Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Vpn ipsec/pptp?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Vpn ipsec/pptp?

Old 19-05-2009, 08:45   #1
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age
Vpn ipsec/pptp?

Currently I'm using a PPTP vpn as i'm on a unsecured wi-fi network (Free Wifi on the train im on)

I suspect it's better than just sending everything in the clear but I'm not overly sure how secuire it is both ends are setup not to accept anything under 128Bit encryption.

I was trying to setup an IPSEC connection last night but was failing terribly, Was using shrew VPN client to a try and IPSEC to a pfSense firewall however it always failed phase1, not sure if it was becuase I was on a mobileBB dongle at the time.

I tried upgrading the pfSense install to 2.23RC1 as that supposedly adds NAT-T support but that didn't fix it either.

I think I also need to reconfigure the machine/firewall it so it cannot send data over the wi-fi when the VPN is being re-established as at the moment it isn't configured to do so which isn't very good as various things try to autoconnect and whist my email client (And hopefully msn messenger) uses SSL the IRC connection to my BNC doesn't (Although saying that it's not the end of the world if someone sniffed my IRC password, its different to everything else). Although Ideally I'd need a quick way to do it as when i'm on my home wi-fi I'd rather not have to VPN to get anywhere.

Any reccomendations?
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement