with the costs of other people/organisations, over a cake costing £36.50, isn't vexatious?
Old 06-01-2022, 20:59   #184
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Over £250,000 being spent just by the NI Equality Commission, along with the costs of other people/organisations, over a cake costing £36.50, isn't vexatious?
No - vexatious has a particular meaning in law, and it wouldn’t apply to the process so far.

It most definitely is ridiculous though, and it leaves me wondering whether the complainant might have taken offence rather more easily than it was offered.
Old 06-01-2022, 21:02   #185
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Quote:
No - vexatious has a particular meaning in law, and it wouldn’t apply to the process so far.

It most definitely is ridiculous though, and it leaves me wondering whether the complainant might have taken offence rather more easily than it was offered.
As is all to often, there was no offence involved, just being awkward, bullying, and vindictive.
Old 06-01-2022, 21:06   #186
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
As is all too often, people not seeing past the headline.
Once he does that in the UK, it starts all over again. The grounds used to bring the case to the ECHR, hadn't been brought before the UK courts.

Ultimately they didn't discriminate against him as a customer, they just weren't prepared to produce that specific item. Just as halal-only Subways are (illegally) allowed to operate.
I did read the whole article thank you son.

Hence "appears"

Wind your neck in.
Old 06-01-2022, 22:19   #187
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Excellent.

We can all move on. He can choose to take his business elsewhere and they can choose to bake something that doesn’t make them feel uncomfortable.

As it should be.
Old 06-01-2022, 22:47   #188
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Is the cake shop still in business?

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

EDIT: Appears so: https://www.ashersbakingco.com/

Bigger than I thought, I had assumed it was a small shop and therefore this publicity/legal trouble might have been too much. Seems they're doing fine though.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 22:54   #189
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
We can all move on. He can choose to take his business elsewhere and they can choose to bake something that doesn’t make them feel uncomfortable.
As should have happened 7 [or whatever] years ago, instead of all this legal nonsense.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 22:58   #190
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The lawyers can go to cake shops and ask for cakes with £50 note designs on them. Lots of them.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:31   #191
Blackshep
cf.addict

Blackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to allBlackshep is a name known to all

This is a blast from the past I always thought this was a setup by someone who knew the religious position of the bakers and wanted to create a situation. Good to hear the shops still in business despite this faux outrage of the idiot that started all this.
Blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 09:11   #192
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Is the cake shop still in business?

---------- Post added at 22:47 ---------- Previous post was at 22:46 ----------

EDIT: Appears so: https://www.ashersbakingco.com/

Bigger than I thought, I had assumed it was a small shop and therefore this publicity/legal trouble might have been too much. Seems they're doing fine though.
All publicity is good publicity in a fair number of cases.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:14   #193
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I agree with the ruling in the end that you can't compel someone to create a message and it's not the same as refusing service.

That said given the size of the business, multiple stores and a supplier for supermarkets, I do wonder why someone else in the business couldn't make the cake? I originally thought it was a single, independent, baker run by this couple and they personally had to bake it against their religious beliefs.

If you're religious and you run a business is it the case that those values should flow down the entire company? That the business itself cannot produce the cake irrespective of the personal beliefs of the person actually writing that message?

Last edited by Damien; 07-01-2022 at 10:26.
Damien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 11:30   #194
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
I agree with the ruling in the end that you can't compel someone to create a message and it's not the same as refusing service.

That said given the size of the business, multiple stores and a supplier for supermarkets, I do wonder why someone else in the business couldn't make the cake? I originally thought it was a single, independent, baker run by this couple and they personally had to bake it against their religious beliefs.

If you're religious and you run a business is it the case that those values should flow down the entire company? That the business itself cannot produce the cake irrespective of the personal beliefs of the person actually writing that message?

That could get to be a slippery slope. If the basic ethos of the business is in line with the individuals then beliefs may be part of the whole.
Old 07-01-2022, 12:00   #195
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

It’s not unusual for a business to have an ethos which it expects its employees to have due regard to. There are plenty of companies, for example, that explicitly identify themselves as vegan and cite ethical reasons for being so. They may or may not insist their employees are vegan (though that might not be legal) but they will expect employees to toe the line and be sufficiently in sympathy with the company’s aims and objectives to be able to do their jobs, whether that be product design, communication, sales or marketing or whatever.